I think I have reached the limit of what I can do with a fat mush tip stylus.... does anyone out there use any model of an Active Stylus on a non digitizer small tablet ( or touch laptop )??
    An Active Stylus uses a battery to make the static charge for touch screen use, and most do not use blue-tooth. Some do and the palm reject is hit and miss from the reviews I have seen. However most if not all are designed for the iPad. So I hope some here got the same idea as I have to start trying some fine point active stylus on a cheaper model of Windows 10 Tablet .

Looking for any tips and tricks you may have come across, but just never sat down and typed out your findings.....as I only found 1 video where an Active Stylus was used on an RT Surface ( It was not the greatest since sliced bread, but it was better then a mush tip from what I saw.

The model I am thinking I may try first is Adonit Jot Script 2 Evernote Edition Stylus

10393137.jpg

If you have used this or any model of Active Stylus please post up !!!!!!!
    03-12-2016 11:03 AM
    The Jot Script 2.0 will work just like your finger on any capacitive touchscreen device. However, features like increased precision and palm-rejection require a compatible app and an iOS device with Bluetooth 4 such as iPad 3, 4, Air, Mini.
    Looks like you maybe out of luck

Might be worth an email to them?
    Still have questions?

Email us at help@adonit.net and we'll be glad to lend you a hand.
    03-12-2016 12:54 PM
    Their website is confusing...
    Immediate accuracy on iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, and most other touchscreen devices.
    Compatibility: All iOS and Android devices.
    03-12-2016 12:58 PM
    That's why I asked here to see if any have tried. Not just the Jot, but any of the dozen or so others out there. As I said in the first post some use bluetooth and some do not.

The one common between them all is the tip, small fine point. They all also are active Stylus ( require battery to work), if the power is off they do not work on the screen. Some use aaa or aaaa battery, some have built in usb charge battery.

As I also said what I did see for use on a Surface RT it is a step up from the fat mush tip, but in no way do I imply it would be as good as a Surface Pro and Pen.

So because of the mixed message on the web site and the lack of review ( not just iPad ) I suggest we start here.

I am willing to kick it off and test, and if there is improvement over mush tip then maybe start bugging the company to add W10 support for tablet.
    03-12-2016 02:30 PM
    it is a step up from the fat mush tip, but in no way do I imply it would be as good as a Surface Pro and Pen.
    Yup, the SP3 pen is amazing!
    03-12-2016 03:09 PM
    Yup, the SP3 pen is amazing!
    The Surface Pro ( any ) with a pen would be for a serious artist, Student, or professional. I am just looking for an improvement to doodle, maybe take a few notes ( as I have started using Onenote and Evernote for work, hours tracking and numbers for daily totals to cover my butt ).

A mush tip I have found is only good to select tiles/icons and screen movement.....a doodle with a mush tip is awful.

2 examples marker and pencil doodles.......note it is so darn hard to get lines to match up with a mush tip ( $5.00 on sale Stylus)
    test-1.jpg
    test-2.jpg
    03-13-2016 12:25 PM
    The Surface Pro ( any ) with a pen would be for a serious artist, Student, or professional. I am just looking for an improvement to doodle, maybe take a few notes
    That's one thing I like about the pen, it's great for writing. My scribble looks just as bad when I use the SP3 to a normal pen!

Also I never use a mouse and not often the trackpad as the precision of the pen means using W10 is easy just poking things.

Report back if you find a decent pen as I would guess many would be interested.
    03-13-2016 04:54 PM
    Ok so I took the plunge and grabbed the Adonit Jot Script ( Evernote Edition ), basically a Jot Script with bonus of Evernote upgrade for 6 months. I have only tinkered for under an hour, but I have to say the use of an active stylus on a Windows 10 Tablet ( my case is Acer W3 8" non digitizer), is awesome when you have only ever used a fat mush tip !!!!!!!!

I will state for the record now, it is in no way shape or form as good as a Surface + Pen or any model that has pen support. I have played with Surface Pro + Pen so I have a frame of reference.

Once you are used to the feel of a fine point Active Stylus , and even I am blown away at how quick it started to feel like natural pen and paper, you will enjoy the ability to print or write a note!!!!!!

The Jot Script paired with both my Lumia 640 XL and my Acer W3 ( but there is no added support by doing so), and while Fresh Paint on the 640 XL with finger/mush tip stylus was just god awful doodle crap, small improvement with Active Stylus. The biggest improvement was on the Acer W3, and I mean by leaps and bounds !!!!!

Printing was much better ( no lag that I saw ) and it took 2 tries to pair, and shows the icon for HID, so no palm reject ability or even levels of pressure, but the Acer W3 was never made to be Surface like.

I will report more and post samples when I have time, and I will even try to get a video demo on my youtube. However for the time being I can say for a non digitizer cheap Atom based tablet like the Acer W3...... an Active Stylus is the way to go !!!!

So if you can find a Jut Script ( Active Stylus ) on sale for a good price, I would snap it up!!!!!!!!! They are marketed to iPad users and do have extra features on Apple devices, but man the improvement I have seen in just an hour of use seems worth it to me.

Oh I almost forgot, not sure if it helped but I calibrated my device using the Active Stylus 3 or 4 times and rebooted after.

Color me impressed !!!!!!!
    03-17-2016 11:54 AM
    Ok time for some examples.

Now please bear in mind first 2 were done in doodle apps not note takers and it was within first hour of use so my printing is rough, I believe the term is "chicken scratch"
    test-3.jpg

test-4.jpg

After some playing around it will slowly become better ( as you now have to be aware to keep your hand off screen ), however in Edge use of Ink and One note can come in handy.

screenshot-8-.png

So as you see my hand is starting to get used to the pen still not the neatest but a little better. Where the Active Stylus shines and is the greatest thing since sliced bread is in Desktop mode !!!!!!

Fine point control over a fat mush tip or finger, I would say as dead on as a mouse !!!! Hitting small targets in File explorer, use in the menus almost no missed taps or tapping wrong item !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can say now I will not go back to a mush tip ever, just after a few goes with an Active fine point stylus I am starting to really like using it, and can now attempt things I never would have with a mush tip!!!
    03-17-2016 08:39 PM
    I almost forgot to say One Note and Evernote + hand written input keyboard ( built into Windows 10 ) + Active Stylus = Super !!!!!!

Above + mush tip not worth the time.

I haven't run the training wizard for hand written input yet, but that will be something I do next. However with no training of the tablet, doing a quick note is almost effortless!!!
    03-17-2016 08:57 PM
    Thanks for reporting back, glad that it's working out well
    03-18-2016 11:42 AM
    Thanks for reporting back, glad that it's working out well
    No worry !! I am just glad I found something that others haven't tripped over yet! It could save a starving student or cheap person like myself a buck or two

So for $199 ( Acer W3 on clearance ), and $90 for the Stylus ( can be found cheaper - Evernote Upgrade), I am almost Surface like........ No hover, palm reject but I can live with it!!!!
    img_0053.jpg
    img_0054.jpg
    03-19-2016 08:42 AM
    Sorry for the long delay, but I just got around to getting a video posted. Nothing exciting, just a demo to show it does work.

eusty likes this.
    03-23-2016 03:05 AM