Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

But other platforms never PROMISED and FAIL to deliver. Its good to be a ****** but please understand the situation too. Microsoft is a developing platform. Its only catching up to other platforms. Future app support would be to windows 10. So the unofficial phones would be permanently stuck in a preview version with bugs. And waht about all the hurdles that i had to go through for giving them feedback, those random reboots, app crashes, loading screens, huge download files.

We were simply free beta testers for Microsoft, investing time and patience in testing their platform. I have said many months ago that MS will do it again, to ditch users with many older models, but no one believed me and every quote was like: " you're trolling about MS, you don;t have faith in them"..well :)) seems I was right. And the same thing will happen with the current list of older models when RedStone 2 comes, the same: "we could not make them work" reason. Well, in reality you cannot really blame the devs at MS, Nadella laid off so many that it is hard to maintain and optimize an entire OS with just a few people, and yes, I will say it again!, I do NOT believe that MS has more than 20 devs in the mobile OS team, which do both the developing and the testing, which is WRONG!! Every three devs should have one tester and every 3 testers should have one QA!

Yogesh Choudhari

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

I was windows fan..using lumia 1020 for 2 years..they finally give me reason to leave windows platform, atleast they should have given us good exchange offer. But who cares( from microsoft, they want to fail hard ;) ) 50% of lumia users dont get windows 10 means no new apps.. so bhaad me ja microsoft..i m leaving platform

i_Neel

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

is the latest build stable ?

Can I upgrade my 1320 to Win10 via insider ?

and if I want to revert to 8.1.02 if performance doesn't look good for me then how to revert ?

levy shikukui

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

yes boss but the biggest issues is the camera,for best result if you love your camera performance let the lumia 1020 remain ad end on windows 8.1.hand on experience.

i_Neel

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1320

Hello Friends,

It is very clear now that the Lumia 1320 devices are not getting official Win 10 update. This is very frustrating for most of the owners.
The only way to get the Win10 is the insider preview.

We should help each other to understand the pros and cons of Win10 Insider Preview on 1302.

If anyone of you has upgraded the to Win10 then please share

1. Your experience while upgrading ?
2. The Problems after upgrading to Win10 via Insider ?
3. Device Performance
4. Any noticeable impact to the daily use functionality

Any additional inputs are welcomed !

Also can some one tell if we upgrade to win10 via insider then how to revert it back to 8.1.02 Denim

Emanuel Manole

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1320

Hello Friends,

It is very clear now that the Lumia 1320 devices are not getting official Win 10 update. This is very frustrating for most of the owners.
The only way to get the Win10 is the insider preview.

We should help each other to understand the pros and cons of Win10 Insider Preview on 1302.

If anyone of you has upgraded the to Win10 then please share

3. Device Performance

Any additional inputs are welcomed !

Also can some one tell if we upgrade to win10 via insider then how to revert it back to 8.1.02 Denim

1.The upgrade longs like 1 to 2 hours and is smooth, no problem there . The phone is heating a little .
2.Problems I faced: freezing especially when i go back to the start after using an app(not all the time, 1 freeze in 2 days); battery isn't holding well, but it lasts a day with medium use and if you are one of those who charge ypur phone once a day, it will not be a problem for you ; heating, that is the most annoying thing, it heats sometime when just using the messaging app...
3.Performance is very good. The os is fluid , gaming too.
4.The only impact for me was that i had to charge my phone more often(i am charging my lumia 1320 with 8.1, once in 2 days with medium to high use).

You can try it. Give it a few days , the first days are bad , but then you will se a progress.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I was windows fan..using lumia 1020 for 2 years..they finally give me reason to leave windows platform, atleast they should have given us good exchange offer. But who cares( from microsoft, they want to fail hard ;) ) 50% of lumia users dont get windows 10 means no new apps.. so bhaad me ja microsoft..i m leaving platform

What I see these days (maybe this does not apply directly to you) is a lot of people with old phones that were going to the competition anyway and just needed a reason to justify themselves. I mean, if you really enjoyed and wanted to stay you would probably upgrade 3 years old models anyway (you don't keep a phone longer than 3 years on other platforms either) so what is happening clearly is:

-people fed up with windows using this excuse to leave the platform and upgrade their old phones to a new platform
-people still interested in windows using this excuse to upgrade their old phones to a new windows phone

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I used a 520 with last Release preview build till last week. I was pretty satisfied, but during intensive use I had more and more crashes (the last, I was talking to phone when copyin / pasting from Edge to Whatsapp a text...)
I'm insider in 520 since september, I liked it very much, but 512 MB became a iussue...
I was able to install and use WIn10 on a onl PentiumD desktop with 2 GB RAM, but too much slow for being usable... That's the same thing on a 512 MB Lumia

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I have been using my 520 for three years already and I can definitely say that I made a good buy. Not all budget phones have this privilege of being updated to the latest software version. If MS wouldn't really release W10 officially for my phone, then so be it. There are insider builds, after all. And besides my phone is the lowest spec'd Lumia so this is somewhat expected from the beginning already.

(but i am thinking of going to ios or android after this. not because ms broke his promise in giving w10 to 520, but bec i really need some quality apps in my life right now lol)

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I don't get the hate for MS in this thread. Should we all just be happy that our phones were supported for 2-3 years? Not all phones have this privilege of being updated consistently. I think we should just move on and buy a new phone...

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site

And what new phone would that be? if one is on Verizon and no! Why would anyone want to buy a already year old 735

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

What I see these days (maybe this does not apply directly to you) is a lot of people with old phones that were going to the competition anyway and just needed a reason to justify themselves. I mean, if you really enjoyed and wanted to stay you would probably upgrade 3 years old models anyway (you don't keep a phone longer than 3 years on other platforms either) so what is happening clearly is:
-people fed up with windows using this excuse to leave the platform and upgrade their old phones to a new platform
-people still interested in windows using this excuse to upgrade their old phones to a new windows phone
Those of us who have the Lumia 1020 have stuck with it for a reason: until the 950 came out, there was absolutely no "upgrade" that wasn't a step backwards in terms of photography. Even with the 950 there is the sneaking suspicion (for someone who owns a 1020) that they would be taking a step down in at least some areas: Xenon flash, zoom, large sensor, camera grip availability. It hurts to feel you're going backwards and are paying for the privilege when the gains are not compelling. Head over to allaboutwindowsphone and have a look at the head-to-heads, and you'll see that in many areas that photographers really care about, the 1020 is clearly still superior: landscape, natural detail, zoom, flash-photography. It is inferior with macro shots, focusing in low light, and colour correction in artificial light.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Those of us who have the Lumia 1020 have stuck with it for a reason: until the 950 came out, there was absolutely no "upgrade" that wasn't a step backwards in terms of photography. Even with the 950 there is the sneaking suspicion (for someone who owns a 1020) that they would be taking a step down in at least some areas: Xenon flash, zoom, large sensor, camera grip availability. It hurts to feel you're going backwards and are paying for the privilege when the gains are not compelling. Head over to allaboutwindowsphone and have a look at the head-to-heads, and you'll see that in many areas that photographers really care about, the 1020 is clearly still superior: landscape, natural detail, zoom, flash-photography. It is inferior with macro shots, focusing in low light, and colour correction in artificial light.

This is an article that I read sometime ago, while not beating the 1020 in each and every area it looks to me it is an overall great upgrade for anyone on a 1020 wanting windows10:

Camera head to head: Lumia 950 vs the older 930 and 1020

I'm not an expert, but the article looks well written.

I'm enjoying my 950 camera but I really don't know if it's actually better than 1020 (overall) like the reviewers say, but I think we should all agree that is a great option for everyone willing to upgrade. What I'm saying is, your 1020 was nearing end of its life with or without the w10 upgrade, and if you want to keep it after its EOL just for its photos capabilities you can still take great photos with 8.1 . I mean, as a phone you needed to upgrade it to something else anyway shortly, as a camera it is still very good but it doesn't need 10 to be a camera.

shahidkazi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1320

Upgrade was smooth.
If its stuck at the wheels for too long, just remove you memory and it will start in a few minutes. You can reinsert it after it restarts.
If its stuck at migrating data just do a hard reboot (vol down + power) and when it restarts it will complete in a few minutes.
It will update a huge bunch of applications after starting up

3. Device Performance
I did find the Fast Ring build as bad, the slow was better but still had some issues. The preview build worked fine for me except some nags
1. Occasional Freeze (heavy use .. if you switch between apps a lot .. i do :) - needs hard boot)
2. Some Lags in Edge if the site is heavy
3. Photos App is slow
4. Battery life is at-least 30% lower (still better than iPhone and a huge majority of Android battery suckers)

On the bright side
1. The UI is much refined and crisp
2. The settings section is excellent
3. The apps are much prettier (in some cases better than Android and iOS)
4. All my data, settings and apps were retained

If you can live with the above issues, then you are sorted out

You can using the Windows Device Recovery Tool. After you recover go to phone update and install updated if any (mostly you will have an update for Lumia Denim). In this case, you will lose all apps and settings (data on SD card is retained - remove it during restore if you are finicky and add it again after the restore.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

So is it better to try and fail rather than to not try? This is the crux of the matter

That MS tried to develop W10M for most phones but were unable with the time and resources available.

They could have not tried at all and where would we be? Without having tested W10M at all for our devices

For one, I am more than happy to have tested out W10M on my lumia 1020 and I am happy to continue testing and using as long as the phone still works. I got the chance to be involved in something big, something that has helped MS move forward, something that new users of W10M on the new phones can appreciate because of what my feedback did

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

here's a story from my country, Kenya.

In 2013 when the elections were happening, the current president promised that all standard one pupils in public primary schools would receive laptops by the end of the year.

3years later so far only a few dozen schools have received laptops as part of a testing program to see how they function and what is the best way forward.

Are people angry that their kids haven't got laptops yet? Yes, they are. Are they patient? Mostly yes. I've not seen any parent complaining that the government promised to give laptops and have failed to do so so far and hence they will take their kids to private schools.

Whether promises were given or not, whether plans were made or not, the fact is that the upgrade experience can be challenging and we still have options within the MS experience to continue forward.

Insider program is available. For a few months we still get to experience W10M. Redstone hasn't been released for the older phones and my expectation is it won't be for a couple of months. Add a few more months and I'm seeing W10M being available for our phones on insider until end of 2016

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Im very welcome if ms still develop w10m for 512 device. Ill try and feedback. If not its ok, i still waiting windows phone 8.1 improvement. If not, whatever ms done, i still happy. Thanks

koken_halliwell

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

What are you feeling about the list of W10M official update, guys?

I don't own any of those phones (I have a 640 XL LTE & 535) but I think Lumia 520 users and similar antique lowperformance phones should be realist and buy a newer phone with W10M. On the other hand, 1020 users (and similar) could try to make a polite and organised petition to get w10 for their phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs