Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

It's already hard for a developer to take Windows Mobile seriously. Now with very few models upgrading officially, how is the app situation supposed to improve? The 520 alone accounts for more than 10% of all windows phones.

The app situation has been getting really good on the windows 10 side with almost no phones on it. Major developers are aware of MIcrosoft's plan. They have to be silent though. But you will hear more during build. The issue is that 520 could actually hold developers back if they have to support it. Windows phone is completely reliant on the future nothing to do with the current devices. You can cry about it, but it's a fact. I have a 520, 830 and 950XL. And Spring 2017 when MS releases their new device line with redstone, I'm sure there will be features my 950XL won't support. And you know what? I don't care because that's how technology works. I bought a car that has no bluetooth, or great features and I paid a lot back then. But it still works for me the way I bought it. You did not buy the 520 with apps in mind, we know that because Windows never really had many apps. So if you bought the 520 because you thought MS will turn it into a super phone and apps will show up in the future, bad move.

jasonnovak

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

My 1520 has issues so I'm back to using my 920 with the Windows 10 insider. I'd be pretty disappointed if the insider program wasn't an option, but since it is I can see why they don't make it official on this phone. I do notice a lot of "resuming" screens. Sometimes I'll double-tap the phone when it's sleeping to see my lock screen and all I see is the background, it doesn't draw any text before the screen times out and goes back to sleep. One time i couldn't answer the phone because it wasn't responsive. Annoying, but not enough to move off of windows 10.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

The app situation has been getting really good on the windows 10 side with almost no phones on it. Major developers are aware of MIcrosoft's plan. They have to be silent though. But you will hear more during build. The issue is that 520 could actually hold developers back if they have to support it. Windows phone is completely reliant on the future nothing to do with the current devices. You can cry about it, but it's a fact. I have a 520, 830 and 950XL. And Spring 2017 when MS releases their new device line with redstone, I'm sure there will be features my 950XL won't support. And you know what? I don't care because that's how technology works. I bought a car that has no bluetooth, or great features and I paid a lot back then. But it still works for me the way I bought it. You did not buy the 520 with apps in mind, we know that because Windows never really had many apps. So if you bought the 520 because you thought MS will turn it into a super phone and apps will show up in the future, bad move.

ROFL Spring 2017.

This is Soon™ on steroids.

BBurke33609

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

This is all based on the feedback they get from the feedback app. If you get asked if you would recommend this build to a friend or how is the performance etc... and the answer was 3 stars or less it was part of the reason why it didn't get an official release. They didn't use any synthetic benchmarks and performance tests as the measure of this. They used the subjective experiences of users with the OS on the devices.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I fell cheated, but by now only a little.
6 months after I got my 1020, Windows 10 was coming next year after 8.1 and/or 8.2. The next year, W10 for PC comes out, no W10 for Mobile. By then, new phone releases for MS were falling off (oh, we are waiting for W10M), and they pretty much fired all the nokia people they bought. a year after that now, they put out the 950 ( that didn't get good reviews for W10M) and still no W10M update, until today, when it is as official as I need to know - no W10M for my 1020.

I understood after Denim came out that my 1020 and its awesome camera were ******* children, so pretty much after that I didn't have high expectations for any real update.

I like the Windows interface, and the fact that it has stayed snappy through the updates I did receive. That was the main reason I left Apple - laggy updates. My phone will die someday, and the best MS can hope for from me is that I get the previous years 5xx/6xx model. No more high end if it gets ignored before they stop selling it. It really depends on whether I want to try out android or its derivatives.

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

I feel I like I was betrayed. Been testing for Microsoft the last year with Insider program.
My 925 has been running smoothly with the last couple builds.
They should at least give customers the option to upgrade or not to upgrade.
I'm waiting for a flagship in the fall to switch. But it will unlikely to be a Windows phone.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

same sad story as it was with windows phone 7 to windows phone 8 ((

Actually I think this one is MUCH different. With 7 to 8 the decision that existing 7 phones wouldn't get 8 was made just a few months after the flagship Lumia 900 (yes, advertised as a flagship) and the 800 were released. That meant those of us that bought those phones would be stuck with our outdated phones for almost the entire life of our 2 year contracts (at least those of us in the US, as contracts were still big then). Within months our premium priced flagship phones became the 99 cent models with the release of the 820 and 920. With the 9 to 10 change, the phones not getting it have already been out for 2-3 years. You have already gotten the expected lifetime out of the phones.

Last edited:

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Don't care. Had a 1520 sold it...had a 950XL sold it and my 920 hasn't been charged for 113 days and sits in my night stand.
I'll skip the Surface Phone beta version and wait for V3 so I'm done with WP for at least 3 years as my daily driver.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

The app situation has been getting really good on the windows 10 side with almost no phones on it
No argument there. Major developers are likely going to do what Microsoft did and build the apps optimized for desktop or large tablets and convert them to mobile as an afterthought or if at all.
The result is what you see in Microsoft's own apps in Windows 10 Mobile. Navigation isn't as good as before; identical apps are more resource intensive and harder to code; long delays in the development cycle to test all screens. Similar versions of Microsoft own apps are running better on competing platforms partly because the multi-screen complexity isn't there.
It sounds negative, but that is what I observed to be true so far. BTW, I don't own one of the above phones. I'm a developer specializing in line of business apps using xaml who is interested in mobile apps. This move by Microsoft means I need to ignore UWP and use the obsolete development environment if I want to get more the 50% of the Microsoft phones. So why even start?
Most of the popular apps are basically photo or thought sharing apps, news readers, video playback apps, or web site conversions. All of which a 520 can easily handle. You shouldn't need to buy a new phone unless you expect to use a new feature that requires it or you crack the screen.
Starting over in 2016 after the smartphone golden age has likely peaked is not likely a wise move in my opinion. I will be watching build, but I suspect there will be more focus on xarmin and developing for the more stable leading platforms.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm transitioning over to apple again completely... iPad Air 2 (getting the 3) iPhone 5s and OSX

Goodbye Microsoft. It was fun while it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo