What happens to Windows 8.1 to 10 update after 07/28/2016?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

what happens to windows 8.1 to 10 update after 07/28/2016?

I despise windows 10. I was forced to upgrade two days ago. The stupid pop up had been happening for months and I was able to just disregard it. Where was the option NOT to upgrade to W10!? Eventually it somehow froze my windows update because it gave me no option to install other important updates without installing W10. I got that fixed eventually and stayed on 8.1 for a while longer. They made the force-upgrade even more forced recently. I had to either hard shut off my PC by holding down the power button (not good) or to install W10. So I did.

I have a $2,000+ PC and it's slow as shjt now. I have almost no programs etc installed. It's not my fault. It was fine with 8.1. I don't even want to get into the BS of hacking the registry and changing all these things around to try and get it faster I have read about others having the same upgrade problem, I would rather just spend the $100-$200 and buy the OEM windows 10 and do a full clean install after support ends for 8.1 in 2018.

I bought (forced like all XP users) 8.1 and got used to it and it wasn't so bad after a while. Of course the whole new GUI was not welcomed. If it 'aint broke don't fix it. We are used to doing things and navigating by second nature and then they go and change that. They really are shjt heads who program this stuff. A highschool computer class could do better.

And this W10 is like spyware, it auto set me back on the group network and has my location and everything public like they want to put a tracking device up your azz. Few people want that especially by default. It's all marketing BS and of no favor.

so anyways, since I upgraded to W10 from 8.1 does this mean after 07/28/2016 it will auto roll back to 8.1 and I'd have to purchase W10? I hope so and I'd just keep 8.1 until the support ends in 2018. I would also DBAN and completely wipe my SSD to rid it of anything W10 and then reinstall my OEM 8.1 CD. Or will it stay as W10 after 07/28/2016 until I reformat again?
After 07/28/2016, can I reformat back to 8.1 and the god damn pop up to force W10 install will never show up again, right? I hope so. MS sucks and Apple sucks, you can't win.
thanks

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: what happens to windows 8.1 to 10 update after 07/28/2016?

1) All your slow down issues appear to be driver related.

2) You can roll back via settings to Windows 8.1 however you have one month to do so.
To do so go to settings -> update and recovery -> recovery

3) You can download windows 10 via the media creation tool for free and create a bootable usb with which you can do a clean install. You do not need to purchase a new license however you will need to purchase an upgrade if you want to go from W10 Home to W10 Pro.

The upgrade works like this Windows Pro or Ultimate = Windows 10 Pro / Windows Home versions = Windows 10 Home.
If you want to do GPT installs then download Rufus, select GPT for UEFI and use the iso. In order to download the iso choose upgrade a different computer and you may have to untick "use the recommended options for this PC" if x64 is not auto selected.

If you want to upgrade your motherboard in the future and want to continue the same install - use sysprep however you may need to use the automated service to activate if your W8.1 license was a OEI or OEM key.

4) You can turn off the telemetry using apps like Ultimate Tweaker 4.0 (use at your own risk) and not use a microsoft account or select sign-in to certain apps (just click "sign into this app only" at the bottom in the app sign in window). During the install do not press express install and select custom, you can turn off/on additional settings.

5) No, an o/s doesn't auto roll back after a certain date - no O/S to date as ever attributed such behaviour. Once you upgrade to W10, it's free for the life of that device. As mentioned previously you can roll back via settings and regards to the pop up, it may not however I cannot say for certain as I haven't rolled back as W10 is much more efficient on my hard ware than Windows 7 was. W10 starts up instantly on my ssd (850 evo) whereas 7 does take a few seconds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077