Critical phone experience breaking battery level bug on builds of 10586

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I misread your question...sure, it's possible. But, like the others have said, batteries don't last forever and it's most likely it has become faulty.

Now, the whole "I didn't download and install but restarted my phone and appears .29 update with battery problems starting 'back then' "...
Are saying that you encountered battery problems when you received a notification to install .29?

P.s the phone is almost 2 years.. May end would make it two.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
A little update to the situation.
I just encountered a force shut down when reading some pdf documents. I then plug in the charger and the phone starts. The battery % was roughly 50% when the phone shuts itself down and it was 2% when it restart with the charger plugged in.
I then remove the charger once the phone is unlocked (phone wont even start without a power source) and I have been using it at 2% for 2 hours with web browsing and some light gaming.
Seems weird and definitely not related to old battery in my opinion but I still appreciate all your inputs and opinions.

I would also say faulty battery I guess like mine.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
It is very very strange. The battery is clearly discharging... Otherwise, I don't know what the phone is running on.
P.s. I am still on 2%.

The Extreme G

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It is very very strange. The battery is clearly discharging... Otherwise, I don't know what the phone is running on.
P.s. I am still on 2%.

1) You can argue the fact about the OS being at fault but an old and worn out battery will make your phone act in the exact way as you described.
2) You can roll back to 8.1 and gauge it yourself. You will most likely encounter the same erratic battery usage as well.
3) Battery apps to monitor charge cycles and such are useless. They would need to read that info from the battery itself which they don't. You could be well beyond the charge cycle that the app is reporting. Even then, batteries can wear out long before the estimated life expectancy.

I'm not sure what anybody else can tell you beyond what has already been stated from others.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Ok. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Here is what I have done.
First, I backed up all files and do a hard reset without restoring and restoring points back to wp 8.1.
I then installed gfx bench from the store and stress test it on battery. It ran through all the test without any problem and it consumed roughly 15% of the juice from the battery.
Next, I upgraded to w10m on the fast ring then do a hard reset to its clean w10m installation and completely recharge the phone.
I then again run all the stress test and the phone pop off after running only two of the sub-tests. Similarly, it wont turn on on battery and so I plug the charger in and the battery dropped to 10% from 100% before benchmark. It then takes roughly 10mins to charge from 10% to 100%.
And finally, I reset the phone once more and returned to my previously backed up restore point.
So........ Suggestions?

henry-c-n

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Been experiencing similar battery anomalies on my 1520 with all recent builds (with a hard reset following the new build, though restoring data and programs from backup afterwards). Usually the system adapts after a while with reasonable battery life (though a fast drain overnight of about 24% for an 8-9 hr quiet time). Just switched to the new insider release preview and had instant drain down with that install, but will see what happens after a full recharge. Maybe the battery is old but I haven't gone back to 8.1 to test this. I agree that it is probably software-related.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Been experiencing similar battery anomalies on my 1520 with all recent builds (with a hard reset following the new build, though restoring data and programs from backup afterwards). Usually the system adapts after a while with reasonable battery life (though a fast drain overnight of about 24% for an 8-9 hr quiet time). Just switched to the new insider release preview and had instant drain down with that install, but will see what happens after a full recharge. Maybe the battery is old but I haven't gone back to 8.1 to test this. I agree that it is probably software-related.

I tested it with clean wp8 and w10m and it appears that only w10m exhibit this behaviour.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience on a Motorola Droid Turbo last year and it turned out to be the wireless charger I was using! I had switched to the Android phone out of frustration with the delay in the L950 coming out. I used the Nokia Charging stand from the Windows phone to recharge the Moto Droid Turbo. I switched to Plugin only charging and the issue went away.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a faulty battery, rather a bug with .107 I have this issue and it occurs when the phone has been used for a good while be it web browsing, reading windows central, playing a game etc.

Use phone for a good while until it gets slightly warm, soft reboot, power down and you will either have a dead phone, less charge or miraculously more charge than had you before. I believe either the background agent that monitors the battery has a bug or if it's tied into the battery saver app then that is buggy. Here is an example (I noticed it when I was on the grocery run):

wp_ss_20160213_0010.png

Close the battery saver app and go back it's normal:

wp_ss_20160213_0011.png

I haven't been able to replicate this bug as haven't had the time to check it out properly, once I've done so it will be listed in the feedback app.

Furthermore with build .107 after it finished installed my phone turned off, holding the power button to turn on, soft resetting as normal didn't work - I had to hold the volume down + power button for a good minute to get it restart as I was trying to get into the bootloader. But unfortunately the cable I use for flashing has developed a fault so I couldn't reflash so just let proceed with the boot. Which did take much longer than normal - about 90 seconds.

As a side note, my 920 is over 40 months old and I had this issue a few times over span of months with WP8.1 pre-amber and post cyan, about twice post "denim" but on all but few (iirc) occasions I had more charge than before. Therefore it was a non issue for me, so never mentioned it.

With .71 my battery stabilised after a few days and it would actually got decent charge to charge time for a preview build; I'm hoping .107 goes through the same process and stabilises.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 920 has shown a 30+% reduction in battery after a soft reset or random reboot since the past few builds. Random reboots didn't start until *.6X.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has shown a 30+% reduction in battery after a soft reset or random reboot since the past few builds. Random reboots didn't start until *.6X.

I only had one random reboot and that was on a phone call with .71 so one out of the countless calls. Considering it was a preview build, not bad odds on my side. Others experiences will obviously vary.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
It had been normal today with light use and occasional web browsing. I think it only happens when there is a sudden draw of power from the battery which cause the agent monitoring battery level to be bugged. As for what I know, most phone os either communicate with battery via a specially designed asic or by measuring voltage from the battery. I guess the sudden draw of power cause voltage fluctuations which confused the battery level agent.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It had been normal today with light use and occasional web browsing. I think it only happens when there is a sudden draw of power from the battery which cause the agent monitoring battery level to be bugged. As for what I know, most phone os either communicate with battery via a specially designed asic or by measuring voltage from the battery. I guess the sudden draw of power cause voltage fluctuations which confused the battery level agent.

Hmm, that does sound possible however without proper diagnostic tools we can only speculate... :winktongue:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If you do not help beta testing the software and reporting bugs, they will still be present in the rtm build. Not good at all.

It's true but when you did a soft reset if your feedback and diagnostics is set to full it will send data back to MS. you can open a feedback thread or look for others that have the same one and upvote. Not much else you can do after that. I would err on caution because if it is doing something to your battery it may kill the life of it much quicker. I wouldn't like that.

To TechFreak, why do you have so many separate facebook icons in your battery? I only have facebook and facebook beta.

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
It's true but when you did a soft reset if your feedback and diagnostics is set to full it will send data back to MS. you can open a feedback thread or look for others that have the same one and upvote. Not much else you can do after that. I would err on caution because if it is doing something to your battery it may kill the life of it much quicker. I wouldn't like that.

To TechFreak, why do you have so many separate facebook icons in your battery? I only have facebook and facebook beta.

I have already reported this via the feedback multiple times and upvoted similar ones.... Just posting here to see if anyone got any ideas.

I guess that was the bug he had been talking about....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss