What is a good OS for the Lumia 520 now that we know it's not going to get Windows 10?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: What is good for Lumia 520 now that it is not going to get Windows 10?

And by the way where on earth is the 640 selling for 30 or even 60 USD ?? Must be a damn crazy offer!

Only in the US though, MS(or AT&T) is losing money on it lol. Btw, if you wanna check out Wp10, go to Croma and check on the 950/950XL :) . It may not be the updated build but the UI will be the same.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Here in the US, the AT&T locked 640 is selling for 30 bucks. The phone can be unlocked and flashed to an unbranded ROM to convert it to a factory unlocked phone, similar to what's sold in India.

Do you mind sharing the guide to flash it to the unbranded rom to convert it to a factory unlocked phone?

The only guide I'm seeing is to change it to TMBOILE branding.

Thanks.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Btw, I have another issue. My brother's Lumia 430 is unable to download the upgrade advisor app from the store. It shows "pending" for a couple of minutes and then fails. Don't know what's the issue. Could anyone of you help me with that?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Do you mind sharing the guide to flash it to the unbranded rom to convert it to a factory unlocked phone?

The only guide I'm seeing is to change it to TMBOILE branding.

Thanks.

Use this guide to push those 3 files.
De-Brand [ATT] Lumia 640 LTE | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

Instead of flashing the T-Mobile firmware flash the LTA MX firmware from here:
http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ser/RM-1073/guid/059X153

suppax

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

on 620 insider is it's running fine (.164, previous ones where laggy)

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Omfg, it's a phone. God damnit, you use it for calls, messages, internet browsing. You don't get one update... Man what is wrong with you?

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S6 but still love for Windows.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes I use it just for calls, messages and browsing, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about which version of the OS is running on my phone. I love tinkering with my phone and I'm also curious to know what are the new features in w10m.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Don't buy any Windows Phone that is stuck on Windows Phone 8.1. It would be like buying an Android phone stuck on KitKat with the disadvantage that Windows Phone 8.1 can't run Windows 10 UWP apps in the Microsoft Store while KitKat phones can still run almost everything on Google Play (badly in certain cases but still possible).

Also, I'm not too sure how often Microsoft updated Windows Phone 8.1 for older devices since the Windows 10 Mobile hype picked up in early 2015. They seem to have limited any Windows Phone 8.1 updates to newer devices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history#Windows_Phone_8

Google patches security flaws (Stagefright!) in Android for older versions but carriers might not allow them to be installed. Microsoft doesn't have the carrier excuse to fall back on.

anon(8997573)

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I too don't remember any updates after denim! Where did wp8.1 update 2 go?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Don't buy any Windows Phone that is stuck on Windows Phone 8.1. It would be like buying an Android phone stuck on KitKat with the disadvantage that Windows Phone 8.1 can't run Windows 10 UWP apps in the Microsoft Store while KitKat phones can still run almost everything on Google Play (badly in certain cases but still possible).

It's more like IOS, some apps on IOS require IOS 8 or 9 to be installed, so it cant be installed on IOS7. Android is way better, you could be on 4.4 still wont lose out much.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Use this guide to push those 3 files.
De-Brand [ATT] Lumia 640 LTE | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

Instead of flashing the T-Mobile firmware flash the LTA MX firmware from here:
http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ser/RM-1073/guid/059X153

Ok I'm now taking in the link... The lta mx says telcel... are you sure that will give me unbranded ? telcel mexico sells the phones unbranded?

Also will it be mx lta telcel or mx lta telcel SL?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I used a 520 with last Release preview build till last week. I was pretty satisfied, but during intensive use I had more and more crashes (the last, I was talking to phone when copyin / pasting from Edge to Whatsapp a text...)
I'm insider in 520 since september, I liked it very much, but 512 MB became a iussue...
I was able to install and use WIn10 on a onl PentiumD desktop with 2 GB RAM, but too much slow for being usable... That's the same thing on a 512 MB Lumia

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm now taking in the link... The lta mx says telcel... are you sure that will give me unbranded ? telcel mexico sells the phones unbranded?

Also will it be mx lta telcel or mx lta telcel SL?

I'm not sure who sells it, the ROM is meant for the Mexico country variant and it is unbranded, I had it installed on my 640 for a couple of months until now when I flashed to the Argentina CV to get the newer firmware and then get the official WM10 upgrade.

Edit: Where do you see Telcel? It's the 7R MX ROM. And let's keep this discussion separate as I don't want to go off topic here. PM me if needed, thanks.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

TBH guys random crashes have little to do with the 520.
I get random app crashes on the Fierce XL. And that's a phone with 2gb of ram launched WITH W10M.

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

That's a little harsh. Your finances are not the same as everyone else. I have 7 phones in my family fleet; that changes the economics. If I want to upgrade phones, I would really like a test run first. If the 520 limps along, I will decide on a better W10M phone or look elsewhere. I am in the USA on T-Mobile. Alcatel Fierce is the only current offering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99