So Windows 10 on older hardware is quite good!!!!

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I held off till now until most of the bugs were cleared, and major issues were addressed ( drivers and what not ), and I have to say, I like the fact now 3 of my devices across 3 form factors all have the same look, feel, and layout.

Game rig ( waiting on new video card, running Intel built in atm), Acer Iconia W3 Tablet ( snappy and fun now), and my Nokia Lumia 1020...I'm even thinking Windows 10 would run very well on my Acer Revo 3610 Nettop ( Upgraded RAM, running Win 8.1 ).

The tablet is where I have been most impressed, as it was good under 8.1, but just didn't seem to have any way to improve or let me push the edges.
Under 8.1 at times it would just bog down, and I was expecting that when I bought it. Now under Windows 10 it is no super hi-way speed demon, but it is a whole bunch faster switching between apps. It still has it's slow down when first booting up, but once everything settles down it runs quicker then under 8.1

Add I searched for ways to give myself more space on the SSD, and I now have about 12 Gig free ( of 32 Gig ), and a good class 10 Micro SD for added space also 32 Gig
Screenshot (3).png

By removing prior install, and set up files I swear it seemed to add a little speed ( but maybe that is just a mind trick, and always make sure you have an original back up before you ever remove what I did, so you have a way back in case of crash, SSD failure, or any other disaster)

Now if only Bamboo would help out with some cheaper pen/stylus support it would make my W3 into a Budget Surface :)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So I'm about half way through upgrade on my Old beat up Acer Revo 3610 Nettop ( Intel Atom 330, 4 Gigs Ram, Nvidia ION Graphics)

Lets see how good Windows 10 is on this.....if there is any improvement I will let you know!!

Anyone out there put 10 on a Netbook?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok the install took forever, and at times I was a little worried I was going to end up with the Sad face Blue screen...but nope it went in after the Revo having issue with auto reboots.

On first start a basic Microsoft Nvidia driver installed, so it looked awful and squished, but update solved that and a few other drivers came along.

All I can say is it's running well and a bunch faster then under Windows 8.1. Time will tell, but first impressions are good !!!! The old Intel Atom p330 is quick again!!!!!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I put windows 10 on a acer 8410 with Core 2 Solo U3500 1.4GHz processor.(from 2006)
This laptop came with Vista but a free update to windows 7. A few years ago I changed the harddisk to a SSD.
But it became slower and slower. Last Saturday I installed W10 on it. It took all in all more than 8 hours and I also had sometimes the feeling it would crash. But it came true. Now it starts up within 30 seconds and also the fresh OS makes a snappier again.
Only "problem" I have is that the OS "knows" I have a SSD but can not "trim" it. But I can do the trim under a command prompt or with the Samsung magician program. Probably need to reinstall the AHCI to solve it.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I put windows 10 on a acer 8410 with Core 2 Solo U3500 1.4GHz processor.(from 2006)
This laptop came with Vista but a free update to windows 7. A few years ago I changed the harddisk to a SSD.
But it became slower and slower. Last Saturday I installed W10 on it. It took all in all more than 8 hours and I also had sometimes the feeling it would crash. But it came true. Now it starts up within 30 seconds and also the fresh OS makes a snappier again.
Only "problem" I have is that the OS "knows" I have a SSD but can not "trim" it. But I can do the trim under a command prompt or with the Samsung magician program. Probably need to reinstall the AHCI to solve it.

I hope it all works out in the end!!! It is good to see some older hardware get a new lease on life !!! Plus if you can get another year or two out of something you saved buying new for now :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium