Cortana massively buggy

aliwal shoal

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi all

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 last week, I've been stuck in a cycle of restarting my computer around 10 times a day, all due to Cortana. She will work for approximately and hour or so, then for no apparant reason, stop working. If I click on the microphone, my entire computer freezes up, necessitating a restart via the power button. Multiple restarts do no fix the issue - but then, suddenly she will come online again.

As with other users, her functionality is very limited - calendar updates, weather, and limited news. I seem to get better stability if I turn all the cards off - which essentially renders her redundant.

I believe a possible issue is a bad internet connection - but if this is so, surely she should not freeze my whole pc if she can't "dial home", and surely a restart should fix the issue? (For what it's worth, my internet connection appears to be fine, I'm just trying to guess as what could be causing this instability).

I don't have the same issues on my phone (well, except for the fact that half the promised cards don't actually work - package tracking, restuarant recomendations etc etc)

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Try to turn off Cortana>Notepad>Settings: Taskbar tidbits. It disables Cortana showing text every now and then in the taskbar search. Another thing you can do is to update your drivers, one bad driver can cause that issue, maybe unsupported/outdated sound or microphone drivers are to blame.

aliwal shoal

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - I had already updated all my drivers. I didn't know about the Taskbar tidbits, though, I'll turn that off - I wasn't getting anything anyway. It feels like only about 10% of what Cortana (UK version) offers actually works - although I found an un-advertised bit of functionality that works quite well - asking Cortana to take a note results in her adding a dictated note to OneNote. Asking her to show my notes results in my OneNotes being displayed.

Anyway, I think I narrowed down my problem to the news cards though. Turning them off seems to have stabilised Cortana a bit. Cortana has SO much potential, I hope the bugs get sorted.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720