Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Maybe you're just lucky..i have the same firmware , same rm model. Was planning to update my firmware to another one , but i don't know what should i do anymore. I faced some freezing/heating and battery problems. I don't want to stay on 8.1 :\

Yeah even it's not entirely perfect the OS i don't wanna go back to 8.1. Coz 10 on the 1320 is super. Try doing a hard reset on the current build and setting up the phone as fresh. Don't back up anything.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Well, past is past and cannot be changed. So here are a few tips for users of 512 MB devices running Windows 10 Mobile production build no 586.164.
1> Reduce the number of apps installed on your device. Apps run in background and I have observed that somehow the performance is proportional to the number of apps installed. So install only important apps.
2> Always back up data to cloud.
3> Try to reduce multitasking. Don't open more than 3 to 4 apps on your device at a time.
4> Limit the number of Live tiles to less than 3 pages.
5> Don't install your apps on SD card. Install them on phone's memory. That's very important.
6> Disable background tasks and notifications for the apps that are pinned to the start screen because the same information is also visible on the LIVE tiles. Limit the number of apps allowed to show notifications to less than 6. This will improve battery life.
7> Last but not the least, expect some bugs because the firmware of older Lumias were never updated. So things like internet sharing shutting down, apps closing randomly and screen freezing down for no reason will happen sometimes.
This will help you to run Windows 10 Mobile on 512 MB RAM devices perfectly till the Redstone build appears and apps are developed for that build. But guess what, considering the speed of Microsoft's updates, it will take another year to arrive officially. So we have full 1 year with our devices.

Last edited:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft just nailed another one on it's user base just like they did before, twice! The fact that they were unable to make the x20 series compatible enough, it's pathetic! They said one thing and delivered another. Lies lies lies. While I agree that a half working device is nothing to be happy about and it would have been worse for everyone, they should have NOT made any stupid promisses. No one would have bothered if they would have said that the list of comptible phones will be delivered at the end.

Nguyen Minh4

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site

I am an L1020 user. Since the annoucement of Windows 10, I didn't join the Insider program and waited so long for the final build to come. When they finally said that my phone was unable to upgrade to windows 10, I was so angry that I myself test the Insider program to see what's the problem. So far, nothing happens. it was smooth like butter!! Maybe I am among the lucky user, but really, Microsoft shouldn't cut us loose like this! We are the one who decide which user experience we'd like to get!!

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Well, that's what I was trying to say: it looks like Microsoft, going forward is going all in with app development on all platforms, and looking to break with WP8.1 users.
The amount of users on W10 mobile is so negligible, it's probably on par with the Symbian/Firefox OS and Blackberry user base.

The way forward, it seems, is with Microsoft apps on Android and iOS, since their own phone community is going to shrink to under 1% of all mobile users.

You are missing the point of Universal apps. A dev can already target 250m plus users of Windows 10.

That is 1 app to run on phone, 2 in 1, laptop and desktop.

I have a seamless way of listening to podcasts across my devices with Windows 10 that I never had with WP8.1.

Ok so the 1020 is not getting Windows 10 Mobile.

I have stuck the preview on it and using it I can see why it will not be upgraded for the non insiders.

I will be using my 1020 for listening to music and podcasts.

seed dede

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

I am an L1020 user. Since the annoucement of Windows 10, I didn't join the Insider program and waited so long for the final build to come. When they finally said that my phone was unable to upgrade to windows 10, I was so angry that I myself test the Insider program to see what's the problem. So far, nothing happens. it was smooth like butter!! Maybe I am among the lucky user, but really, Microsoft shouldn't cut us loose like this! We are the one who decide which user experience we'd like to get!!

and being unsupported?

Div D

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

My 950 runs like a champ! You are saying childish things because you're mad bruhhhh

Sent from mTalk

You are having 950 with W10 but we are with lower phones and we are stuck with w8.1. We are disappointed, don't you guys?

Div D

Commented via Windows Central for Android

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

• Application Deployment doesn't start on current Windows 10 Insider build 14291 for PC.
  • App Deployment
Because someone asked, here's my own translation for a way to get redstone builds on unsupported phones like 920. I haven't tried it yet, because the current build has sync problems with the Band. But a friend of mine tried it on a Lumia 920 and he said it works like a charm. The german original article can be found here: Anleitung: Redstone-Builds auf alte Lumia-Smartphone installieren

Of course everything is at own risk!

For devices with Windows 10 Mobile:
Preparation:
  1. Download Windows Phone 8 SDK Lite
  2. Download Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Lite
  3. Download Registry Editor-App vcReg_1.5
  4. Download Registry Editor-App customPDF
  5. Install SDKs by running the .bat file
http://windowsarea.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Download.zip

Interop Unlock:
  1. On the phone go to settings - update & security - for developers and activate developer mode
  2. Start Application Deployment program (in folder Windows Phone 8.0 SDK in startmenu)
  3. Select and install vcReg_1.5.xap
  4. Start vcREG app on the phone and navigate in the three-dot-menu to templates
  5. Select Live Interop/Capability Unlock and Restore NDTKsvc and press Apply

Fool the Insider-app that the phone is a Lumia 950:
  1. Start Application Deployment of Windows Phone 8.1 SDK
  2. Install and start customPDF app
  3. navigate in the registry tree to HKLM - SYSTEM - PLATFORM - DeviceTargetingInfo
  4. Change PhoneManufacturer value to "MicrosoftMDG"
  5. PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1085_11302 for single sim devices
  6. PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1116_11258 for dual sim devices
  7. Change PhoneModelName to Lumia 950 XL
  8. Change PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1085 or RM-1116 respectively

Now you can start the insider app, register yourself in the fast ring and wait on the update, which should show up within seconds.

Under Windows Phone 8.1

The way for phones with Windows Phone 8.1 is a bit different, because you can't activate the developer mode in the settings, but only with a desktop program, which is part of the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK.

Preparation:
  1. Register with your Microsoft Account on AppStudio
  2. Download Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Lite (requires 64 bit Windows 8.1 / 10)
  3. Download "Preview for Developers"-app and move it to the SD-card
  4. Download the Windows Insider-App

Developer registration and installation of patch-tools:
  1. Download CustomWPSystem-Patch Tool
  2. Start the Developer Registration-Tool and unlock your phone with it
  3. Start the Application Deployment-Tool on your PC and connect your phone
  4. Browse your PC for the CustomWPSystem-app and click "Bereitstellen" (In english this would be "provide" or "prepare" or something like that)

Installation of registry editor:
  1. Download the XAP-file of the Registry Editor and copy it to your phone
  2. Start CustomWPSystem on your phone
  3. Select the root directory on the SD-card and click "Apply XAP"

Change the registry values:
  1. Start the modified Developer Preview app
  2. Navigate in the registry tree to HKLM - SYSTEM - PLATFORM - DeviceTargetingInfo
  3. Change PhoneManufacturer value to "MicrosoftMDG"
  4. PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1085_11302 for single sim devices
  5. PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1116_11258 for dual sim devices
  6. Change PhoneModelName to Lumia 950 XL
  7. Change PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1085 or RM-1116 respectively

Video:
Here is a video showing what to do, but it is in German as well. But you can see what to do, so it could be useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=tyOpsRZ3ADg

Problems I and others have encountered (Windows 10 Mobile way)
Application Deployment don't start
This problem occurs on current Insider build 14291 for PC. It works on RTM version 10586 and maybe older redstone builds than 14291.

Deployment of vcReg Error 0x89740006
The screen of the phone has to be unlocked during deployment. Just unlock your screen and it should work.

Deployment of customPDF Error 0x81030120
Something went wrong during Interop Unlock. Try restarting your phone and then start at step 4 of Interop unlock again (Start vcReg app on ....).

Problems I and others have encountered (Windows Phone 8.1 way)
Nothing yet

Last edited:

Vodyan

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site

Phones on WP7 is not updated to 8. Phones on WP8 not updated to W10. Phones at W10 never upgrade to the next version. Or do you still believe Microsoft ?!

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Phones on WP7 is not updated to 8. Phones on WP8 not updated to W10. Phones at W10 never upgrade to the next version. Or do you still believe Microsoft ?!

No? If no old phones got the update this be able to say that but alas that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo