View content from nas on lumia 550

inzenity

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi, i am a bit embarrassed to ask this, but here goes.

On a simple home network i am trying to view some video's from a nas on my daughters lumia 550. I have tried some apps for that, the explorer of course, but no way that i can easily stream some content.

I am looking for a solution comparable to es file explorer on android, just connect to shares, select preferred media player, and enjoy.
I have a hard time believing/accepting that such an easy task is not possible on windows mobile, so please could anybody enlight me and/or point me towards a solution?

bichaels

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by inzenity

On a simple home network i am trying to view some video's from a nas on my daughters lumia 550. I have tried some apps for that, the explorer of course, but no way that i can easily stream some content.

If you have a Synology NAS then the DS apps work great both in and out of home network. I chose that brand specifically as seemed like they had good windows phone support.

If not then not sure what the options are...

inzenity

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes, indeed, i read about the synology (i have a wd), onedrive and plex, and that's about it. But i don't know if i like buying a 200+ nas extra just to watch a view cartoons on a 129 dollar phone:)

Thanks for your answer though, fingers crossed for more options.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I use myMediaHub, which is a DLNA app so can access videos/music/pictures from my Netgear ReadyNAS. I don't know of any ES File Explorer type apps for W10M though

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Try onevideo from the store. It will play content from plex on my icon used this before I activated the plex app. Maybe it will pick up a nas too. Myself I use plex server and the app for this purpose with a 3tb usb3 drive works great. The server is free for home networks and the app is only $4.99 to activate and is activated across all devices on my Ms account. A bargain if you ask me 😁

inzenity

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I tried mymediahub, it shows the files (music/video), but when trying to play something it gives an error (format not supported, erhhh:p).

Onevideo, which i didn't know, connects to the nas as well, and haleluja, it is able to play the standard formats. It's not perfect, depends on twonky by the first look, but it is more than capable. So thanks guys for your suggestions, and especially charlesbrown for pointing me to the right app!

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
You are welcome.. The app is not perfect as you say but works.. If you have an error reading the drive go into settings and reset the app.. Takes care of that issue on this end anyhow glad to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3