How do I change the registered email address in Windows 10 preview?

Bill Holtrop

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
changing registered email address windows 10 preview

How or where can I change my registered email address for windows 10 preview?

From the start when Windows started with their preview I did an registration with a email address in used in that time.
Now, running windows 10 as an insider and geregisterd with a Microsoft account and using a new Microsoft mail address, in settings my PC is saying: Get Insider Preview builds.

Now I'm thinking if I make my geregisterd email the same as the one I'm using with the Microsoft account, this will be solved.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: changing registered email address windows 10 preview

How or where can I change my registered email address for windows 10 preview?

From the start when Windows started with their preview I did an registration with a email address in used in that time.
Now, running windows 10 as an insider and geregisterd with a Microsoft account and using a new Microsoft mail address, in settings my PC is saying: Get Insider Preview builds.

Now I'm thinking if I make my geregisterd email the same as the one I'm using with the Microsoft account, this will be solved.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the site.

I just want to make sure I know where we are and where we need to end up.

When Insider started last spring, you signed up as XXX@email1. But that wasn't the Microsoft Account you have now? Have you abandoned the account? Can you still sign in to the Insider Dashboard on the web with that email address?

So now when you log on to your computer you are using YYY@email2 for the Microsoft Account? Has it been that way long? And the PC is still receiving Insider Builds? Is YYY@email2 also registered for Insider?

Please correct any of that if it is mistaken information...

On the original account, is there any data or App ownerships that you can't part with?
Likewise on the new account, anything that must be kept?

Bill Holtrop

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for your replay.

Yes, I'm an insider from last spring with my xxx-email1 and has received update from time to time. Since end last year I noticed my updates has been changed into Windows update (the laste one 10586.71.) and not to build 14257 (the last update).
During a long time I got mails on that address from GabeAul, but that has change now to info's in the insider hub.

Yes, I log in to my computer with yyy-email2 for my Microsoft Account witch is not registered for insider

Your last question, if I understand good. All apps etc are with yyy-email2 and everything with xxx-email1 doesn't has to be kept.

Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Great. Thanks for the details.

What I suggest is use the yyy-email2 (the one you log on to the computer with) and use that to log onto your Microsoft Account in browser.

From your dashboard > click "Your Info" tab > "Manage your sign-in email or phone number"

On the page this takes you to it should have the header "Manage your account aliases." The email address should be your yyy@email2 under the "Account alias" section.

Click > Add email > add the xxx@email1 under "Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias" > Keep yyy@email2 PRIMARY and only add xxx@email1 as SECONDARY

Then do this using the xxx@email1 address:
Go to the following website https://insider.windows.com/Sign In using the credentials that you used to sign up.
At the top of the page, click the Leave Program tab.
Confirm that you want to leave.
Note: This will only remove your participation in the Insiders Program.

Now you are all set with yyy@email2 as your primary address for your Microsoft Account, the xxx@email1 is folded in to your Primary Account as an alias and is removed from the Insider Program.

I would reboot at this point.

Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Advanced Options > Get Insider Preview Build > click the "Get Started" button and sign up your computer using the yyy@email2 address.

Wipe your brow after all that hard work. LOL

Bill Holtrop

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for your clear info and instructions. I have done so and now, really, it's okay :smile:

Great result!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello I have just married and my new wife wants to change her E/Mail address/name details please advise how she does this

This would be for the currently in use Microsoft Account?

She should log in using the current info here: Microsoft account. A single login to services and devices.

And she should be able to edit personal details.

Changing the email address associated with the Microsoft Account and not loosing data, app ownership, etc. gets a bit trickier. Have a peek at my guide: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ft-account-without-resetting-your-device.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos