Side step to make an app for Snapchat?

spazinvader

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I went through the terms and conditions of Snapchat and it seemed that they covered almost all the paths to make a third party app. What I was thinking is that if we are to make a browser that is completely optimized for snapchat(like it can run in back ground, notify users when there are new snaps, everything that is achieved through an app), will it still be an issue? Could they actually sue for a browser optimized for snapchat?

I am no lawyer and I am a mediocre programmer. And a non US resident. And goes without saying, not a user of snapchat. If I write a browser, that has, say a tool bar that can let you see the snaps, manage the snaps, let you share through tools in the tool bar, is this still a violation? In simple words, more like a browser that can render other sites too but render snapchat better than other browsers, is this still violating the rules?

Any thoughts?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm no lawyer either. I didn't even know SnapChat could be used from a browser, or if it can, whatever. I also don't use it.

However, if you wish to get it approved without any repercussions whatsoever, then get SnapChat's view on the matter. Contact them, let them know the plan, and straight up ask them if there would be an issue with that. If they agree to it then you're home free. If they don't want it, they'd just change the terms of service to block it, so it's best to get approval up front.

It will likely depend on "how" the toolbar and browser interacts to make it "better" than other browsers for snapchat.

bmazloum

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I've always said that if you have to ask if something is illegal, then is most likely is.
In the end though, I don't see what harm will be done if you create a website that will allow you to access snapchat from it. They'll revoke your access token if anything or demand the site go down. I doubt they'd go to court right away.

Can you do notifications in web browsers? I didn't know that.

spazinvader

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
@rhapdaog @bmazloum
Thanks for the replies. I will try and contact them for an answer regarding a tool bar for Snapchat on custom Browser. If I get a reply, I will post it here. I agree that getting approval upfront will be lot better than pouring any work.

@rhapdaog
I dont think Snapchat can be used through browser. My idea is to say add a plugin to a browser that will work for Snapchat. A set of buttons(like home button in browser) coupled together(like a tool bar).

@bmazloum
Browser cannot do notifications. But we can make local notifications from any app. Since this will be running in the background, we can poll for snaps or chats and create local notifications. Constant polling will affect battery life pretty badly. So it has to be tweaked. But first, let's hear from the horse's mouth whether they will let this live or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077