When I first bought my Surface a week or so ago, it prompted me to set up a PIN number for logging in to the computer. I gave it short 4 digit, easy PIN and it worked fine....I could whip my Surface out, tap out the PIN number....and I was in.

Then, the thing got some sort of update.

Now, it requires that I log in to my computer with my long, tedious account password! I tried inputting my PIN, but it won't accept anything less than my horrid password.

Perhaps something was reset during the update.

Is there a setting that will allow me to tell the computer to allow me to use my PIN again? I can't find it.
    03-03-2016 07:26 AM
    Yes,
    Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options. Look for "PIN" to set a pin number to sign in. That should do it.
    03-03-2016 11:31 AM
    When I first bought my Surface a week or so ago, it prompted me to set up a PIN number for logging in to the computer. I gave it short 4 digit, easy PIN and it worked fine....I could whip my Surface out, tap out the PIN number....and I was in.

Then, the thing got some sort of update.

Now, it requires that I log in to my computer with my long, tedious account password! I tried inputting my PIN, but it won't accept anything less than my horrid password.

Perhaps something was reset during the update.

Is there a setting that will allow me to tell the computer to allow me to use my PIN again? I can't find it.
    If it is still there as an option but not working you can remove and recreate it or changing it may also work. Have seen this a couple of times.
    Xsled likes this.
    03-03-2016 02:36 PM
    Thanks!

I deleted my option to sign in with a PIN, and then re-initiated a new PIN.... it now works.

Earlier, I tried to simply change my PIN, but that didn't do the trick. It required, as you suggested, that I totally delete the PIN.
    03-03-2016 03:29 PM