W10Mobile - Navigation & maps question?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
W10Mobile - Navigation & maps question

Windows 10 10586.164 - Lumia 640 LTE

As all you know, Windows 10 mobile has 2 maps apps. 1. HERE Maps 2. maps

1. which maps app is officially used by cortana to navigate?

2.I'm from Sri Lanka and the largest city here is Colombo. Android has all the details of the city and whatever I search pops up correctly! Last night I was out driving n wanted to find the closest "dine more" and both maps gave me nothing. Finally after 15 mins of driving n asking for directions I found a place. The silly thing is when i searched for places to eat via cortana while sitting at the restaurant it didn't list the place.

This is really annoying given that most of my colleagues use windows phones n is there a way to tag a place via the phone n share it?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10Mobile - Navigation & maps question

Well, no replies so far! but I got the main reply today when I read about "HERE maps n Drive" dropping support for windows 10 mobile!!! just uninstalled the two apps which also were nice to me this morning saying "HERE will stop working from 30th june 2010". If I'm going to miss it from 2 months, it's better to learn to live without them from this point onwards!!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's actually pretty good here in the US and also in India. The built in maps still uses Here's mapping technology and the offline maps are still powered by Here. Cortana is iffy sometimes when the location or data service doesn't work as expected.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Hmm.. Uninstalled both HERE apps, lets see how good the built in app going to be in Sri Lanka. Is there anyway we can contribute to the maps app by adding places straight from our phones??

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Not really. But I'm pretty sure Here and Microsoft are picking up statistical data for improving their mapping technology from out devices. If you mean something like what Waze does then no.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Frankly, I'm happy to see them gone. Transit was pretty good, but Here Drive was always barebones. The new MS app is better, though I wish it wasn't relying on Here maps. The road data seems good, but I've encountered quite a few times when the address of a business was simply wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)