How did I lose ability to Update to Win10?

l730ds

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
First, details about my phone:
Model: Nokia Lumia 730, unlocked.
Software: Lumia Denim and Windows Phone 8.1 OS version 8.10.14234.375. Haven't installed any w10 insider releases.
Area: Middle East.
Free internal memory: 3.32 GB
SD card free space: 13 GB

Yesterday, when I heard about the official Windows 10 Mobile roll out, I went ahead and downloaded the Upgrade Advisor app, it checked for the update and said that it's available, I enabled the update by ticking the check box then returned to "Phone Updates" in Settings, the update was found and it downloaded the package, told me to restart. I let it do so, the screen flashed with white gears for 2 minutes then the phone restarted to a message that says that the update package couldn't be performed from my SD card, I tried again to download the update but this time the phone showed that I need to free up 1.35 GB of free space (even though I had free space on both internal and external memory). I tried the following to resolve this glitch:

1- I reformatted the SD card, cleaned up 2 GB that were then used from the phone memory but still the phone asked to free some space.

2- I swapped the SD card with another one, still same issue.

3- I tried resetting the phone through soft reset (vol down+power), still same issue.

4- I uninstalled/moved all apps to SD card, this made the update start to download again but stopped at the middle asking for more space. I realized that the update was being downloaded to my phone's internal memory, (which was being eaten up after I emptied those 2GB). even though I set anything in "Storage Sense" to download on SD card.

As a last resort, I did a factory reset, re-downloaded the Upgrade Advisor and this time something strange happened; it said that my phone is eligible for the update and that "We're working with your mobile operator to make the upgrade available"! (Even though the phone is unlocked). I tried "Phone Update" and guess what? No update available!

How did my phone lose the ability to update to Windows 10 Mobile from just a factory reset?? I the update wasn't yet release to this phone or to my area, then why did I get it at first? I'd appreciate if anyone could assist me on this.

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett