W10M - device encryption - SD card

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 - Windows 10 mobile build .107

Windows 10 mobile has device encryption, I have it on and I thought this means even my 16GB SD card is encrypted and only can be accessed when I authorized it via my PIN.

but it notes here : http://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-device-encryption-windows-10-mobile

that only the built in storage is encrypted and we should not leave any sensitive details on SD memory!

encrypting my SD card and making it unreadable via a card reader is what I expected, is this not possible? or MS is not giving us that? can someone enlighten me on this. Thanks..

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I think that is because you can take out SD, and most importantly because OS is installed on phones storage. But as far as I heard you can protect SD too.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It should be doable right? encrypt my SD card used in phone so that only the pin would unlock the phone and card, If someone stole my phone they will have nothing to get from it...(that being my personal information)

v_emman

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by avengerxp
SD card encryption...is it too much to ask??
It's not. BitLocker can encrypt any drive on your computer, not only the system drive. It's exactly the same on the phone.
Actually, I am impressed that they didn't implement encryption for the SD card too, since this is where it is needed most (internal storage can't be accessed anyway if you don't know the PIN).

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thats exactly my point. on PC Bitlocker will encrypt all Drives (even 2 physical drives attached to same PC) so why cant they encrypt the SD card?

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It's not. BitLocker can encrypt any drive on your computer, not only the system drive. It's exactly the same on the phone.

Actually, I am impressed that they didn't implement encryption for the SD card too, since this is where it is needed most (internal storage can't be accessed anyway if you don't know the PIN).

Internal memory can be easily dumped with direct access to the board (example: Jtag) but it's slower than popping out a sd card, it should be implemented in both memories but the sd performances would take a great hit

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
It would have to support the "Bitlocker to go" functionality in order to encrypt a removable drive. Even on the PC it requires Windows Professional or Enterprise for it to work.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It should be doable right? encrypt my SD card used in phone so that only the pin would unlock the phone and card, If someone stole my phone they will have nothing to get from it...(that being my personal information)

go with Blackberry as it does both

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know its 1 mth old, but I really do need this feature enabled on my Lumia 950, at work they are using MDM policies as I commented on the MS forum InfoSec wont budge. they said either buy Android or iOS or get Microsoft to enable the feature. fat chance hey....

Will Windows Phone 10 support SD card encryption? - Microsoft Community

Surely you can just keep sensitive data on the phone itself? or pare down data usage and nix the card? (since the iPhone doesn't have a card entirely)

Marco Patrizi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I asked our InfoSec, gave them scenario if I encrypt the phone keep e-mails there on the phone why cant the policy via MDM be relaxed. They refuse as I could save an e-mail attachment on the SD card (unencrypted) breaching policy.

They then asked why don't I use a 3rd party tool/app to do it.. further research showed this is futile also, as the phone wont recognise it , not will the MobileIron MDM hence back to square one.

Comments at bottom this this article also show it cannot be done via PC either if I tool SD card out & used bitlocker on PC,
How to enable device encryption on a phone with Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm...So the most renowned business class OS doesn't have a key feature it seems. If the PC can encrypt it's hard disks, the mobile should be able to aswel. Going to check this on the feedback hub and post it there... can anyone tweet this to gabe at MS

Exup

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any update on this.

Honestly, bitlocker "on the go" would be the correct way for the SD card encryption implementation in W10M...and it would be still usable if needed on other computers.

It doesn't make sense to keep all photos and videos on the SD card...and can't encrypt it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium