Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

1020 was much more then just low light pictures. only one phone camera had it beat and it was a nokia.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Grow up, the world isn't fair, technology changes. People report that the experience sucks on those devices, then you'd complain about that.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mr-Changiz

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Well, I have my phone now for 3 years. and it's a very cheap one, lumia 520.
But my main issue is that, my phone does have problems. It restart sometimes or hangs and I need to soft reset it or remove the battery.
Now after using W10M for many months, I have to roll back to w 8.1? because of the bugs and no more support?
Not to mention all the feed backs I have provided till now!

Thanks for the heads up Microsoft. I was about to change my phone and get a 640 maybe. Now I know that today's decision will drop market share and I see no future for new app and games, etc.

Sheratan

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

Isn't Windows 10 is the latest Windows version, both dekstop and mobile?

There is no Windows 11. What MS do next is always update and update Windows 10

Pandaz3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Well, I hit the forums to complain as a 1020 owner, but on reading this thread, I decided to try the Insider way, it took a long while, but the phone is good with Win 10 on it now.

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site

For all of the people who are talking about switching to other platforms, have you ever looked into their OS upgrade cycle, especially for those with budget phones? Microsoft is FAR from perfect, but I can guarantee that for those with sub $150 phones, you have received way more support for you phone than you would have with an Android phone at the same price point and find me a new Apple phone that cheap? Android has a stricter OS/Security update cycle than Android and that's still dependent on the provider, if you didn't buy the phone unlocked. With Apple, with older devices, you get an "incomplete" upgrade lacking many of the features that the hardware can't support.

I wish Microsoft made a move to have a limited number of devices, so it could have better optimization and more streamline upgrades.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm a disappointed 1020 owner and a bit astounded that my spare ?35 Lumia 435 will get it, but not my ?550 1020. Whilst I accept that the 1020 is older hardware, I bought it for the camera and there hasn't been an adequate replacement. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram and go to another OS - I don't like Apple and I'm not a huge fan of Android, but I will wait and keep my eye on Nokia. I don't visit Windows Central often these days, I'm tired of it being W10 centric and now I know my daily driver won't get W10, it's further salt in the wound.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

For all of the people who are talking about switching to other platforms, have you ever looked into their OS upgrade cycle, especially for those with budget phones? Microsoft is FAR from perfect, but I can guarantee that for those with sub $150 phones, you have received way more support for you phone than you would have with an Android phone at the same price point and find me a new Apple phone that cheap? Android has a stricter OS/Security update cycle than Android and that's still dependent on the provider, if you didn't buy the phone unlocked. With Apple, with older devices, you get an "incomplete" upgrade lacking many of the features that the hardware can't support.

I wish Microsoft made a move to have a limited number of devices, so it could have better optimization and more streamline upgrades.

Yeah that's what they get in trying to keep everyone happy and then having to leave out some models from the OFFICIAL UPGRADE (they can still get the build as we all know, I've installed it on my mother's 920 and it's ok).

Next time they should tell "we'll try to get it on many models but old and/or cheap models may have problems", so people won't make so many expectations....

And well said about other OSes

Last edited:

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I'm a disappointed 1020 owner and a bit astounded that my spare ?35 Lumia 435 will get it, but not my ?550 1020. Whilst I accept that the 1020 is older hardware, I bought it for the camera and there hasn't been an adequate replacement. I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram and go to another OS - I don't like Apple and I'm not a huge fan of Android, but I will wait and keep my eye on Nokia. I don't visit Windows Central often these days, I'm tired of it being W10 centric and now I know my daily driver won't get W10, it's further salt in the wound.

I know that you are probably aware of this but all professional reviewers agree that the 950 camera is better than the 1020 in every single way except for crazy image cropping (and it's on par with S7 and LGs and better than iphones). Just saying :)

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

But other platforms never PROMISED and FAIL to deliver. Its good to be a ****** but please understand the situation too. Microsoft is a developing platform. Its only catching up to other platforms. Future app support would be to windows 10. So the unofficial phones would be permanently stuck in a preview version with bugs. And waht about all the hurdles that i had to go through for giving them feedback, those random reboots, app crashes, loading screens, huge download files.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I am not holding my breathe for the upgrade to W10 for my 1320.

I upgraded my 1320 daily phone since the first build of win 10, the experience spans from constant crash/hang to acceptable stability. Maybe i'm patient enough to try all things, and I can say it's good enough as of now, so give it a try.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I know that you are probably aware of this but all professional reviewers agree that the 950 camera is better than the 1020 in every single way except for crazy image cropping (and it's on par with S7 and LGs and better than iphones). Just saying :)

I wouldnt suggest windows mobile at this point seeing what happened to me twice with WP7.5 and now with windows phone 8.1.

Lies? Or just overly optimistic/ambitious. I don't think they realized how badly some of the x20 devices would run WM10. A better way to state it would be "We hope to make it available but need feedback on how devices perform." Still, that's not enough for some because that creates a crapstorm of "HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH WP7!1!!" So, they're in an unwinnable situation. Maybe after this time they'll get it right. Hey, at least half of the WP8 devices are upgradable to 10 vs zero WP7 devices moving to WP8. Now that was a fiasco. ;)

You are being overly optimistic, As an insider for more than an year people have all the rights to bash on microsoft. So all these times we were providing feedbacks to better the latest wave of windows phones while not qualifying for the update ourselves? What is the whole point of insider builts to remove bugs and better the os right? Now they are abandoning updates for the same reason. Thats some crap.

Well ZERO phones went from WP7 to WP8. None. Nada. Zip. At least half the WP8 users can upgrade. I'd rather upgrade to new hardware than bonk my phone with something that runs like crap and isn't supported. I'm due for an upgrade this year. The x20 series phones are aging. I personally see no issue with not supporting 2+ year old phones. Anyway, I'd rather save up for the surface phone, ya know, if it ever comes to fruition.

Its not about the age of the phone. Its about what we had to do to support micrsoft in a cause that would see into their goals of platform unification. Guess what for all the struggles they gave nothing in return.

Last edited by a moderator:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Please post some links to some of these "professional" reviews. PS, not ****** site reviews like wincentral....

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

When MS announced W10 for all WP8.1, I remember such fanboys backing up MS for providing W10 even to old devices and bashing up android saying it never support 3 year old devices. Now same people are saying MS is still good as other OSs do the same. What a fun. What they do not understand is google still updates basic apps even for old phones, google play apps still work and updated for old phones. May be slow but they work. For MS, they could not even sort out basic OS flaws since WP8 even after updating to WP8.1 Denim on many devices. Eg: absence of smart dialing. Now they have W10 to brag about which itself is mal-developed even after so many updates, are they going to fix WP8.1 Denim? Never. App developers are already turning away from WP. This will force them to go away forever. I am not upset because i am not getting W10. It's because now I am very sure that those features in WP8.1 I desperately wanted will never be available, apps will never get new features and updates.

truefluke

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

Well now, after all the commotion has happened with Microsoft's announcement that the 1020 won't be getting an official build of W10, I have been thinking. I have the camera grip for the 1020 + charging shell so I've been wondering when & if I get a new phone, I can just use the 1020 as my "point & shoot" camera and leave it in the grip full-time. Right now on Amazon, the grips are a steal. On a side note, I'm happy with keeping my 520 as my "iPod" player for when I'm in the gym, it's been GREAT for that. I'm going to wait a while and figure out my next move, keeping an eye on this site and W10 feedback, app situation, and so on. No need to move the earth just yet since everything is working fine on the 1020. My main concern are apps, mostly.

Govind Katkamwar

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site

Wp10 will not be available for Lumia 1020. I just found upgrade advisor app in the store which says "Your phone is not supported for the upgrade to windows 10." Hard luck for Lumia 1020. :(

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

When MS announced W10 for all WP8.1, I remember such fanboys backing up MS for providing W10 even to old devices and bashing up android saying it never support 3 year old devices. Now same people are saying MS is still good as other OSs do the same. What a fun. What they do not understand is google still updates basic apps even for old phones, google play apps still work and updated for old phones. May be slow but they work. For MS, they could not even sort out basic OS flaws since WP8 even after updating to WP8.1 Denim on many devices. Eg: absence of smart dialing. Now they have W10 to brag about which itself is mal-developed even after so many updates, are they going to fix WP8.1 Denim? Never. App developers are already turning away from WP. This will force them to go away forever. I am not upset because i am not getting W10. It's because now I am very sure that those features in WP8.1 I desperately wanted will never be available, apps will never get new features and updates.

How very right. If the Ad Duplex counting is correct and 50% is the number of the current WP devices that won't get windows 10 update, then the user base and marketshare will get a huge hit for MS.Not that they care much about this, concerning WP, but for the devs this will be something to think about. I also had a small free app for parking payments for multiple cities in my country and decided to close my dev account. I do not trust MS in their steps anymore, to invest time in making other apps or improving this one. On the other platforms I have a much larger user base and I can count on that the code and APIs won;t be changed every few years, thus making me rewrite my apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99