Update advisor: We are working with your mobile operator.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: "We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available f

I - in the UK - have a carrier-unlocked *Microsoft* Lumia 640, so who are they "working with" to make the Windows 10 upgrade available?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

many users have reported this issue. what worked for them was hard reset> multiple check of upgrade availability on upgrade advisor . :)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but, in another forum, Blu customer support responded that their international variant of the Win Blu HD LTE was being held back from the upgrade temporarily b/c of stability issues and that they were working with MS to fix them before releasing the upgrade. Its possible that there are some language & localization bugs that need to be ironed out first...just a thought.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: "We are working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available f

Lets face it, this is another way for microsoft to delay W10. They said we would not get it on our 820 and 925 so we bought (me and my wife) two 640's now we get this. I went into a Cricket store yesterday and bought me a Alcatel Idol 3 and a Moto G for my wife. We will keep the two 640's as backup; but I will never rely on a Windows phone as my main phone. Congradulations Microsoft you have succeded in driving away another (used to be loyal) customer. I am just plain fed up with the constant delays and BS that you have to put up wtith to use a Windows phone. Its not worth it.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

many users have reported this issue. what worked for them was hard reset> multiple check of upgrade availability on upgrade advisor . :)

Already did that... And more than multiple checks (veteran WP user and developer)... In the end went Insider .164. Same build, so official IMHO!!!!

jamssx

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For those with a 640, the 640 is awaiting carrier certification of a firmware change related IMS registration over wifi. Although the problem really only impacts T-Mobile and EE the change impacts VoLTE and therefore has to go to the carriers for certification. The carriers have had this fix since early Feb according to the thread over at MS, but the fix hasn't even been pushed to the insiders yet so don't hold your breath.

Darkmiss

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

I - in the UK - have a carrier-unlocked *Microsoft* Lumia 640, so who are they "working with" to make the Windows 10 upgrade available?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Same here... UK Lumia 640 bought from the Microsoft store, unlocked country variant, and still waiting for an update to windows 10
what is the hold-up ?

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow. So far I have been described as having a self-importance complex and dumb. I should point out that I am neither.

I do not believe that MS is 'singling out people'. I do not believe that MS is 'intentionally holding back an update for no reason other than to screw you or anyone'.

I believe that MS is attempting to phase a roll-out. I base this on the fact that several of us with unlocked, unbranded, direct purchased, carrier-agnostic phones are not receiving the update.

I really hope you are referring to my post so I can correct you. each time I made a statement it had a condition attached. ie, if you think a certain way then... But you clearly state in your post that you don't think MS is singling anyone out or holding back an update for no other reason to screw you or anyone else. So, logically, since you don't think that way, the comments don't apply to you. you just need to read a bit more closely and then there would be no reason to assume that someone is describing you at all. If you read back, my initial comments were not even about anything you said, but a comment from someone who said MS just screwed everyone big time. The only reason you entered the mix was because you quoted my comment on the other comment. the topic was whether or not MS had just "f**** everyone big time" so all my comments were related to that topic. So go back and read what I wrote with the condition attached. I still think they are valid comments. But since we have determined they don't apply to you there is no need for you to feel insulted at al.

Now, if you'd like to discuss if MS is doing a phased rollout... well that's a totally different topic. Are they? It would seem that they are, to some extent. Are they doing it because they want to? I would think its more because they have to. Once again, using logic, if the update was ready for all devices it would not make sense to hold back some of those updates. So it's pretty easy to conclude that the updates are not ready for certain devices. Will they ever be ready? I would hope so but who knows? I guess time will tell.

anon(8217400)

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an unbranded Lumia 640 and the Update Advisor only gave me a firmware update and now when I run it says working with carrier blah blah. Did anyone else get this firmware update?
Screenshot (164).png

Thekingsteven

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Same as u guys ... I have a Lumia 640 att branded but unlocked being used on my T-Mobile account... I'm not sure who I'm getting The update from T-Mobile. Or att...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have an unbranded Lumia 640 and the Update Advisor only gave me a firmware update and now when I run it says working with carrier blah blah. Did anyone else get this firmware update?
View attachment 124174
I did on the Argentina country variant ROM running on my AT&T unlocked Lumia 640. After the update I downloaded the upgrade advisor app and downloaded 107 followed by 164.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Same as u guys ... I have a Lumia 640 att branded but unlocked being used on my T-Mobile account... I'm not sure who I'm getting The update from T-Mobile. Or att...
If it's AT&T Branded, then you'll get the update from AT&T. It's their firmware, and they have to give Microsoft permission for OS updates, at least until Windows 10 Mobile is on there. Then you can do it without their interference.

Unlocked only means you can use it on any carrier. However, you would have to "de-brand" it in order to get updates directly from Microsoft before getting Windows 10.

I would recommend that you install the Windows Insider app and upgrade to 10 that way. Then open the Insider app again and switch it to "Production Ring" which will remove you from getting future insider updates. You will from that point forward get normal Windows 10 Mobile updates, just as if you'd gotten the official update.

JosephOK

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Update to 14291 now working!
I have a dual SIM 640 XL that unlocked on cricket that is finally receiving this update. Does not matter much though, I got fed up with waiting and got an iphone6 plus. I miss windows phone but not Microsoft.

Thekingsteven

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
If it's AT&T Branded, then you'll get the update from AT&T. It's their firmware, and they have to give Microsoft permission for OS updates, at least until Windows 10 Mobile is on there. Then you can do it without their interference.

Unlocked only means you can use it on any carrier. However, you would have to "de-brand" it in order to get updates directly from Microsoft before getting Windows 10.

I would recommend that you install the Windows Insider app and upgrade to 10 that way. Then open the Insider app again and switch it to "Production Ring" which will remove you from getting future insider updates. You will from that point forward get normal Windows 10 Mobile updates, just as if you'd gotten the official update.
is there a way to remove the att firmware? Like if I upgrade then Revert back to win 8.1?

Jacja

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Bunnikins
Wow. So far I have been described as having a self-importance complex and dumb. I should point out that I am neither.

I do not believe that MS is 'singling out people'. I do not believe that MS is 'intentionally holding back an update for no reason other than to screw you or anyone'.

I believe that MS is attempting to phase a roll-out. I base this on the fact that several of us with unlocked, unbranded, direct purchased, carrier-agnostic phones are not receiving the update.

I am unsure what the situation is in the US, or indeed whether you are from the US, but stated simply, within the EU we are able to purchase phones that are direct from manufacturer and are built to work on any EU carrier simply by adding/changing a SIM card for the carrier of your choice. In the case of Android (and IOS), when the manufacturer releases an OS or firmware update for such unbranded phone, that update comes direct from manufacturer when the manufacturer chooses to make it available, and is available regardless of carrier (or even if you don't put a sim in and update via wifi). This is fundamentally different from carrier-branded phones where the carrier controls the update process.

My Lumia 640 was bought from Currys Digital and is not tied to a carrier. But I was still unable to update. This is fine, I am happy to wait. Actually, I wasn't and went the insider --> production route, but that's by the by. The fact of the matter is that this is an unbranded, factory unlocked, carrier-agnostic straight from manufacturer EU Lumia 640. If it were an Android or an iPhone the update would in the EU have been available when the manufacturer chose to make the update available.

So either a) MS has some kind of weird relationship with EU carriers that requires it to seek permission to provide unbranded phones with updates that other manufacturers don't have or b) MS is holding back updates. Not to **** me or other affected people off, not to screw us, I'm prepared to accept there's a good reason for it, but it is not, in the case of unbranded EU Lumias, anything to do with requiring carrier approval.

You are welcome to accept that or not as the case may be, but it would be best to refrain from resorting to unjustified insults.

Jacja

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with you, must be a phased roll out.

I have L640 CV, direct from Microsoft UK. I have a Tesco SIM only contract. Phone is completely unlocked.

Will just have to wait and see when W10M finally arrives.

Originally posted by Bunnikins

I am unsure what the situation is in the US, or indeed whether you are from the US, but stated simply, within the EU we are able to purchase phones that are direct from manufacturer and are built to work on any EU carrier simply by adding/changing a SIM card for the carrier of your choice. In the case of Android (and IOS), when the manufacturer releases an OS or firmware update for such unbranded phone, that update comes direct from manufacturer when the manufacturer chooses to make it available, and is available regardless of carrier (or even if you don't put a sim in and update via wifi). This is fundamentally different from carrier-branded phones where the carrier controls the update process.

My Lumia 640 was bought from Currys Digital and is not tied to a carrier. But I was still unable to update. This is fine, I am happy to wait. Actually, I wasn't and went the insider --> production route, but that's by the by. The fact of the matter is that this is an unbranded, factory unlocked, carrier-agnostic straight from manufacturer EU Lumia 640. If it were an Android or an iPhone the update would in the EU have been available when the manufacturer chose to make the update available.

So either a) MS has some kind of weird relationship with EU carriers that requires it to seek permission to provide unbranded phones with updates that other manufacturers don't have or b) MS is holding back updates. Not to **** me or other affected people off, not to screw us, I'm prepared to accept there's a good reason for it, but it is not, in the case of unbranded EU Lumias, anything to do with requiring carrier approval.

You are welcome to accept that or not as the case may be, but it would be best to refrain from resorting to unjustified insults.

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Are any of you using the windows insider app? If not, download it and register in the slow rig. After the reboot of your devices, check for updates and it should be available.

Posted via Windows Central app for Windows 10!
Proudly rocking my Lumia 1520!

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with Microsoft. Talk to your carrier or join the insider program.

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, is that you mobile operators her these build long before Microsoft releases them through the insider app. Your operators are just putting all of their focus and energy into keeping the iPhone and Android(galaxy) as the center of a attention. I can't wait for something to come along and rain on their parades! Every good thing comes to an end eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs