Has the OS improved since I switched?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
When I look at a 1520 running 8.1 and another one running 10, and a 950 besides running 10 I cannot say anything else that Win10M is the worst I've seen, totally mediocre compared to 8.1. Low wifi speeds, broken BT, broken microSD handling, apps crashing, high battery usage, low graphics performance etc. WP8.1 was a joy to use day by day...

Neither of this happens on my XL. Sounds like you are either making things up or have serious problems with your particular handset.

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I switched in december too but I'm really fed up with Android. Some time ago an ad popped up on my start screen and I got all the legit apps from app store and some kind weird japanese things but avast, word, myappfree, steam etc.
I'll wait for some polishing, I'll jump back in the ship around august or so... I hope so...
At first I was using all the apps that windows 10 didn't have - snapchat, chrome, google maps but I stopped using them quite fast. I got this phone only for 3 months and I already have stopped using them. Windows is really good platform.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6 but still love for Windows.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Neither of this happens on my XL. Sounds like you are either making things up or have serious problems with your particular handset.

Get to a speedy wifi connection, meaning at least 75mbps and run a speed test on your XL and on the same network, same speed test server, run a test on a S6 for example or an iphone and check the results. you'll be amazed about how low the speed is on the XL compared to the other two. And also try and use a 5Ghz wifi too after the first test on a 2.4ghz...

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Get to a speedy wifi connection, meaning at least 75mbps and run a speed test on your XL and on the same network, same speed test server, run a test on a S6 for example or an iphone and check the results. you'll be amazed about how low the speed is on the XL compared to the other two. And also try and use a 5Ghz wifi too after the first test on a 2.4ghz...

Even with a difference I doesn't get low speeds on my 950/XL, always two digits (XXMbits) which is enough and it will improve over time, isn't slow I can stream 4K video without problems.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I will definitely not be switching. MS just does not seem to have the motivation to make their mobile OS viable. I think a lot of negative experience with Android people have seem to come from Samsung owners; when I decided to go Android, I insisted on the pure stuff and would only go with a Nexus. And it has been great, because that is how the OS is supposed to be. It's like getting a MS made device vs an OEM with all their bloatware.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
There is no Big Official Release for all devices coming. Windows 10 as a Service is a continual improvement and feature add process. There will be no "Upgrades" to do, just newer versions of the windows 10 OS over time.

You can choose when you get the updates by using the Windows Insider Program or just wait until general user releases of each of the updates.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely not be switching. MS just does not seem to have the motivation to make their mobile OS viable. I think a lot of negative experience with Android people have seem to come from Samsung owners; when I decided to go Android, I insisted on the pure stuff and would only go with a Nexus. And it has been great, because that is how the OS is supposed to be. It's like getting a MS made device vs an OEM with all their bloatware.

I strongly disagree. The latest insider Preview of Win10M is very, very good. Stable, fast and accurate. Cortana works well and all my needed apps are available. I only wish I had newer Hardware to run it on as I'm on VZW so the Lumia Icon is as new as I can get.

Tried an iPhone 6s+ and like it a lot but I keep going back to the Icon to try out new Win10M builds. If I had a 950XL I'd never go back to the iPhone but for now it's still a switch back and forth for me until a Flagship Win10M device on VZW is available!

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site

I personally went from the Galaxy S3 (which I eventually rooted), to a Lumia Icon, to the Nexus 6, and finally to the 950 XL. I think both OSes have their pros and cons, but I always lean towards Windows though.

While my experience with the Nexus 6 was generally pretty good, it did have it's own annoyances. Like the 950 XL, a number of them were fixed with either OS or app updates. I ended up having one really annoying bug that locked the phone completely during calls. I could not wake the screen, increase the volume, end the call or anything. I basically had to hope the other person would hang up or hold the power button down until the phone restarted. I believe that was fixed after the Marshmallow update happened, but I had to wait almost two months for the "flagship" Nexus phone to get that update (even though it was still about 4 months sooner than any other phone).

Android has become less and less open source and much more like iOS seemingly. I really enjoy the general look and feel of notifications, the action center, and in general the material design of the newest versions of Android, but beyond that they have really lost me. There is less overall control over the device, the seemingly necessity of having the battery saver mode, the constant (yet generally slow) drain of the battery, the heavy handed forcing of Google Now on you (where as Cortana generally seems like a choice), etc.

I end up a little biased because I prefer Microsoft services like OneDrive and Office over Google Drive. Live Tiles are a huge plus for me. Android has always just seemed like putting a bunch of desktop icons on a phone screen. I've said it more than a few times on here, but the #1 feature I depend on from Windows Phone is the ability to have Cortana read out text messages through my car stereo. That is one hell of a feature and it's honestly shocking that Android and iOS don't have this feature. Lumia phones have also standardly had much better cameras and that keeps me with them too. And now, with the WaaS philosophy, the idea of not having to wait for OS updates is incredibly appealing.

Just my thoughts though!

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I personally went from the Galaxy S3 (which I eventually rooted), to a Lumia Icon, to the Nexus 6, and finally to the 950 XL. I think both OSes have their pros and cons, but I always lean towards Windows though.

While my experience with the Nexus 6 was generally pretty good, it did have it's own annoyances. Like the 950 XL, a number of them were fixed with either OS or app updates. I ended up having one really annoying bug that locked the phone completely during calls. I could not wake the screen, increase the volume, end the call or anything. I basically had to hope the other person would hang up or hold the power button down until the phone restarted. I believe that was fixed after the Marshmallow update happened, but I had to wait almost two months for the "flagship" Nexus phone to get that update (even though it was still about 4 months sooner than any other phone).

Android has become less and less open source and much more like iOS seemingly. I really enjoy the general look and feel of notifications, the action center, and in general the material design of the newest versions of Android, but beyond that they have really lost me. There is less overall control over the device, the seemingly necessity of having the battery saver mode, the constant (yet generally slow) drain of the battery, the heavy handed forcing of Google Now on you (where as Cortana generally seems like a choice), etc.

I end up a little biased because I prefer Microsoft services like OneDrive and Office over Google Drive. Live Tiles are a huge plus for me. Android has always just seemed like putting a bunch of desktop icons on a phone screen. I've said it more than a few times on here, but the #1 feature I depend on from Windows Phone is the ability to have Cortana read out text messages through my car stereo. That is one hell of a feature and it's honestly shocking that Android and iOS don't have this feature. Lumia phones have also standardly had much better cameras and that keeps me with them too. And now, with the WaaS philosophy, the idea of not having to wait for OS updates is incredibly appealing.

Just my thoughts though!

TL;DR

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6 but still love for Windows.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Even with a difference I doesn't get low speeds on my 950/XL, always two digits (XXMbits) which is enough and it will improve over time, isn't slow I can stream 4K video without problems.
improve overtime :))) are you serious? they were not able to provide even a decent wifi experience?? a working wifi driver...congrats on your 600$+ phone that cannot even perform as it should on the most basic stuff for a smartphone: wifi...

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
improve overtime :))) are you serious? they were not able to provide even a decent wifi experience?? a working wifi driver...congrats on your 600$+ phone that cannot even perform as it should on the most basic stuff for a smartphone: wifi...
Mine performs good on WiFi, no idea what are you talking about... I can provide an Speedtest screenshot if you want.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
TL;DR
Every OS and phone has it's issues. I think MSFT services are better than Google. Even the "pure" Android devices still have struggles and have to wait for updates.
But you have choice to install different roms. For example I have switched to android a week ago and now temporary using nexus 4, which is running CM 13 nightlies (basically Android 6 (Marshmallow)). And cyanogen mod gets updates at least 4 times a week, so...

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
"Has the OS improved since I switched?"
Yes, ever since YOU switched the OS has been MUCH better. :evil:

In all seriousness: I've gone from iOS to WP to Android and now back to WP. WP by far (imho) is better than the others in terms of hardware and user experience.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
But you have choice to install different roms. For example I have switched to android a week ago and now temporary using nexus 4, which is running CM 13 nightlies (basically Android 6 (Marshmallow)). And cyanogen mod gets updates at least 4 times a week, so...

While there is that catch, there aren't anywhere near as many people who know about that, and even fewer who know how to install and run these builds. In addition, at least in earlier CM and other custom ROMs, anytime a major version number changed it REQUIRED a full reset of your phone, or at least the data partition. So if you wanted to keep your progress in Candy Crush you had to buy or use some sort of backup app that also copied over data. At least with the Windows Insider program that is not the case. Hell, that won't be the case for the WaaS model which will bring regular updates to ALL W10M devices way more than that once every 6 months and only for the first 12 months that your Android phone has been on the market. I know this is changing a little bit with Samsung and Google trying to push monthly security updates, but Windows has the major edge here currently for ease of use and ability to bring these updates to market quicker.

TL;DR: While you are technically correct, you need about 5 asterisks on that statement.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
"Has the OS improved since I switched?"
Yes, ever since YOU switched the OS has been MUCH better. :evil:

In all seriousness: I've gone from iOS to WP to Android and now back to WP. WP by far (imho) is better than the others in terms of hardware and user experience.

Similar with me. Started off with Android/Custom ROMs, went to WP, then to the Nexus devices, then back to WP. Since I first used WP, I have never felt as satisfied using Android.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
While there is that catch, there aren't anywhere near as many people who know about that, and even fewer who know how to install and run these builds. In addition, at least in earlier CM and other custom ROMs, anytime a major version number changed it REQUIRED a full reset of your phone, or at least the data partition. So if you wanted to keep your progress in Candy Crush you had to buy or use some sort of backup app that also copied over data. At least with the Windows Insider program that is not the case. Hell, that won't be the case for the WaaS model which will bring regular updates to ALL W10M devices way more than that once every 6 months and only for the first 12 months that your Android phone has been on the market. I know this is changing a little bit with Samsung and Google trying to push monthly security updates, but Windows has the major edge here currently for ease of use and ability to bring these updates to market quicker.
If you're talking about update process only (getting never builds) I agree with you. But I had to roll back to 8.1 every single time I installed w10m on my 920, because of various issues, so I waved goodbye to my game progress at least few times. Also cm nigtlies are much more stable than insider preview builds. At least for me.

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I kept my faith until a few weeks ago and then finally had enough and bought an iPhone 6S Plus.

I am sorry to say that I feel liberated. It is as if a great burden has been lifted and I no longer have to lie to myself and pretend that Windows Phone is fine.

The iPhone with Microsofts apps and services works fantastically. The system itself is not as intuitive and easy to use but the hardware, features and the apps are a world apart.

I feel ripped off for having stood by Microsoft for all these years and I also know that it is likely that it has cost me seriously professionally. I don't really blame Microsoft but mainly myself but I am disappointed in their inability to get mobile right since I have been through WM6, WP7, WP8, WP8.1 and finally W10M. For a supposedly intelligent person that is many years of being too stupid.

Anyway, my take on it is that I prefer the bare bones Windows OS but it is not enough. I would not switch back yet but perhaps in a couple of years. My wife will stay on WIndows for the foreseeable future so I will keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)