Idea to get Continuum for ALL Existing Windows Phones

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I put this in the feedback to MS, hope it gets picked up.

1) Introduce landscape mode throught the OS, including Start Screen and Action Centre.

2) Incorporate Universal Apps for core and important apps like Facebook, 6tag, etc, like they are for OneNote, Office, Saavn, etc.

3) Enable USB OTG for older devices, supporting Keyboard, Mouse and pen drives.

4) Figure out a way for the mobile display mirroring to adapt to different sized displays.

Done! I have used the Universal apps in Landscape Mode, and they work pretty much like their desktop counterparts, so why not get landscape mode throughout the OS so that screen mirroring works pretty much like Continuum, as if using tablet mode. Not sure why they haven't already done it. I understand we wouldn't have dual display, but I gather that's a GOOD thing as it saves computing power and won't cause my phone to heat up.

This should work for almost all Windows Phones, unless there is some extreme limitation I am unaware of or haven't considered.

What do you think?

(Would like comments from the Windows Central authors)

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Need special hardware to support a dual (mirrored) display. Most older Lumia phones don't have this hardware.
Memory requirements? The 950 series has 3GB, most of the older phones have 1GB max (some only 512MB).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Need special hardware to support a dual (mirrored) display. Most older Lumia phones don't have this hardware.
Memory requirements? The 950 series has 3GB, most of the older phones have 1GB max (some only 512MB).

some have 2Gb like my 1020 but you're right about special hardware

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I get that, I think I misspoke. I meant that we can wirelessly or with a wire project our phone screens onto another display, for making presentations etc. Its a part of the OS, hence any device regardless of RAM should be able to do that.

PS I know and already mentioned that Dual Display is not possible, and that's OK, cuz you're getting a make shift continuum experience

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You know, it's weird but the feature phones that some of us have like Nokia 2700c or Nokia X2-00 could connect with your TV via USB and you could access the content such as music and photos

Now with either windows 8.1 or 10 you can't access the content via USB. Connect to any TV using USB and the phone just charges but you can't access content. This was a real step backwards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss