The Best and Worst of WP in one day...Again!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I recently wrote an entry with a similar title. But I had a similar experience again today.Here's how my 1520/WP made me proud and irritated in the same in the same day.

The good: My wife and I go to the local arboretum for some R&R. It was a beautiful day. So I decide to take some pics. I mean wow...as you can imagine awesome pics. Then we decide to go to a Mavericks game. So I buy the tickets on stubhub and get an uber. Of course I use Cortana. She even told me when it was time to leave once I got the email confirmation. My wife is impressed.

The bad: This is where my good experience ends. Long story short...the app gap got me. The stubhub app is crap. First...i couldn't order the tickets on the app (had to use website). Then i couldn't even bring up the tickets in the app. Now you might say what's the big deal...just use the email pdf, right? Well...i tried that. The email brought up the pdf but that couldn't scan at the door. So I'm stuck at the door and would have to go back outside to the box office to print the tickets. ERR! So I get on my wife's samsung edge, download stubhub, sign in and what do u know....The proper barcode comes up in the app for my tickets instantly. I had to pull over to the side for like 5 min to sort it out while there was a line behind me. What would of happened if my wife was not there?

The lesson. The Hardware and even UI are great. But seriously...having a WP is literally an inconvenience. That's just the truth. I didn't need it to do anything special today except basic smartphone functions. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back for me.

Just my mussing's.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering here.. The situation you described doesn't have much to do with the phone, but mostly with the app situation :/ leaving the phone behind for one app?

If you told me you were disappointed with the camera I would understand, as it is developed by MS (I think you're using the stock camera app instead of a third-party app), but stubhub? MS did not design the app.Talk to the developers :/

As for the browser, ok you have a point and again I'm assuming that you're using the stock browser. Maybe Opera mini?

In any case, find a phone and system that works for you :) there's no point in staying and frustrating yourself. Come back when you feel like the platform has matured enough, provided we do actually make it that far

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering here.. The situation you described doesn't have much to do with the phone, but mostly with the app situation :/ leaving the phone behind for one app?

If you told me you were disappointed with the camera I would understand, as it is developed by MS (I think you're using the stock camera app instead of a third-party app), but stubhub? MS did not design the app.Talk to the developers :/

As for the browser, ok you have a point and again I'm assuming that you're using the stock browser. Maybe Opera mini?

In any case, find a phone and system that works for you :) there's no point in staying and frustrating yourself. Come back when you feel like the platform has matured enough, provided we do actually make it that far

No not just one app ☺ My point is that WP in many ways is now becoming inconvenient (at least for me).

montera

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
"If you told me you were disappointed with the camera I would understand, as it is developed by MS". I agree in the "spiritual" context but the 1520 camera is a Nokia product, designer Tampere camera unit.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
No not just one app ☺ My point is that WP in many ways is now becoming inconvenient (at least for me).

I do understand your predicament.. However subjective the app gap may be, the reality of it all is that if developers aren't supporting this platform or everybody is leaving or just leaving a beta version of their app here, it won't be long before this platform starts dying out....

Heck as Cortana starts to improve on other platforms combined with office files, what's the point in sticking it out here lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
"If you told me you were disappointed with the camera I would understand, as it is developed by MS". I agree in the "spiritual" context but the 1520 camera is a Nokia product, designer Tampere camera unit.

You could've just quoted me :D but valid point. I view it as a MS product, because it would be weird if they didn't change/modify the algorithm somewhat

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Help me understand. How is that part of the problem?

People have become so lazy it's scary. I can sit on my butt, close my curtains, adjust the lights, fire up the crackpot (ad nauseam) and never move a muscle. People with the Band 2 fitness band want their weight to be updated, to the phone, by their expensive connected scale rather than having to actually enter it. Visions of 'Wall-e' come to me.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
People have become so lazy it's scary. I can sit on my butt, close my curtains, adjust the lights, fire up the crackpot (ad nauseam) and never move a muscle. People with the Band 2 fitness band want their weight to be updated, to the phone, by their expensive connected scale rather than having to actually enter it. Visions of 'Wall-e' come to me.

Ok. But I'm not sure what that has to do with my OP.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have learned that if I need a code to be scanned, I take a snapshot of it. No sense in having to bring up the app, log in, call up the code again. Or visit website, etc.

Buy tix, download as pdf. And/or save it to OneDrive and onto phone storage. I do it all the time with movie tix. Screenshots with phone auto uploads to my OneDrive.

And you can also print out the code as a backup plan. 😁

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was more a general thought, but it comes from statements such as 'I couldn't do x (in your case buy a ticket in an app) and I'm so pissed'.
That's just the nature of technology. All things advance and result in more convenience for people. For example, microwave ovens are used in just about all houses nowadays but were considered cutting edge in the early 70s. Most people would not want to just wait to use a conventional oven to heat up their leftovers these days. Someone would also not wish to walk or rely on a bicycle, rather than a car to go somewhere. Doing things on smartphones is just the latest innovation, like the others.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was more a general thought, but it comes from statements such as 'I couldn't do x (in your case buy a ticket in an app) and I'm so pissed'.

I here you. I would agree in general that our reliance on technology is unhealthy.

In the experience I note, however, it really was an inconvenience. I was out and about (at the arboretum when we decided to go to the game). I didn't have time to do a work around, print the tickets (I was out and had no printer) or whatever else. Now that I think of it...maybe I could have just went to the ticket booth. If I remember correctly I believe there was a long line at ticket counter meaning that I would have lost more time not in the game (we got there just when it started) because my OS didn't carry a quality app with simple features But that's the whole point of the OP, why should I even have to do that in 2016 when both IOS and Android wouldn't cause me this kind of inconvenience? And yes it was an inconvenience.

My experience is only a small example of why the app gap actually matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077