Android apps are better?...Not...!

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well from what I can see...

iPhone software and hardware problems, no escaping that.
General forum stuff. (how do I do X? Help me do Y)
When jailbreak iOS 9.1?
When jailbreak iOS 9.2?
Should I upgrade to iOS 9.2?
Should I upgrade to iOS 9.2.1?
Latest jailbreak news?

Why is Hangouts better on iOS?
Help me root X model.
basically "marshmallow when in india?" (but less India and more specific model)
-advanced stuff-

etc etc

But with perfect soft ware why would you want to jailbreak ( root ) your Iphone Does not sound like an Apple thing to do LOL

anon9699264

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Definitely, Outlook is much better, and I'm on windows central android app 'cos the windows phone 8.1 version is less user friendly + windows 10 PC version is absolutely awful.
If we ever get windows mobile 10 (if I was so far behind schedule at work I'd get fired!) then the story might change, but somehow I doubt it.

Android has a massively bigger core of coders developing apps. Stands to reason things are further and faster evolving. MS are like a lumbering dinosaur by comparison (sorry Gabe).

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope they get it right before it launches. I have a 640 bought my wife a 630 in 2014 I think and just bought my sister in law a 640 for her birthday.
I Am the one who will have to deal with it if everything goes south as it were.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to limit the things I listed to android apps that were better than windows phone. Just listing some options that exist for windows phone is not the same (like Audible is available on every platform). Also, I prefer the LG camera suite to Lumia Camera--doesn't mean I need to list it as a bonus for Android. Haven't used it in awhile, but even the Panorama app is removed when last I checked.

One final note: fresh paint is not that good of a painting app. It is useable and free. If you disagree, please feel free to share your painting.

Gems of Windows platform
1. Bookviser reader - 3D page rotation, multiple formats including Epub, Universal and FREE.
2. myTube - Universal, lets us save video/music directly to SD card, beautiful UI
3. Magnify Reader - UI will literally blow your mind. It's amazing!
4. Saavn / Gaana - Awesome universal app for music streaming and downloading in India
5. Flipkart - Online shopping (India) - Supports voice search and friends recommendation, can pin your favourite products to start screen. Live tiles shows the latest price and offers if any.
6. Readiy - Awesome feed reader for PC
7. AppRaisin
8. Adobe photoshop express
7. HERE suit of apps (City Lens, maps, drive, transit)
8. Office suite of apps(many win 10 machines/smartphones get free 1 year office 2016 subscription)
9. Action Note - Integrates note taking into action centre and synchronizes that across Win 10 PC and smartphones with a common login. Cannot live without this app.
10. wpTorrent - The best torrent client on a smartphone available exclusively on Windows smartphones(WP8.1). Saves files directly on SD card.
11. Advanced English Dictionary - This is the best dictionary app available on Win 10 PC and smartphones. Live tiles displays the word of the day and its meaning!
12. Audible
13. BookMyShow - Universal app - exists on PC and smartphones (India)
14. IRCTC - Official Indian railway ticket booking app arrived first on Windows smartphones and PC!
15. Ouga - An awesome 3rd party app for Tumblr - PC & smartphones
16. Squid - An awesome note taking app
17. Fresh Paint - An awesome painting and sketching app
18. WhosDown - WhatsApp client for Windows 10 PC - better than nothing!
19. Lumia camera suite of apps - Creative studio, cinemagraph, Lumia camera, Panorama, Selfie
I can go on and on. But my point was to highlight the fact that some developers are really working hard to make awesome apps exclusively for Windows platform. Android may have more number of apps but thanks to these developers, Windows platform today is giving a tough fight to Android and iOS. Let us appreciate the efforts of those Windows developers.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't know who started the rumor that the Microsoft apps on Android are better than WP10, because they absolutely are not. Groove sucks, Outlook is limited, especially the calendar, and Office are nearly identical. Cortana, give me a break, she's useless unless fully integrated. Anyway, the grass is almost never greener, certainly in this instance.

I've never heard about Microsoft apps on Android being better than they are on W10M. It is true that Android and iPhone both have better versions than Windows Phone 8.1 and earlier. However, with the latest updates to Office to Windows 10 Mobile, the Office apps are virtually the same in "most" ways, with the exception that on Windows 10 Mobile, on a Continuum enabled phone, you get full desktop accessibility with the Office apps, and on Android when you hook up to a larger monitor, you just get a larger version of the mobile app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
True perhaps if the clock were turned back to 2005 and MS had held it's course for mobile.

True. As the iPhone and Android were out, Microsoft's option was Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 (admitting 6.5 was far better than 6.1). When the iPhone and Android came out I was still sporting a HTC Touch pro 2 (xv6875). As we watched the market change, Microsoft was doing nothing, with no promotion of their Windows Mobile platforms.

Admittingly At the time Pre-iphone/Android, if you wanted a "smartphone" you only had 2 options, It was Blackberry or Windows Mobile. There was not a real 3rd option at that time.

Like when Windows Phone 7 came out, they were a day late and a dime short (few YEARS after the iPhone). STILL today, they are trying to play catch up. I know Microsoft said they gave up but, it's costing them billions to TRY to catch up. Now they moved their whole app dev market for Windows 10 to support Windows Phone (universal apps) and trying still CATCH up. They have not given up, they are just holding along, Trying to dump some crap at it and see what sticks.

With a company like Microsoft that is a global company worth MANY billions of dollars, I would of expected them to see a trend like a new Smartphone to come about, even jump really early in it. Who ever was doing their market trends for those days, should be fired...

It's like Microsoft on these type of things, a day late and a dollar short...

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
At least for me Windows Phone apps are much better or the same.

Facebook? For my usage is the same.
Instagram? 6tag is much better than Insta Beta for WP or even any Instagram for any device. I can even download pictures on 6tag. It's much more fast than original too.
Waze? There's a lack of minimum functionality, but works fine AND don't have AD. Nothing better than drive without a lot of ad trying to make you hit or just pick the wrong street.
Email client? There's no comparison at all. Outlook is the best for W10M and the best email client ever.
Calendar? Same than email client.
9gag client? No comparison too.
Browser? Safari is better, but Edge is almost there. No comparison to Chrome, the worst mobile browser. Edge is more reliable, fail proof and faster.

If you aren't a appholic that want every useless app instaled on the phone, Windows Phone is the best choice possible.

ThalesLudwig

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Instagram? 6tag is much better than Insta Beta for WP or even any Instagram for any device. I can even download pictures on 6tag. It's much more fast than original too.
Waze? There's a lack of minimum functionality, but works fine AND don't have AD. Nothing better than drive without a lot of ad trying to make you hit or just pick the wrong street.
Email client? There's no comparison at all. Outlook is the best for W10M and the best email client ever.
Browser? Safari is better, but Edge is almost there. No comparison to Chrome, the worst mobile browser. Edge is more reliable, fail proof and faster.

If you aren't a appholic that want every useless app instaled on the phone, Windows Phone is the best choice possible.

I agree on everything you said, except for 9gag? What client do you use?
All I want is a Messenger decent app, but it seems it's coming. I guess there is no third party client for this one, right?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to limit the things I listed to android apps that were better than windows phone. Just listing some options that exist for windows phone is not the same (like Audible is available on every platform). Also, I prefer the LG camera suite to Lumia Camera--doesn't mean I need to list it as a bonus for Android. Haven't used it in awhile, but even the Panorama app is removed when last I checked.

One final note: fresh paint is not that good of a painting app. It is useable and free. If you disagree, please feel free to share your painting.

I was trying to list Windows apps that are better than Android. For instance, I cannot live without Bookviser Reader. I love it's 3D page rotation feature and I use it's paid version on my XPS laptop, Lumia smartphone and iBall tablet, all running Windows 10. I searched a lot but cannot find a suitable match for Bookviser reader on Android and even if I did, I won't get the "mobility of experience" that I get on Windows ecosystem.
One final note, Fresh Paint is one of the best painting app. Everybody agrees to that except you. It's one of the gems from Microsoft. Using it on Surface Pro is like a dream come true.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I like how you broke down the apps that you use, and your response shows that it is truly a case by case basis. For you, it works well enough.
For me, apps I use on a daily basis are always crashing or are just inferior. Some apps are okay. For your breakdown, I'll do a brief one myself.

Hoopla? A non-starter, doesn't even exist on Windows Phone. Strike one.
OverDrive? Hasn't been updated in 3 years and crashes all the time. Also hitting back button takes you back in the book. Since I can use the browser for it, I'll give it half of a strike.
Kindle? Also hasn't been updated in years, and it also has the same deal as OverDrive with the back button sometimes. However, it does sync its place so I'll also give this half of a strike as well.
MLB At Bat? It has been pulled from the store, and that app is more than just the scores to me. I need updates, and team news, after all isn't that why I have an app? The other baseball apps are nice, but they don't push the news as much as I'll like for just my team. Strike three - I'm out.

I use these apps too often to settle for not having them not exist or not work as they should.

Otherwise, Outlook is nice, so is GroupMe, and Skype is just okay. The third party apps for Twitter, YouTube, and Feedly are great though. For your situation, it works. For me, it doesn't. And yes, the Android apps are better for my listed apps.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I have to say I agree. Outlook on W10M has very quickly overtaken it's Android equivalent for me, the rest of the Office apps are about the same level on both IME.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Some of the basic phone apps, at least the defaults, are much better on W10 too: keyboard, notifications, lockscreen, and homescreen (basic layout), all come to mind. Just the keyboard alone is worth it for a lot of us--something we use every day a lot! I was helping someone with their Samsung S6 and they were struggling typing in something complicated and it was interesting to me the contrast in how crappy the default Android keyboard is--keys too small, predictive typing not as good, etc.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
The stock apps are indeed better on windows phone than on Android. even the WP8.1 mail app is better than the stock android mail app on Samsung. Rest of them, Camera, Calendar, Photos are again better. Even the horrible People app with the circle design on windows 10, overall is better. The one app that is worse on windows phone/wm, is the Store app.
As for Office apps, I cannot say very much, they look to be better on both Android and IOS. Same goes for Outlook which renders the email totally wrong on Windows10 mobile.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Same goes for Outlook which renders the email totally wrong on Windows10 mobile.
I'll partially agree with this. Outlook on Android does render emails better for some reason, but Outlook for W10 is much better than the WP8.1 email app so there has been progress. Apple devices still provide the best email and web page rendering and follow the industry standards much better than either Android or Windows. I don't understand why the industry doesn't realize that agreeing to and sticking to standards would be a boon for everyone. Instead they fight their own turf battles meaning sometimes their expensive emails and web pages look like crap to users and are not as effective.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to list Windows apps that are better than Android. For instance, I cannot live without Bookviser Reader. I love it's 3D page rotation feature and I use it's paid version on my XPS laptop, Lumia smartphone and iBall tablet, all running Windows 10. I searched a lot but cannot find a suitable match for Bookviser reader on Android and even if I did, I won't get the "mobility of experience" that I get on Windows ecosystem.
One final note, Fresh Paint is one of the best painting app. Everybody agrees to that except you. It's one of the gems from Microsoft. Using it on Surface Pro is like a dream come true.

I have a Wacom Cintiq for my graphic design and painting, and I use photoshop or corel draw for painting. Fresh Paint is sort of useable, but no good for painting anything good. I have installed it on everyone's computer that I have given a Microsoft tablet to. No one ever uses it because it is hard to draw anything that doesn't look like you are 4. Again, please share your art to prove me incorrect. You can argue that it is free, but I would rather pay for something that will just work.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The Outlook Calendar on Android kinda sucks, but the email works better (IMO). It's not a big difference between the W10M apps and the Android apps for the most part, certainly not to warrant the outrage in some places here in the forum.

I really wish Microsoft would update the Android Groove app though. That app is so much better in W10M, it is absolutely awful in Android. And I have a two year prepaid sub so...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a Wacom Cintiq for my graphic design and painting, and I use photoshop or corel draw for painting. Fresh Paint is sort of useable, but no good for painting anything good. I have installed it on everyone's computer that I have given a Microsoft tablet to. No one ever uses it because it is hard to draw anything that doesn't look like you are 4. Again, please share your art to prove me incorrect. You can argue that it is free, but I would rather pay for something that will just work.
Fresh Paint is best for casual painters. It may not be perfect for talented professionals like you. Where is the conflict?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion