Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

From what I remember it was said most/majority of devices would get an upgrade. There was a lot of talk about first wave of devices which most of the 20 series were not included and the second wave where the 20 series were included. The devices missing out were those with 4GB internal memory

Secondly, some recent statistics mentioned that the 520 was the most popular phone followed by a few 20 series phones and the newer 40 series phones. So the upgrade will be happening for less than half of the total windows phone users

So where does that leave us? To upgrade or not upgrade?

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

It may be sad for some people but maybe for the platform it's for the best. I think in the end the lower performing phones may hamstring further development for the platform moving forward. They tried but it just didn't work so good. Now maybe they can optimise the platform for the better performing phones and in the end see a better windows 10 mobile experience for the customers.

Dr_Henry_Killinger

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft isn't going to get anywhere by being "no worse" than Android. This could have been a selling point for them but they blew it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Weird thing is, I have an old netbook that I installed W10 on to test it on low power builds. W10 upgrade went fine, and it runs as well W7 did performance wise. That netbook is less powerful than my Lumia 820. So I know for sure that when MS tells us they won't release W10 for the 820 due to performance issues, they are not being straight with me. Why will MS support upgrades on an old netbook they didn't even make, and abandon their own, newer, more powerful devices? Ah yes, that would be tradition. Zune anyone?

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Bye bye Microsoft...

So you can move to another platform You can go get a really expensive Iphone where you clearly pay to much for what you get. Or you can go to android then latter wine because your phone will never get updated and will have terrible battery life and suffer from exploits and viruses.

Mike Jain

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, and how many users gave unnecessarily negative feedback on their experience?
Serve people right if MS actually took their word and decided not to roll out W10M to many devices :)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, and how many users gave unnecessarily negative feedback on their experience?
Serve people right if MS actually took their word and decided not to roll out W10M to many devices :)

you have a point there. Lots of negative feedback instead of constructive feedback.

What some were posting: mail is not working - this is stupid of MS
What might have been posted: mail does not sync, provide screenshots or data, give enough information for better analysis

trha

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

My heart breaks a little when I hear about this news.
Just got my 925 9 months ago :(

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

I had Windows 10 Mobile for over three months. Since .29 version, the Glance never launched. The Camera app did not have autofocus when recording a video - I had to manually focus while recording. There were other performance issues. I hoped for a firmware update and then W10M.

The three year support promise was a lie. They tactically delayed the OS and deprived some devices of it. Support time should have been from October 2012 to October 2015. Performance excuse is not true. Given their history of "un-trustworthiness", I already suspected and they did what I feared.

Wrong. Support has never meant that you'll get the next update, nor are Microsoft obliged to provide Win 10 if they don't want to - it's always been their decision. If they think that it doesn't run well on Krait based CPUs based on feedback, that's their decision.

WP8.1 has 3 years of support from launch - see here.
8.1 is supported until July 11th, 2017, 3 years to the day of it's release. That's another 15 months, which is nearly 5 years of software support for the Lumia 920.

Just because it's not getting Win10 (and I have a 920 too that won't get it) doesn't mean it's not supported. You're more than welcome to contact Microsoft if you have problems and they will try to help if you are on 8.1 - they won't with the 920 on vanilla Win 8 (support ended) or on Win 10 (not supported).

Its because they dont want to waste time for firmware updates for all S4 devices which is legit, but just dont lie for reasons behind this decission. And don't make it based on our feedback.

If the feedback was that it runs terribly then why shouldn't Microsoft not be allowed to decide that not updating is the better option to maintain performance?

I remain staggered by the anger and entitlement expressed by many on this thread. While it's disappointing that my 920 or 630 will not get the official update, technically speaking Microsoft have provided an option to update to Win 10 via the Technical Preview and I didn't buy either phone with the expectation that it they would be updated. Based on the comments I've read over the last few months, it seems that the performance was questionable at best on older hardware and it makes sense to have a device work at it's potential best rather than update it with software that may cause more problems than it solves.

Last edited by a moderator:

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

I really do not get all the whining and ranting of people with devices that old.
512 MB Ram in 2016 and you wand Windows 10 on it? Seriously, there are phones that will have 6GB of Ram this year....

And the most important thing: if your unsupported phone rung great on Insider Preview build, why do you rant because you do not have an "official" tag on it?
It runs good? Great, you have Windows 10! Where is the problem??? It doesn't run good? Then MS is right and this update is not suitable for you.

You have the 10586 branch which will still be updated untill Redstone is official (june being the closest). So you can have Windows 10 without any problems. Again what is the problem?

And the most funny comments are the ones coming from people with very low-end 512 mb devices that are pissed off because they do not have Windows 10 on them and are ready to spend hundreds of dollars on way more expensive phones from Android that has a bigger problem with updates on much more powerfull hardware. Why not buy a more capable Windows 10 device?
In the Android world phones get left out after just one majos OS version and under 2 years since launch with no speciffic reasons why (obviously to buy new hardware) yet nobody complains about that!

Seriously people, MS gave you Windows 10 and at least untill Redstone, all devices are supported through Insider program. After that you'll still have the most stable build of Windows 10 TH2 (10586.xxx), so all apps will run and all features of that branch will be there. WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

[...]So I know for sure that when MS tells us they won't release W10 for the 820 due to performance issues, they are not being straight with me. [...]
It's not really about raw perfomance, it's because they saw way too much problems from the previews, and many of them coming because old (albeit partially powerful) hardware, esp. the chipsets. They would have been forced to solve the problems with the manufacturer of said hardware.
So they pulled the plug, as they didn't see a chance to take these phones with them on the W10 journey.
It's sad for many, mee too, but I can accept it and bet that it is a good decision for the future.
Some insights here, in German:
Kein Windows 10 Mobile f?r ?ltere Lumias: Einige Gr?nde und Erkl?rungen - Dr. Windows

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Meh. Whatevs. I dropped my 1320 in the concrete parking lot and shattered the glass and damaged the screen, too, so I've been rocking a 640 for a while now. Much more usable than the phablet, sadly.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

As the owner of a 520 and 1020, I can tell you that they both are too slow to bother upgrading, the 520 lags on WP8.1, and the 1020 is just fast enough with 8.1. The Icon/930 and 1320 deserve receiving an official upgrade though.

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Why not buy a more capable Windows 10 device?
In the Android world phones get left out after just one majos OS version and under 2 years since launch with no speciffic reasons why (obviously to buy new hardware) yet nobody complains about that!
That's the list of things that chenged from WP8.1 to W10M http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...10m-new-features-listed-compared-wp8-1-a.html

If in 2013 I got a Android with 4.4 I could do everything that W10M does right now. The problem is that I waited here cause MS promised that every WP8 would get W10M and all the problems (great apps from MS better on Android) would be fixed.

Why stay in a platform that will continue to have updates until it gets good if I don't know if the update that I need will really come. It's better to use a complete platform that don't need updates to have a good Office or attach documents in a e-mail reply.

Android don't NEED updates cause it already has the most needed things and W10M is a constant updatable platform that we don't know if will get something complete as competition.

You can repeat it thousend times, but....Show me a quote where they said this.
November 2014 is enough?
Microsoft: all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to Windows 10 | The Verge

---
Sorry if my english is not good. Feel free to correct me, I like to learn :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

But did they really say that? I kind of remember them saying all WP8.1 devices would get Win10.

And that's a big part of the problem, no clear communication about their plans, just nebulous posts here and there. But as far as I remember they did say all, the whole qualifier about being native 8.1 was never explicitly stated so they seem to have intentionally left that open to misinterpretation.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

So you can move to another platform You can go get a really expensive Iphone where you clearly pay to much for what you get. Or you can go to android then latter wine because your phone will never get updated and will have terrible battery life and suffer from exploits and viruses.

C'mon, stop the lies. Window Phone fans have championed underpowered devices just like iPhone users, commonly stating, "The OS doesn't need the extra horsepower". Windows Phones are no more likely to be updated than Android devices (I take it you don't own an Icon or 1320). Unless you are sideloading pirated apps or using a third party app store, you aren't going to get a virus on your Android device.

Everyone is free to stay or leave, and while there are legitimate drawbacks to moving to iOS or Android, like the lack of WPs start screen, you do gain things like app support and frequent flagship device upgradability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte