"Activate windows" appears after I upgraded my motherboard and ram? w10

showa65

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
i had a pc failure, so i upgraded my motherboard and chip, as expected windows still booted from start with no issues, restarted to install lan driver, and when it fired up again i had the activate windows bottom right of screen, how do i fix this, i upgraded from win7

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: activate windows appears after i up grade my motherboard and ram

Hello. What's your current OS? I don't think windows was activated after motherboard board in the first place. You may create an account in order to reply

showa65

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

im afraid no joy with anything there
i tried the keyfinder program but it doesnt work for some reason

Thomas Wadsworth

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

When you replace your motherboard your voiding your license for your copy of windows. Since you have effectively replaced your pc. Has windows authenticates the serial of your mobo to your copy of windows

You will have to either purchase windows or call Microsoft with your legit key. But given your trying to use keyfinder...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

You'll have to reinstall Windows 7, activate and perform the upgrade again in order for Microsoft's servers to recapture your PC's hardware specs and tie it to your upgraded digital key. After the upgrade you can reinstall Windows 10 and it would be activated automatically.

showa65

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

hi the keyfinder was pointed to me by windows team on facebook

showa65

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

the original key was stuck on the inside of a case i binned nearly 6 years ago, ive changed motherboards 3 times since ive had this copy of windows with no issues before i recently cloned my hdd to a ssd with supplied software and still no issues only windows 10
its very frustrating.
thx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon