Article: Windows Phone?s Downward Spiral Reaches The Bottom

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I kinda wish Microsoft was more transparent about their future within Windows mobile. We can speculate/assume all day long and say the proverbial "handwriting is on the wall" but until Satya Nadella or Terry Myerson or some other executive specially says that Windows Mobile is dead, it's pure speculation and borderline FUD.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Very true! I still love my 950 XL. I don't care how many W10M users there are. I'll keep using it because I like it. I've tried IOS and Android. No thank you!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Very true! I still love my 950 XL. I don't care how many W10M users there are. I'll keep using it because I like it. I've tried IOS and Android. No thank you!

That's my issue... I don't like the alternatives, so W10M remains my best option.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I kinda wish Microsoft was more transparent about their future within Windows mobile. We can speculate/assume all day long and say the proverbial "handwriting is on the wall" but until Satya Nadella or Terry Myerson or some other executive specially says that Windows Mobile is dead, it's pure speculation and borderline FUD.

I agree but as the article states, MSFT will keep W10M alive so they can be ready for the next generation of Intel based phones. It's actually a pretty good strategy. Prepare for the future while on the sidelines, then come in when the waters right leaving the other two in the dust. It will take many years, but I can see it happening.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, that at this moment it is mostly a big bubble around the internet, mainly speculated by other companies to scare people away from MS and go for their devices
agree but as the article states, MSFT will keep W10M alive so they can be ready for the next generation of Intel based phones. It's actually a pretty good strategy. Prepare for the future while on the sidelines, then come in when the waters right leaving the other two in the dust. It will take many years, but I can see it happening.
That mostly change as much as W10M today, because other companies not going to fall behind that hardware, so there won't be any big difference or any at all. I don't get the idea at all, what is so bad at the moment about current Flagships 950/950XL, they are in no shape of form worse then other, in some scenarios they are even better. Lumias or Surface Phones will come with their Intel, but Samsung, Sony, or Apple not gonna stay the same as they are now too. Main problem is mainstream and not a hardware or OS, because most people go for whats popular, MS lack their advertisement and sellout reviews, but do we MS fans want it, mainstream?

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I understand what your saying and agree with some of it, however the "big 2" will need to keep up in their race to be #1. While msft can tool and work its insider base of fans to do all the human testing needed to find that next new "thing" thats going to supercharge our perception of mobile technology. Much as Motorola did with the flip phone.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I understand what your saying and agree with some of it, however the "big 2" will need to keep up in their race to be #1. While msft can tool and work its insider base of fans to do all the human testing needed to find that next new "thing" thats going to supercharge our perception of mobile technology. Much as Motorola did with the flip phone.
I disagree.
I won't keep up being a "fan base" so MS can take their time. Enough is enough.
I bought 2 1020 64gb full price (and boy, they were EXPENSIVE here in Brazil). I bought a 640 AND a 640xl. I was seriously about to buy both the 1520 and the 930 - also EXPENSIVE. I almost bought a Band, which is not sold in my country and has no warranty or support.
Always a promisse. Always something coming around the corner. Never quite there.

Sorry. Too much money. Too much investing. Too much time and effort spent.

Both 950 and 950 xl are disappointments. Expensive, buggy devices. What, 10 is not ready? Well, BUHUUU. It SHOULD be ready. Anything you waste money into SHOULD BE READY!
iOS is a joke, but it WORKS! Android is laggy only for low to mid-ends. Heck, I have the mid X Play and, guess what?, it doesn't lag. AT ALL! Also, while the 1020's pics were the best there were, my Note 5 is NO DISAPPOINTMENT WHATSOEVER, and for the same price I get a working OS, with plenty of support.

Let MS sell the future when there's a future in sight. I'm tired of buying into past-to-be-future-that-never-is.

Nadela is not worried? Why SHOULD he? He's bringing money in the short term, and the short-sighted investors are happy.

Meanwhile, the biggest, most profitable tech company is making 60%+ of it's earnings selling mobile phones. Also, more and more people leave PCs and focus on mobile access.
There's no future outside the phone computing. Not in the forseeable future.

How long people will NEED Office?
How long untill dropbox, iCloud, box, etc eat into OneCloud services?
Do you really think MS will just simply come out with something that no one can do, that it will magicaly shift people from their OSs into WM?

Keep buying. Let MS screw you some more.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Note 5?? With samdungs bloat on it? No thanks. I had a note 3 because I thought, as a cabbie the OTG note taking with the pen would be great. How many times did I use the gimmicky pen in 2 years?? Approx 9 or 10. Even a device with the specs it had, slowed down over time with the antutu scores dropping off markedly. On top of that, Google want to know everything about you! The constant data required by google is obscene. Even when I cooked ROMs for the note 3, it still suffered bad memory bleed, and that's with all of the bloat removed and the ability to use lionheart to overclock the chip.

From what I have read, the sales of iOS devices is on the decline. There is only so many times you can reinvent the wheel, and it looks as if, hopefully, apples bubble is about to burst. You also have to need you ego massaged as an iOS user because the cases come with a hole to show the logo. It's not about the device or OS, it's the badge. A bit like car snobbery.

MSFT? Who knows? Maybe they have something up their sleeve. Only they know that? Maybe if they had advertised the continuum on the 950, they may have converted a few more users. Me? I love continuum. My desk is so much tidier now!!

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
C'mon. REALLY?
It's BAD because you didn't use the pen enough?
The memory bleed on YOUR cooked ROM was Samsung's fault?
COME OOOOOOONNNNN!!!

Don't you know that EVERY APP in the store requires permissions? Permissions to access your very data? EVERY-SINGLE-APP-YOU-INSTALL-IN-YOUR-LUMIA.
I guess since you don't know overclocking the chip does NOTHING to prevent your poorly spiced, home cooked ROM from leaking memory, no, you never took the time and care to check WHAT exactly MS, Bing and your downloaded apps are gattering.
You have a tidier desk? I've had it for YEARS, because Android can handle desktop tasks for most of the stuff. Because it has APPS, because the OS is ENABLED, and even if I wanted to use an external monitor/screen, it's been available for YEARS! Nothing new here. Have you heard of the Motorola's Atrix? Yeah, years ago, worked perfectly well. Didn't make it, though, because people don't care that much about it. Period.
Maybe, you say? Up their sleeve? Up, all right, but not theirs, and not the sleeve. Apple is selling less, because EVERYBODY is. The smartphone MARKET is getting saturated, and in this scenario, MS phone sales dropped, what, 50%, and from a 2% market share? That's a perfect position to de-throne Apple, all right. And since MICROSOFT is printed in the front panel, that "hole in the back" comment is just silly: Apple users can choose to show their logo, you can't hide yours!
Maybe you don't know what you're talking about? COME-ON!!!

And then you have a snappy 950 running, well, NOTHING? And reseting madly while at it? Come on! Come on! COME ON!!!
Calling it "samdung" is a 12-year-old's argument. One could say Poop$oft and there would be no point, either. Samsung (and Android) is not perfect as in NO DEVICE/OS is perfect. But it WORKS, it has a MARKET, it runs real, official APPS, and it makes PROFIT. You oppose THAT with "who knows"? With yet ANOTHER PROVISORY ITERATION of an MS attemp at mobile phone computing? Com... oh, well...

Really, not to be the one holding the truth, here, but for this discussion to go anywhere, people can't just blurt stuff out. Telling people to keep buying, and then keep hoping, and then, when all goes wrong again and they reset the entire system AGAIN, to buy another time because, well, MAYBE they get it right the next time, or the next, or the next... That's just WRONG!

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Memory bleed was far worse on Samsung's / google stock rom. The only rom where you could see a marked improvement was the base Cyanogen roms, which were vanilla. Even then, after a while things, would gradually deteriorate. Android isn't bad per see, it's had the same niggling issues for a long time now. The switch from Dalvik to ART, providing your device could run it, was an improvement. The way in which the hardware deals with the roms is quite inefficient as well. And then you have OEM support. To continue selling devices, they seem to drop support pretty quickly. Hence the rather buoyant xda forums. One of the few ways to keep up is to go custom. That's ok until Knox was implemented in the same way that HTC had S-Off / on. At the other end of the spectrum, you have the fan One+ devices where you are actively encouraged to tinker with roms.
I going to ride out the storm with MSFT and see where we end up.

By the way vet. Stop shouting. I know how to cook ROMs, I've been doing it for years. I still do with many happy users. This us about MSFT, not personal digs and implied failures / blame / inept ability. 12 years old?? I wish. I've had many dealings with, ahem, Samsung (ok?)
and found their customer service and warranty people as evasive and patronising as MSFT. Been a very long night and time for bed. Enough said. Signing off...

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

It is just like the philosophy in life : When you are No.1, you are pressurized to compete and stay as No.1. And, that means there will be less innovation (to say clearly - you tend to copy others, rather than innovate). But, when you are far behind, you don't worry about the race, you worry about innovating and improving over time (even if it takes some time).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa