Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoDeH1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

This whole thing means: if I buy a Lumia 950 today, there is no guarantee that it will get updates 2 years later. Actually the track record of Microsoft tells that it is likely that it won't get updates.
Agree!

OmniusOne

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

got to admit i am a bit confused by all this

on my 1020 in the about page it says OS build: 10.0.10586.164 version 1511

i am on the preview programme and on slow ring. is this look about right? which build is this classed as?
Your on the Threshold 2 branch of Windows 10 mobile; the latest version for that branch. It's the version that was just released OTA. There 'may' be a couple more releases to that branch, and then it will end. (the OS will still function, but be unsupported). Redstone branch will then take over, and is currently being tested by insiders in the fast ring.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

thanks 0mnius0ne, for a clear sensible answer, i now understand. much appreciated, will stay on slow ring for a while then, see what comes! - cheers

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I agree it's different and I think it's understandable why three year old phones won't be ugpraded. I think that some of the justified anger, though, is their original statement that all Windows 8 phones would be upgradable to 10. They backtracked that some after the fact, but that initial promise was made.

I thought they promised all phones that came with 8.1 out of the box would get 10...

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yup - it's like windows phone 7 again .. shame on me for getting burned .. again!! .. not going to happen a third though..

Its not at all like WP7. If you have an older Windows 8 phone that you want windows 10 on, just use the production ring of the insiders preview and you are there. Windows Phone 7 can in no way be upgraded to Windows 8

Dileep Kadavarath

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020 owners

L1320 is dual core....not SD400......but it should get W10M..

mine L720...feeling like w10m wont be coming to this phone ever

1320 most certainly has a SD400 processor. One of the few phones to carry the Krait cored SD400 - it was mighty but inefficient compared to the later A7 cored SD400.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

but on an android 4.4 device u can use latest Microsoft services and apps...you cant do this today on a windows phone 8.1 device....the missing update on windows is far more a problem than on android

You can if you put the insiders preview of Windows 10 on it...

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Many well known apps support Android 4.0 and iOS 7, so users of iPhone 4 or never updated Samsung Galaxy SIII still have the exact same apps as those using iPhone 6s or Samsung Galaxy S7.

And many apps don't support Android 4.0 and iOS 7 and those people with iPhone 4 and Galaxy 3 are stuck using older versions of the apps just like people on Windows 8 that choose not to download Windows 10 on the insiders preview.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I thought the same thing...I own a 925 with the Insider Preview and it runs fine, except for the bugs. You'd think with more work and updates it could be made to run just as well, if not better, than WP8.1.

This smacks of getting us to buy newer phones. Understandable in a way (the 925 was released nearly 3 years ago), but quite frankly unless the HP Elite X3 turns out to be a miraculous bargain then the Samsung S7 is beckoning :S

So you are willing to pay the big bucks for a new Samsung phone but not for a new Windows Phone?

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

No doubt why they don't fix the freezing issue on 1320 since build 10581. They already have given up long time before!

So I'm not the only one having this issue? I just got my 1320 this week and it has been freezing and locking up. I thought my phone was defective.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I really like windows phone and I've owned several phones: 1020, 1320, 930 and 830. But now I am getting tired of MS care about it's loyal customers. I don't think it is acceptable for its customers not to support the x20 with devices at least 1gb of RAM. I don't think it's a hardware issue, really. The slower lumia 435 is a slower device that 820, 920, 1020 and 1320 but still it got supported. Really it's not about those 4 x20 devices are old. The 1320 was launched the same day as 1520 so it's not that old (and 1320 is only slighty faster that 920). Even the 1020 is just half year older than the 1520. Yeah yeah granted the 435 has newer generation chip and also the 830 (which is slightly faster than 920), but win10 overall performance is not acceptable on 830 (at least for me) compared when 8.1 was released. You can debate that 830 has 4 cpu cores and the 4 x20 devices only has 2 cores, I doubt if win10 and most apps consumes more than 2 cores. What is most important here is the single thread performance of the cpu.

What is really disappointing here is MS promised to support 8.1 devices before but I think it is really logical not to support the 512mb devices. That promise gave so much high hopes then in an instance they drop it. That is really frustrating. especially for 1020 owners who are still waiting for the next gen 1020.

Another fact, WP strength is having smooth experience on all devices regardless if you have high-end or low-end phone. Well win10 is becoming like the old Android where to get at least smooth performance you must get a higher end device. I am currently using Lumia 830 and I don't think its cpu is really that slow but win10 overall performance is poor (even with hard reset). I think MS just don't have time to optimize win10 yet at the level close to 8.1 (maybe in future releases).

I have two iPad 2 which are older than 920, but two devices are still running smoothly on iOS 9. What I am saying is that's a great customer support coming from Apple. Yeah iOS 9 was really an optimized iOS7 (which was really slow on older iOS devices, but eventually Apple optimized the OS). I think MS should have done the same way so as not to upset all of the 4 x20 devices. I mean some x20 users have good experience with win10 and some were not. MS should have left the choice to its customers.

Your iPad 2 runs iOS 9 smoothly? iOS 9 made my iPad 2 run so badly that I am moving to a Surface tablet. Everything runs slow and crashes since I updated the OS.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

No, this is completely different. Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 needed completely different hardware. Windows Phone 8 to Windows 10 Mobile, though, Microsoft was all in to give it to everyone. HOWEVER, Windows Insiders spoke truthfully, gave honest feedback, and said, "Look, Windows 10 Mobile just does NOT work on my phone as much as I want it to," and after months of trying, pushing the upgrade from the end of 2015 to a couple days ago, which is about 3-4 months of optimizations to get it working, the feedback didn't change. Insiders still gave the same feedback, "These upgrades aren't working well on our phones."

So after months of dedicated work, pushing the upgrade further and further back, Microsoft finally said, "Hey, look, we tried, and we're sorry, but there's no more time, we need to start on the next set of upgrades now. That'll do for all the feedback, thank you for the help, and with a sad goodbye, we applaud all of your feedback," which instead of making some normal, every day customers upset, decided to cancel the upgrade all together.

Time ran out, and the feedback didn't improve enough, even though the performance did. Sorry, everyone tried.

Very well put!!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

You seem to be mistaken. I'm not even angry or mad. Read my post immediately before the one you quoted. All in all, MS took a brave move so the development can move forward. There's nothing wrong with that.
However, I waited 4 years for the app situation to improve, especially after the promising influx of ported apps. Unfortunately, my phone won't benefit from future updates and presently doesn't have the apps I want. So I merely remarked that it was time for me to move on.
Also, a quip is a quip. Figurative end of life is not the same as physical failure.

You don't buy a car hoping one day the right sized tires are created for it so you can drive. I don't understand why people get windows phone knowing the app situation is not great. Waiting for something to happen is silly. You should use your money to buy something that currently allows you to take advantage of the investment. So those angry at MS only have themselves to blame.

I bought my phone because the app situation doesn't bother me. I don't need anything from the other platforms. And this platform suited my needs best for how I use my phone. And if it gets better, heck I won't complain. But my needs are being met regardless. If I truly wanted apps I could have shelled out a tiny bit extra for an iphone 6s plus, but I bought the 950xl instead. And It was a great purchase regardless of what MS does in the future. As long as I can still use it how I bought it.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Your iPad 2 runs iOS 9 smoothly? iOS 9 made my iPad 2 run so badly that I am moving to a Surface tablet. Everything runs slow and crashes since I updated the OS.

Yah that is the biggest lie on earth. I have an ipad 2, ipaid air, iphone 6 and honestly after i believe ios 8 everything went down hill on the ipad 2. The ipad air has also lost some performance with ios 9. The iphone 6 I gave to my dad and there haven't really been complaints.
Funny part is my mom has the 520 and my dad finds it much easier to navigate than the iphone 6. And that's supposed to be intuitive. But ios 9 just is not very intuitive.

Anyways, even with all these tweaks ipad 2 just does not run like it did on previous versions. But at least it keeps security holes tightened.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I am a Lumia 820 user. Mine is 3 years old but most of the 2 year old phones have been left out, as well. I think this is too short for a lifespan. I think even 3 year old phones should still receive updates. A 2.5 year old flagship device (925) is not getting any updates anymore? The only explanation is that Microsoft couldn't optimize Windows 10 Mobile CPU/memory usage so far and does not want to spend any more money on doing so in the future which is a shame.

This is what separates Microsoft and Apple. There are a lot of Apple haters here, I know, but we should accept that Apple wouldn't do such a thing ever. Even 4 year old iPhone 4s got the latest iOS. Please don't tell me "go buy an iPhone then". I like having choice and want Microsoft to do better, and criticism is the only way.

This whole thing means: if I buy a Lumia 950 today, there is no guarantee that it will get updates 2 years later. Actually the track record of Microsoft tells that it is likely that it won't get updates.

They could at least do some kind of special offer like "bring your old Lumia and get 50$-100$ discount".

You also have to weigh a few things into it. Can you make the kernel/os less bloated by not supporting old chips that will never appear on the market again and will have a very small amount of users on it? Windows 10 is being built for the future not the past, why bother really? My bro has the 925 and he doesn't care, he has what he needs and uses the phone for what he bought it for. He doesn't care about new apps or anything like that. He has what he needs. He didn't buy the phone expecting some miracle to happen, that would be crazy. You buy the phone for what is available at the time of the purchase.

"oh man 10 years from now this puppy will have facebook". Seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb