Is it not possible to manually lock a Windows 10 Mobile device?

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I went from Android to 950XL in December, so excuse me if I ask a noob question:

How do I lock a Windows 10 Mobile device manually (the 950 XL)? I cant find out and I hope that Windows 10 Mobile - aka the OS for businesses - have implemented a way to lock the phones.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried setting your Sign-in options, set the "Require sign-in" to "Every Time". With that, once you turn the screen of your phone off, it will ask for your PIN the next time you turn the screen on.

STORMY13

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
You can also go,

Settings-->Personalisation-->Lock Screen

scroll to the bottom and enable "double tap the navigation bar to turn off the screen".

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've set the timer to lock the phone after 3 minutes. Locking it every time the screen turns off could work if Microsoft added a functionality that keeps the screen on as long as you look at the phone. It seems that Microsoft has forgot to implement that functionality in the mobile OS (but not in Windows 10 for desktop).

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've set the timer to lock the phone after 3 minutes. Locking it every time the screen turns off could work if Microsoft added a functionality that keeps the screen on as long as you look at the phone. It seems that Microsoft has forgot to implement that functionality in the mobile OS (but not in Windows 10 for desktop).

Get Simple Screen Locker. Tap the tile and the phone is locked.

STORMY13

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
To get it to work with the double tap you need to go to the Sign In options and set it to never, or it won't ask for your PIN/password until the set time has past.

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not interested in locking the phone every time the screen turns off. The cons are way worse than the pros for me personally.

elbimster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi PrinceM, just quickly reading through your question, it sounds like the area of settings you're looking for is sign in options, which I think you've found. You say you have it set to 3 minutes? What that means is that you do something on your phone. The press power. Then 2 minutes later you pull your phone out and do something else. Because it's under 3 minutes (which per your prior post is what you set it to) it doesn't show the lock screen. If you want the lock screen to pop up every time, you can set it for that or you can shorten the time to 1 minute. For purposes of W10M, sign in is treated like the equivalent of the lock screen on Android.

Hope that helps.

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi @elbimster. What I want is the simplicity and security I had with my Note 4 on Android. I thought of it as basic functionality since it's never mentioned in tests I've read.

The 950XL shows the lock screen every time you press the power button, however if you are turning the screen on faster than the n amount of minutes you have set the lock screen, it is possible to swipe the lock screen away without the use of pin codes. I could of course set the lock screen to "always" - as in the screen will get locked every time the screen turns off. However, that does not work for me because:
a: I access the phone storage with my laptop often. If the screen turns off, the phone storage is locked and I get an error message on my laptop. In other words I have to touch the screen every minute to make sure the screen is on.
b: I often read ebooks on my phone with very complex information in English (not my native language as I assume you understand by reading my comments). Because Microsoft "forgot" to include a function to check if the user is still watching the screen, the screen often turns off. Also, there is a bug in W10M when the screen is dimmed (just before it's turned off) that makes it easier to let the screen turn off than pressing the screen and makes the content on the screen jump around. It would be very inconvenient for me to log in every time this happens.
c: Hello was very cool when I got the phone, but nowadays I use the pin code instead because the iris-scanner is just way to slow. It's possible, but for sure inconvenient, to unlock the phone with pin every time the screen turns off. It's just not as simple and effective as before with my old phone. IF the iris-scanner were as fast as fingerprint scanner on other mobile OS, it could work to lock the screen every time the screen turns off.

The only reason I've set it to 3 minutes is because I dont want it to stay unlocked for a long time if I leave my phone at my desk (at work). I have to lock my laptop every time I leave my desk. What I truly want is to set the lock screen to around 15 minutes and have the ability to lock it every time I need to at work.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
What I truly want is to set the lock screen to around 15 minutes and have the ability to lock it every time I need to at work.

Hi PrinceM. I'm having a little difficulty understand what, exactly, you'd like. Between the two settings on Windows Mobile, screen timeout and require sign-in, you would like to set the "require sign-in" option to 15 minutes (to allow your laptop to continue accessing files even if the screen shuts off) but alternatively want an option to immediately require a sign-in, no 15 minute wait required. Is this correct?

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi PrinceM. I'm having a little difficulty understand what, exactly, you'd like. Between the two settings on Windows Mobile, screen timeout and require sign-in, you would like to set the "require sign-in" option to 15 minutes (to allow your laptop to continue accessing files even if the screen shuts off) but alternatively want an option to immediately require a sign-in, no 15 minute wait required. Is this correct?
yup, lost me too...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi @elbimster. What I want is the simplicity and security I had with my Note 4 on Android. I thought of it as basic functionality since it's never mentioned in tests I've read.

The 950XL shows the lock screen every time you press the power button, however if you are turning the screen on faster than the n amount of minutes you have set the lock screen, it is possible to swipe the lock screen away without the use of pin codes. I could of course set the lock screen to "always" - as in the screen will get locked every time the screen turns off. However, that does not work for me because:
a: I access the phone storage with my laptop often. If the screen turns off, the phone storage is locked and I get an error message on my laptop. In other words I have to touch the screen every minute to make sure the screen is on.
b: I often read ebooks on my phone with very complex information in English (not my native language as I assume you understand by reading my comments). Because Microsoft "forgot" to include a function to check if the user is still watching the screen, the screen often turns off. Also, there is a bug in W10M when the screen is dimmed (just before it's turned off) that makes it easier to let the screen turn off than pressing the screen and makes the content on the screen jump around. It would be very inconvenient for me to log in every time this happens.
c: Hello was very cool when I got the phone, but nowadays I use the pin code instead because the iris-scanner is just way to slow. It's possible, but for sure inconvenient, to unlock the phone with pin every time the screen turns off. It's just not as simple and effective as before with my old phone. IF the iris-scanner were as fast as fingerprint scanner on other mobile OS, it could work to lock the screen every time the screen turns off.

The only reason I've set it to 3 minutes is because I dont want it to stay unlocked for a long time if I leave my phone at my desk (at work). I have to lock my laptop every time I leave my desk. What I truly want is to set the lock screen to around 15 minutes and have the ability to lock it every time I need to at work.

Your initial use case scenario would have have bee resolved with the screen timeout at 30 seconds and sign-in set at every time. However what you state here really contradicts your first use case scenario / request :winktongue:. Admittedly what is really needed here is incorporation of the Gestures App (www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/apps/Gestures-Beta/9WZDNCRCX3N9#app-details) with proximity sensor and other sensors so it can detect when it is in your pocket and so on.

a:)
Furthermore when I am transferring data to and throw my laptop if the phone locks nothing happens the transfer goes on as normal however if nothing is taking place therefore idle I do need to sign-in again. Which is in fact much more secure in as opposed to leaving your phone accessible however one of the drawbacks to this - if you are repairing a damaged screen and want to retrieve some data first - you can't as you need to use the phone's touch screen to unlock. However this can be easily fixed using the phone app / a sync client on a desktop / tablet (via usb or bluetooth).

b:)

I agree, I can imagine it is even more so if you need to use two hands to use the phone. However as you will see from the change long from the new .122 update that they are constantly improving the o/s in terms of usability (The usability of the UX is another subject matter entirely
winktongue.png
) and squashing bugs.

Personally since can and do use my 920 one handed I have adapted to hovering my thumb above the screen whilst slowly scroll upwards when reading ebooks or long articles via reading view.

c)
The iris scanner has been a hit and miss for some people going by the forums and from what I've heard. It is still in beta therefore it will be constantly be improving; with alot more enterprise focus being shone on WM10 this can only speed up development / fixes in this area.

Lastly what you are asking would be tricky to implement, if you want the device to auto lock if it's stationary whilst you are away from your desk then you will need to wear a companion device. Which will either remotely trigger the locking mechanism / or help the phone "sense" you are out of range and auto unlock when you are next to the device or have it in your hands. It wouldn't be possible to design a one device solution without it constantly pinging the surroundings (active sonar) thus hitting the battery life pretty hard. Not to mention, the tin foil hat crowd will have a field day if a phone hit the market with active sonar like capabilities.

We do have passive-sonar-esque capabilities as the mic is somewhat always listening for keywords: "Hey Cortana", "Okay Google", "Hey Siri" and "Xbox On" etc. However beyond that you would be asking the phone to listen to footsteps or "signs of life" to initiate auto lock / unlock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs