Will battery problems in wm10 ever be fixed ?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I jumped into insider preview with my 920 when build 586.11 became available, main reason why I later had to roll back was battery drain problems. Yesterday I installed insider preview after a while (586.63), but again, I experienced that annoying moment when "turn on cellular data" is equals to "turn on enormous, unexplainable battery drain (~20%/h while idle)". :( Do you guys/girls have any idea whe will this be fixed ? Or maybe you have discovered some kind of workaround ?

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I've got a fix for that. Just stay on WP 8.1, lol.

Seriously now, I am experiencing the ridiculous battery drain on my Lumia 930 too. I've had battery problems since builds 586.x. The previous build, 581, was fine in terms of battery, if I remember correctly.

I seriously wonder what those 586.x builds "fixed" as I keep experiencing the same problems (battery life, UI bugs, no email notifications, no SMS notifications and so on ...) through all of them.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Damn, I was thinking of buying 930, because I thought It would handle preview better while using less battery, but now I'm confused.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Man, 930 was never known for a good battery life. Even on 8.1 it doesn't really shine, I used to get about a day of battery life which is not bad but, at the same time, not great either.

On W10M sometimes I even need to charge my phone twice a day which is ridiculous.

Other then that, it's a great phone, I love it. It handles the new system really smooth. I believe they will resolve the battery issues sooner or later.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a 930. As much as I loved having all that power in something that wasn't "1520" big, that battery life was just horrid.

I easily get 1.5-2 days out of my 950.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat with my 928, disabled messaging from running in background and never used it again, boom, 8.1 battery is back, it even feels faster than 8.1 sometimes, just not as consistent-smooth, kind of like 90%, messaging+skype was really killing this thing in every way possible, it made me remember how was life with the n97

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat with my 928, disabled messaging from running in background and never used it again, boom, 8.1 battery is back, it even feels faster than 8.1 sometimes, just not as consistent-smooth, kind of like 90%, messaging+skype was really killing this thing in every way possible, it made me remember how was life with the n97

I had the same experience, when disabling skype from messaging, the battery life improved a lot. Still, my L930 never got me a full day of battery life on W10M. The thing is i really used my phone a lot. Then during the weekend I wasn't working and didn't use my phone that much and only did some, FB, calling and texting. In the evening my battery was still at 44%, which i find amazing. Didn't think win 10 is yet capable of such a thing as battery lasting for 1,5 days hahah :) So it is slowly but surely improving :D We'll just have to wait.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
At this point they still have some areas to improve battery life while firmware updates should also be coming to help the situation

The earliest reviews of the 930 mentioned quite a lot of the mediocre battery life.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had a 930. As much as I loved having all that power in something that wasn't "1520" big, that battery life was just horrid.

Man, 930 was never known for a good battery life. Even on 8.1 it doesn't really shine, I used to get about a day of battery life which is not bad but, at the same time, not great either.

So much this. The 930 and the Icon just do not have great battery life. You can get through a day with moderate usage. But on the days where you really need it, on the road, meetings, long phone calls, etc... It's just not going to last. You answer two emails and you're down from 100% to 93%. It's just the way it is. HD display, smallish battery. Wp8.1 or W10M, the batterys not going to last long.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the latest build, 10586.63 on my Lumia 830.

Regardless if my phone was on WP8.1 or in W10M, my phone could only last less than a full day (from 7.30am to 8.00pm), but that's alright because I am a heavy user (checks Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, AppRaisin, Windows Central, Store for updates, and repeat the cycle once more, and I do this about 6-7 times a day. I spend about 15 minutes doing all of these for each 'session'.).

But what I've noticed is that the battery life of my 830 is slightly better on W10M compared to when it was on WP8.1.

Usually, after doing all of the stuff I've listed above during my normal day, the battery on WP8.1 would have about <10% battery. Now on W10M, I'd get about 15-20% battery left.

My phone is on WiFi almost all of the time as my accommodation and university has free WiFi, but outside of those places I'd turn on my Cellular Data (I usually make it a habit to turn off the data whenever I'm near a WiFi area as I'd like to save on bandwith). Also, I set my brightness to Low all the time (unless I'm using my phone under direct sunlight), Location turned off, and all my apps are running in the background save for Readit.

So, yeah. I guess W10M has been kind to me? :3

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I've got a fix for that. Just stay on WP 8.1, lol.

Seriously now, I am experiencing the ridiculous battery drain on my Lumia 930 too. I've had battery problems since builds 586.x. The previous build, 581, was fine in terms of battery, if I remember correctly.

I seriously wonder what those 586.x builds "fixed" as I keep experiencing the same problems (battery life, UI bugs, no email notifications, no SMS notifications and so on ...) through all of them.

I remember one of those builds had great battery life I think 10572 but after that build it's been downhill

Sent from mTalk

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Your 950 is running build .63? How is the experience?
I'm on .29 I've enjoyed a mostly glitchless, stable and long-lasting user experience.

I only say "mostly" because when I bought it, I was definitely one of the users with stuck updates. Microsoft pushed an update through though and it vanished... so I've had none of the six-second audio popping, 4K recording crashes, overheating, poor battery life or anything. Phone only gets warm on me when I play Modern Combat 4/5 online at 75%/100% brightness or stream games from my gaming PC with KinoConsole.

Win10all

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
question: keep both data and wifi on or just data on to save more battery? i thought if i keep both on, then phone will use wifi first ( which use less battery power compare to 4G data). but once leave home, the phone will use data, but at the same time, it may also 'search' for wifi. has anyone try to experience the differences?

Wajeeh Maaz

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had battery issues since the first insider build on my 635 and they're still there. I usually get a day at least on 8.1 and now it struggles to get me through school, usually failing on the bus. Also the constant app crashes and lag is a nuisance. When stable 10M is awesome, but right now it's just killing me.
Also I'm about to disable skype in the background, see what it does

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I jumped into insider preview with my 920 when build 586.11 became available, main reason why I later had to roll back was battery drain problems. Yesterday I installed insider preview after a while (586.63), but again, I experienced that annoying moment when "turn on cellular data" is equals to "turn on enormous, unexplainable battery drain (~20%/h while idle)". :( Do you guys/girls have any idea whe will this be fixed ? Or maybe you have discovered some kind of workaround ?
1) Skype. - go to skype video, tap '..', settings then sign out. Use the 8.1 skype instead
2)Message backups - open messaging app, tap '...', settings then 'toggle sync messages between devices'
3) Turn off bluetooth when you aren't using it
Those are the only ones I know that could help

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12