Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Look at Apple. Their users buy new stuff all the time. Their sales always surpass previous sales because the user base is willing to move with technology and use their money to do it.

The thing is, you can take iPhone 5 as an example. It came to the market a bit earlier than the first gen WP8 devices (late 2012). It came with iOS6 and all the way to present day (2016) it was covered by the newest version of OS. It also received big updates every year with small patches during each year, new feature and fine-tuning are throwing into these devices(Airdrop in iOS7, widget in iOS8, always listening siri under power plugged-in in iOS9). The UX are slowly but surely improved. The stable API provide stable APP support even you stay in a rather old OS version.

The evolution in WP8 in rather slow, most of the things are function patching and hotfix. Then switching to UWP are killing the already small app ecosystem. Not to mention they are not delivering what they promised, most of us asking for update support are just don't want to be cut loose like wp7.5 days, for me if MSFT release a patch for WP8.1 adapting UWP I'll happily take it and use my phone till I want to change it.

That's the point I cared of.

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

If they keep doing same mistakes again and again, i guess only MS will be left in their own battleground to battle with themselves while the world has already moved on. There were already less users hence less developers and hence less OEMs. Now MS has shooed away over half of the users and want more developers and OEMs to come? Redstone may be greater than great but if there is no one left, what MS gona do. If most users have lost faith and world has watched the whole flop show, how many will be intersted in WP in near future? And one more thing, by the time redstone arrives (ofcourse as finished, polished product), where will the android and iOS be? MS will be struggling to get wide user base with few developers and OEMs while android and iOS will be at such a different level. Also if redstone is again different that W10 codes, no developer will be interested to change their app one more time.

There were less OEM's because Nokia took the biggest piece of the cake.
That is the reason why MS decided to manufacture less phones theirselfes, by doing so they create more room for OEM's.
Redstone is not more than new features being added, so Redstone will not break W10 UWP apps at all! Redstone is not a new OS as there was had WP7 -> WP8!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

The thing is, you can take iPhone 5 as an example. It came to the market a bit earlier than the first gen WP8 devices (late 2012). It came with iOS6 and all the way to present day (2016) it was covered by the newest version of OS. It also received big updates every year with small patches during each year, new feature and fine-tuning are throwing into these devices(Airdrop in iOS7, widget in iOS8, always listening siri under power plugged-in in iOS9). The UX are slowly but surely improved. The stable API provide stable APP support even you stay in a rather old OS version.

The evolution in WP8 in rather slow, most of the things are function patching and hotfix. Then switching to UWP are killing the already small app ecosystem. Not to mention they are not delivering what they promised, most of us asking for update support are just don't want to be cut loose like wp7.5 days, for me if MSFT release a patch for WP8.1 adapting UWP I'll happily take it and use my phone till I want to change it.

That's the point I cared of.

As someone who has Apple products as well. IOS may get updated but performance takes a huge hit as a result. And you can't compare Apple who controls the hardware and software and has built in support from the start. W10M was just trying to build in support. So they are starting from scratch while Apple is just enhancing. And apple hardware is always top of the line as well. So even older Iphone 5 has great hardware still. While Nokia created all these budget phones that are severely under spec'd.

But anyone would tell you that if something is being built for the future, the future will always take priority. The current hardware and upcoming hardware. You can't release new phones like the lumia 950/xl and then put so much effort into other phones that are old. You need to put more effort for the new stuff.

I get the people feeling left out. I am, however, trying to view this from a business perspective and impact on the future of the business.

What would have been the best thing MS could have done? Not support all that hardware from the START. and explain to people that this is being built for newer phones. Only these models will be supported. Don't even try with the others. Focus on your new flagships 950/950xl and release those in an extremely optimized manner. And then maybe reviews wouldn't have been so bad. Then after releasing the 950/950xl start focusing on the other hardware you want to update. I feel there was disorganization no doubt.

They did provide unnecessary hope. And the best thing to do is a Trade-in program. Honestly, even if they give discounts the loss for them would be recouped with more device sales. As well as keeping people on windows 10 platform. It's a no brainer.

ADJETEY

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site

oh!!! Microsoft why? please allow 1the 1320
oh!!! Microsoft why? please allow the 1320!!!!
oh!!! Microsoft why? please allow the 1320!!!!oh!!!
oh!!! Microsoft why? please allow the 1320!!!!

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

As someone who has Apple products as well. IOS may get updated but performance takes a huge hit as a result. And you can't compare Apple who controls the hardware and software and has built in support from the start. W10M was just trying to build in support. So they are starting from scratch while Apple is just enhancing. And apple hardware is always top of the line as well. So even older Iphone 5 has great hardware still. While Nokia created all these budget phones that are severely under spec'd.

Another thing to point out is that while the older phones are getting updates they are not getting the full updates. The older phones actually get a watered down version of the new OS that leaves out any of the features their older phones can't handle. To relate it to WP, their older iPhone got 7.8 but apple called it 8.0. Its a trick that makes people with the older phones think they have the latest and greatest but in reality they are just getting a partial update with the full name.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not hugely bothered by the fact that my 3 year old 925 won't get an official update, more that we were led to believe we would get it until the official update dropped and we were excluded.

I understand the reasons for this, but (IMO) it would have been better to allow x2x users to upgrade at their own risk, with the caveat that although they get an official update to 10586.164, they won't get anything beyond that. Allows users to make the choice, as we have seen wildly varying performance on some devices.

I know we kind of did get that, as we can carry on with the insider builds that we have, but it's not official so non-insiders won't get it

UrhoRtl

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site

Well, I hit the forums to complain as a 1020 owner, but on reading this thread, I decided to try the Insider way, it took a long while, but the phone is good with Win 10 on it now.

Hi Pandaz!
But how your Camera? How it's working? No problem with blur imags?

WPhoner

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

This may be the final straw that pushes me over the edge to Android.

Really guys?! were talking about 3+ yr old tech here. I know people that upgrade their Apple devices yearly.. not to mention, Apple will FORCE you to upgrade every TWO years by blocking their newest OS on older phones. Android and apple keep their "good name" by only supporting the latest hardware. I agree with MS following suit. That said, I also agree that WM needs to get its SOFTWARE on track, work flawlessly, align the user experience (UX) so people feel confident owning a windows phone. Building a solid brand will give them a "good name" with their users.

WM is showing some refreshing innovations which apple has been copying for awhile now (EG: linking accounts was from WM7, long press actions, living images) the list goes on.. I think just yesterday they announced a (new) ipad that cant even compare to a surface 3! THAT puppy cost $200 MORE than the surface 3, the pen costs more, the keyboard ..more! People will act like its the second coming and line up in droves for it as ushe. theres your "old tech" right there.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Any news for another update for insider preview with old not official suport windows phone 8.1(920, 820, 1020, 925, 1320...)

There's maybe coming 10586.200 next month

About the death of Insider program, I guess we'll know something about during Redstone release on Preview ring... Maybe summer.
SOmeone twitts Gabe!

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Craig L920

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

what happened to the firmware update for older windows phone 8.1 devices to run Windows 10 mobile? Windows 10 Mobile runs great on my lumia 920 it was great flag ship phone and still a good phone. I think Microsoft should release it to x20 devices as an option to download official windows phone 10 update.

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Bad timing by MS. Carriers are dropping phone subsidies, so people will hang on to their WM 8.1 phones for a long time (my 928 is perfect) , developers will now have essentially 1/2 the already small user base for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb