Update advisor: We are working with your mobile operator.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be another month or two or four or never until you get it.
Microsoft just f**** us big time.

The carrier has to allow this update. How can you blame MS for something that is out of their control? Its sort of like blaming any manufacturer who actually makes something that is actually available elsewhere, but you cant buy one because your local store refuses to carry the item.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
The carrier has to allow this update. How can you blame MS for something that is out of their control? Its sort of like blaming any manufacturer who actually makes something that is actually available elsewhere, but you cant buy one because your local store refuses to carry the item.

Unfortunately with this release, rational seems to have went out the door.

Bunnikins

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Understand what you're saying, but several of us on this thread have stayed that we have unbranded, factory unlocked devices.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I updated through the insider app release preview ring which updated me to build 10586.107 I switched to the production ring after the update. Went to settings>phone update and searched for an update which then told me of a pending update to 10586.164

Posted via the Windows Central App for Lagdroid. I kid I kid :D

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on tmobile with 640. Should I do that? I does this interfere with me getting any firmware??

My real question is is there any difference
You'll get new firmware once it's available.
Currently there is no updated firmware for W10M.

For the software part you are completely safe to install one available to Insiders. To stop receiving insider builds switch to Production ring in the Insider app.

lpj_640

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Tweeted my network operator to see if they had any info on release dates (assuming they were testing it). They said they have no information yet and I should contact Microsoft to find out when it is being made available?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
1. MS said that if it doesn't involve fw update they will push it directly. -> Ups, apparently that is not so true. W10M is only software, besides the phones that shipped with W10 not a single other phone receive a fw upgrade for W10M compatibility. Now they show up this message? for what? Yea, you keep defending them.
2. This is a deja vu for me, like it was for Denim on some phones. They mentioned it will be soon, should I list you the stories of phones that got Denim after half a year or even a year? Why do I feel this seems to happen again? "working with your operator" bla bla yada yada, months passes nothing happens.
3. Research before you comment. Ez.
4. Some people don't seem to understand that carriers don't want you to upgrade because they can easily sell other phones. Not to mention they have to support new complaints if you upgrade to a new OS and your phone has glitches (which W10M isn't shy on bringing).

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile hasn't officially been deployed yet on Australia & New Zealand, no one seems to care about it because of windows insider but I wonder why it is not yet being rolled out by Microsoft.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Understand what you're saying, but several of us on this thread have stayed that we have unbranded, factory unlocked devices.

I understand what you're saying as well. But worldwide, there are a lot of carriers and I don't know every carriers rules well enough to know that MS is intentionally screwing anyone. It makes more sense to me that MS would want happy customers. it makes no sense to me whatsoever that MS took a handful of people with a handful of devices on a few carriers and said 'hey, lets give Win 10 for phone to everyone but these people'. That just seems a bit paranoid to me. If MS says they are working with the carrier it seems much more sensible that they are working with the carrier. Anyone who thinks that MS actually made an effort to single out people to delay an otherwise deliverable update may have a bit of a self importance complex (in my opinion of course.)

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
1. MS said that if it doesn't involve fw update they will push it directly. -> Ups, apparently that is not so true. W10M is only software, besides the phones that shipped with W10 not a single other phone receive a fw upgrade for W10M compatibility. Now they show up this message? for what? Yea, you keep defending them.
2. This is a deja vu for me, like it was for Denim on some phones. They mentioned it will be soon, should I list you the stories of phones that got Denim after half a year or even a year? Why do I feel this seems to happen again? "working with your operator" bla bla yada yada, months passes nothing happens.
3. Research before you comment. Ez.
4. Some people don't seem to understand that carriers don't want you to upgrade because they can easily sell other phones. Not to mention they have to support new complaints if you upgrade to a new OS and your phone has glitches (which W10M isn't shy on bringing).

So, you would apparently have me believe that MS can update the phones of those who got the "working with your carrier' message" and are just not doing it because they want you to not have the update? You need to read the post I just posted which is just above this one

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
So, you would apparently have me believe that MS can update the phones of those who got the "working with your carrier' message" and are just not doing it because they want you to not have the update? You need to read the post I just posted which is just above this one

Ah...and no! You are wrong again, please read MS statement, they said they will offer W10 update by-passing the carriers. Do you know what that means? It's only software update, not firmware. Do you know the difference between these two and what a fw implies? Then the carrier can interfere if there is a fw else for software is just lies because carriers don't want to commit to support an OS that is new and brings issues. They do this even with android.

Bunnikins

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you're saying as well. But worldwide, there are a lot of carriers and I don't know every carriers rules well enough to know that MS is intentionally screwing anyone. It makes more sense to me that MS would want happy customers. it makes no sense to me whatsoever that MS took a handful of people with a handful of devices on a few carriers and said 'hey, lets give Win 10 for phone to everyone but these people'. That just seems a bit paranoid to me. If MS says they are working with the carrier it seems much more sensible that they are working with the carrier. Anyone who thinks that MS actually made an effort to single out people to delay an otherwise deliverable update may have a bit of a self importance complex (in my opinion of course.)

This really doesn't wash. I've owned any number of factory-unlocked Android phones (Samsung, LG, Nexus (Huawei)), purchased direct and not from the carrier here in the UK. I've been on multiple different carriers over this time. I have yet to have a phone which is purchased factory unlocked (i.e. not through a carrier) which has not been able to update when fatory-unlocked firmware updates have been made available. Only when I've bought phones from the carrier, running carrier-branded firmware, has the carrier had any say in when an update gets pushed down in this case.

More interestingly, I initially didn't have a sim installed and it still said it was waiting for my carrier!

Its fine that MS are phasing roll-out, but it is disingenuous to blame carriers for blocking updates to an unbranded, factory unlocked, direct purchased phone.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
instead of complaining about how MS is lying to you because you think MS can just bypass the carriers, perhaps you should be complaining that MS made a statement that only applied to 90% of the carriers and forgot to mention that some people would have to wait for carrier approval. Thinking that MS is intentionally holding back an update for no reason other than to screw you or anyone else is just dumb

Bunnikins

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow. So far I have been described as having a self-importance complex and dumb. I should point out that I am neither.

I do not believe that MS is 'singling out people'. I do not believe that MS is 'intentionally holding back an update for no reason other than to screw you or anyone'.

I believe that MS is attempting to phase a roll-out. I base this on the fact that several of us with unlocked, unbranded, direct purchased, carrier-agnostic phones are not receiving the update.

I am unsure what the situation is in the US, or indeed whether you are from the US, but stated simply, within the EU we are able to purchase phones that are direct from manufacturer and are built to work on any EU carrier simply by adding/changing a SIM card for the carrier of your choice. In the case of Android (and IOS), when the manufacturer releases an OS or firmware update for such unbranded phone, that update comes direct from manufacturer when the manufacturer chooses to make it available, and is available regardless of carrier (or even if you don't put a sim in and update via wifi). This is fundamentally different from carrier-branded phones where the carrier controls the update process.

My Lumia 640 was bought from Currys Digital and is not tied to a carrier. But I was still unable to update. This is fine, I am happy to wait. Actually, I wasn't and went the insider --> production route, but that's by the by. The fact of the matter is that this is an unbranded, factory unlocked, carrier-agnostic straight from manufacturer EU Lumia 640. If it were an Android or an iPhone the update would in the EU have been available when the manufacturer chose to make the update available.

So either a) MS has some kind of weird relationship with EU carriers that requires it to seek permission to provide unbranded phones with updates that other manufacturers don't have or b) MS is holding back updates. Not to **** me or other affected people off, not to screw us, I'm prepared to accept there's a good reason for it, but it is not, in the case of unbranded EU Lumias, anything to do with requiring carrier approval.

You are welcome to accept that or not as the case may be, but it would be best to refrain from resorting to unjustified insults.

David-Harrison

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
"We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available for y

I - in the UK - have a carrier-unlocked *Microsoft* Lumia 640, so who are they "working with" to make the Windows 10 upgrade available?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 38722.jpg
    38722.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 58

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: "We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available f

I've got the same problem. I just went back to Insider Preview build .164.... Same thing. Fed up of waiting for the -official build. Either it is released or it isn't.... Make up your mind MS!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb