Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

For a moment let's stop comparing the situation with the other platforms.Adduplex made a calculation and the result is not nice.50% of the current wp devices are not getting the update. While technically is understandable why, the fault here is the Microsoft rushed to make a promise! They should have said instead that the list of devices which will indeed get the update will be made after the feedbacks! While it's embarrassing that they were not able to make win10 run on 1gb x20/x25 models it's normal to avoid being even more in a bad picture than they already are.
They had to chose the least of worst.
The truth is that the whole situation is not ok. Many many users will switch platforms because of one poorly made promise.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

For a moment let's stop comparing the situation with the other platforms.Adduplex made a calculation and the result is not nice.50% of the current wp devices are not getting the update. While technically is understandable why, the fault here is the Microsoft rushed to make a promise! They should have said instead that the list of devices which will indeed get the update will be made after the feedbacks! While it's embarrassing that they were not able to make win10 run on 1gb x20/x25 models it's normal to avoid being even more in a bad picture than they already are.
The truth is that the whole situation is not ok. Many many users will switch platforms because of one poorly made promise.

This seems to be the final nail in the platform's coffin. None of my friends with phones not eligible for the W10 update are going to buy new Windows devices. Instead, they are all opting for Android, which seems, at this point, that it has caught up with, or even surpassed WP in most of its outstanding features and perks. The only thing missing are live tiles, at least in my view.

It's really a shame, I used to love the WP platform but I see little point now in buying a new Windows phone...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

They could make it work, we see 520s running well on it. And you do get windows 10 as promised, just won't get redstone or anything else. So technically it extends the lifespan of your device for a bit there. A device that is already old. This was planned in a way. New features will be coming in Redstone. Old devices will not be able to use them anyways. Why go through all the issues this could cause when instead you can drop them and not have to worry about constantly updating code for extremely old devices when windows 10 is meant for the future.

And here's the kicker. MS already knew how much percentage will drop. They still took the risk because Redstone is far too big to care about that percentage. It's a completely new market for new people to jump in on. Not even steal market share from competitors but build a new category that will be part of future market share reports. Just like they did with the surface line. The re-invention is not hardware, it's software. They don't do hardware. They just show off their own hardware they make but would prefer OEMs to do the brunt work. And that's how it is in the PC industry. This is how the 2-in-1 laptops are selling and that's how the 2-in-1 phones will be selling. And the market share will be up for grabs for any OEMs. MS isn't trying to steal that share. So they don't care if the phone shares get obliterated. They are just phones...

And I should mention. The software is designed to adapt to any hardware. The feature set that they include is what will open up OEMs to any sort of devices they wish. They don't even have to be phones, they can be ar units, video game consoles. Anything.

MS is essentially introducing a new battleground for OEMs to gain market share in.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Maybe because I'm an old head, No matter how hard I try I find it difficult that anyone can really be that upset about this. I mean come on now, some of the aforementioned devices are getting pretty old or cost very little money to buy to start with.
Ask yourself these questions, 1- does my device still run fine on 8.1? 2- isn't it true my device will be supported til 2017? 3- if I really want win10 can I still get it?
the answer is true/yes to all 3- MS is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Either way people will always find something. There's always going to be disappointment. Pura Vida, That's Life!

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

For the last few months, at least 6, I've heard every ridicule imaginable about the "feedback" program. Every insult under the sun hurled at Microsoft. So now we find out that they WERE listening to us.
And while we may not like the result, if it affects us unfavorably, that whole "feedback" program drove these decisions.
Microsoft made business decisions, not personal decisions. WE make personal decisions.

After all the dust settles, and it will, the truth is Microsoft did NOT say you can or can't have W10mobile. In fact, that is still YOUR personal decision. And if you do want it, it's FREE, for crying out loud. Lol

Make a personal decision and be happy with it. We live in remarkable times. Don't let your smart phone life cycle steal your joy.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Maybe because I'm an old head, No matter how hard I try I find it difficult that anyone can really be that upset about this. I mean come on now, some of the aforementioned devices are getting pretty old or cost very little money to buy to start with.
Ask yourself these questions, 1- does my device still run fine on 8.1? 2- isn't it true my device will be supported til 2017? 3- if I really want win10 can I still get it?
the answer is true/yes to all 3- MS is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Either way people will always find something. There's always going to be disappointment. Pura Vida, That's Life!

Exactly what I have been trying to say! No one that wants W10 on their Lumia phone is left out. The insiders preview allows 100% of Lumia Windows 8 phones (and some non-Lumia Windows 8 phones) to install and run Windows 10. What else do you want?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

After all the dust settles, and it will, the truth is Microsoft did NOT say you can or can't have W10mobile. In fact, that is still YOUR personal decision. And if you do want it, it's FREE, for crying out loud. Lol
Make a personal decision and be happy with it. We live in remarkable times. Don't let your smart phone life cycle steal your joy.

We must be the same age :winktongue:
Exactly what I've been thinking through all this "woe be unto me" event.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
MS is correct for not putting w10m on devices released before 2013. I've been running w10m from .29->.164 on a L920 and they were good but now the OS is sputtering. Scrolling, opening apps, rare restarts, missing tiles when returning to start screen. Don't get me wrong there are others with same or equivalent device not experiencing same but what it does tell me that updates to come will add more that puts more strain on my already aging chipset. Honestly I'd rather have a device that runs the OS optimally, yes I'm disappointed but if we want progress we must go with the flow. I'm moving to a Lumia 640xl and I believe that it will offer a smoother experience and obviously bigger screen as well. Makes no sense continually harping on MS about being stagnant and also want them to work on devices that come Nov. this year will be 4 yrs old. Don't bring Apple into it as their devices are the same just improved chipset and screen size compared to the many many chipsets running WP8.1 with either 512 or 1gb ram. Allowing those iPhones to run the updated os is easy due to limited number of device models compared to windows. So instead of griping on MS, just get a newer pocket friendly Lumia or other device to run the w10m to have the best experience possible.

Vodyan

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site

Microsoft used the 20 series owners to take advantage of a free testers . But the promise to upgrade their phones to 10 violated . Liar .

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Anyone remember the onedrive debacle? Where storage was reduced for free users? They backtracked a couple of weeks afterwards and gave an apology along with a compromise.

If we can make enough noise, they could give us some kind of compromise, right?

JackCao

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

512mb lumia are too old,too low powerful.but why MS won't push win10m to 1gb lumia device? they can still run win10 well(at least in .164).... next windowsphone I would choose XIAOMI MI5.Goodbye MS!

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

you really wanted W10M on 512MB phones ? I mean ok, but you know that will be lagfest ?

MS have reason to not official release for 512MB RAM phones because of feedback from insiders - it was useless device with W10M...
Same aplies to old S4 phones.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

We must be the same age :winktongue:
Exactly what I've been thinking through all this "woe be unto me" event.

I'm staring "senior citizenship" right in its face. ��

Yea, I can hold a new Walmart Lumia 640 in my hands, loaded with 10586.164 loaded on it, and simply marvel at what we can accomplish with $40 bucks. I can walk an "W10M unaware" coworker or friend\family through it and they are shocked. But not nearly as shocked as when I tell them they can have it. "No really, here, take it. I have more. Consider it a gift" (I often point out they don't have to even put their SIM in it if they can't emotionally part with their current Galaxy-this or IPhone-that)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

"W10M unaware" coworker or friend\family through it and they are shocked. But not nearly as shocked as when I tell them they can have it. "No really, here, take it. I have more. Consider it gift"

I would say that is the best form of advertisement that Microsoft could hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb