Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniem

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I fully understand and appreciate the decision not to update devices with 512 MB RAM only. They tried and it failed. From the experience with my mother's Lumia 520 with Win10 Insider (when they were available for that device) was simply a horrendous. Lags, reboots, freezes and at the end even no way back to 8.1 as the device recovery tool stopped working on my laptop with the latest Windows 10 Insider builds (latest update hasn't fixed that). So atm she's stuck with a nearly unusable phone and is keen to switch to an iPhone. Yes, this is a true story. As she's not happy at all with the user experience and sees how I use my iPhone she wants to do the move.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I fully understand and appreciate the decision not to update devices with 512 MB RAM only. They tried and it failed. From the experience with my mother's Lumia 520 with Win10 Insider (when they were available for that device) was simply a horrendous. Lags, reboots, freezes and at the end even no way back to 8.1 as the device recovery tool stopped working on my laptop with the latest Windows 10 Insider builds (latest update hasn't fixed that). So atm she's stuck with a nearly unusable phone and is keen to switch to an iPhone. Yes, this is a true story. As she's not happy at all with the user experience and sees how I use my iPhone she wants to do the move.

Wait, you got Insider Previews on Laptop too and WDRT has broken? even uninstalling it?

gouboy

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
People, please stop this MS is better than Apple or MS is better than google when ot comes tu upgrade. I dont really care, cause I have a Lumia, not an iphone or a nexus. I want an upgrade for my L820, not an iphone or nexus that I dont own.

sniem

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, had the 3.1.6 and it didn't work with Windows 10 x64 14291 nor the previous Win10 builds. The latest WDRT 3.2.29 is no help, still the same error at launch (uninstall, install, repair installs of WDRT, Windows reboots, no matter what i tried and I don't want to remove the laptop's Insider build because it takes so long.):

Error message (German):
Bei der Komposition ist ein Kompositionsfehler aufgetreten. Die Ursache wird unten angegeben. Die CompositionException.Errors-Eigenschaft liefert genauere Informationen.

1) Unbekanntes ModifierKeys-Element "STRG".

Ergebnis: Durch den Aufruf des Konstruktors f?r Typ "System.Windows.Controls.TextBox", der den angegebenen Bindungseinschr?nkungen entspricht, wurde eine Ausnahme ausgel?st.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, had the 3.1.6 and it didn't work with Windows 10 x64 14291 nor the previous Win10 builds. The latest WDRT 3.2.29 is no help, still the same error at launch (uninstall, install, repair installs of WDRT, Windows reboots, no matter what i tried and I don't want to remove the laptop's Insider build because it takes so long.):

Error message (German):
Bei der Komposition ist ein Kompositionsfehler aufgetreten. Die Ursache wird unten angegeben. Die CompositionException.Errors-Eigenschaft liefert genauere Informationen.

1) Unbekanntes ModifierKeys-Element "STRG".

Ergebnis: Durch den Aufruf des Konstruktors f?r Typ "System.Windows.Controls.TextBox", der den angegebenen Bindungseinschr?nkungen entspricht, wurde eine Ausnahme ausgel?st.

I guess you can use WDRT only on a released W10, it seems script touched an insider-modified dll

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Well said! Very reasonable and rational thought and feeling. I have hope again for the human race. For awhile there I thought nothing mattered to anyone but not getting win10 and their cells were the only thing worth living for.
But they had this very same option with wp8 dont u think MS is a bit directionless when it comes to mobile devices.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

Really guys?! were talking about 3+ yr old tech here. I know people that upgrade their Apple devices yearly.. not to mention, Apple will FORCE you to upgrade every TWO years by blocking their newest OS on older phones. Android and apple keep their "good name" by only supporting the latest hardware. I agree with MS following suit. That said, I also agree that WM needs to get its SOFTWARE on track, work flawlessly, align the user experience (UX) so people feel confident owning a windows phone. Building a solid brand will give them a "good name" with their users.

WM is showing some refreshing innovations which apple has been copying for awhile now (EG: linking accounts was from WM7, long press actions, living images) the list goes on.. I think just yesterday they announced a (new) ipad that cant even compare to a surface 3! THAT puppy cost $200 MORE than the surface 3, the pen costs more, the keyboard ..more! People will act like its the second coming and line up in droves for it as ushe. theres your "old tech" right there.

Even without updates other ecosystem provides app updates , its not good being leftout. Its like a real bad deja vu .

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Even without updates other ecosystem provides app updates , its not good being leftout. Its like a real bad deja vu .

I agree, my 830 (the one I use the most) appears to be seeing the minimalist of app updates in the past three months, wouldn't be half bad if these apps were somewhat feature-rich compared to their counterparts but many are not, some pale in comparison.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Not for all updates... E.g. Whatsapp and Skype doesn't work anymore on previous than Android 4.2 (I was adviced by some friends of mine, I apologize if we are in mistake)

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

Not for all updates... E.g. Whatsapp and Skype doesn't work anymore on previous than Android 4.2 (I was adviced by some friends of mine, I apologize if we are in mistake)

Im not sure about that, but I kinda doubt that there are no workarounds. Its android right. But with windows if plan A fails there is never gonna be a plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss