Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft didn't cheat anyone.
If anyone feels cheated then you misunderstand.

Microsoft simply can no longer coddle devices from 2013.
Continued support for these boat anchors just wasn't in the cards.
We bought them we liked them we should appreciate what we have.

Things die.
Tires wear out.
The weather constantly changes.
Electronic devices reach end of life.

Microsoft has done what they can and finally realized there was a need for a cutoff.
It's time to enter the next room.
You can stay here or you can embrace a better future.

If someone makes a promise and then chooses not to fulfill that promise, we (or at least most of us) call that a lie. Microsoft made a promise and chose not to make good on that. I know multiple people that bought new Lumia devices late last year and were promised on Microsoft's own website that they would be eligible for the upgrade. But now those customers are stuck with a device that Microsoft refuses to officially upgrade W10 - and the devices were bought less than 4 months ago from the store.

levy shikukui

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
To end this and to bring back peoples trust on Microsoft devises ,I think on my opinion is to start manufacturing other cheap,mid and high end phone which can support windows 10,Microsoft has resource ,they should not give excuses of not producing phones like fellow competitor Samsung,Htc and Lg among others, for sure it is a shame for a big company like this to keep as waiting for 1 year only to lunch lumia 950,which still cant hustle with other manufacture,I speak so because we have been here since Nokia and we loved the hardware ,so please do something.

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You're wrong. Microsoft wrote "despite OEM, carriers and single models iussues"

I personally saw it advertised on their own store for the devices and they also posted it on their official Twitter account. It was also in a PPT presentation made by MSFT. Others have shared screenshots & videos. I've also heard mention of multiple other sources of Microsoft officially stating, in writing, that they'd upgrade all Lumias running WP8.1.

It's really sad that in today's world, so many accept dishonesty as good business.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I personally saw it advertised on their own store for the devices and they also posted it on their official Twitter account. It was also in a PPT presentation made by MSFT. Others have shared screenshots & videos. I've also heard mention of multiple other sources of Microsoft officially stating, in writing, that they'd upgrade all Lumias running WP8.1.

It's really sad that in today's world, so many accept dishonesty as good business.

I'd just settle for big businesses paying their taxes. Struggling to remember the Halcyon days of benevolent big business. Could you remind me when that was?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
This is getting silly. MS explained why, but evidently some would rather see it as a duplicitous conspiracy to shut them out of the upgrade. I'm no tech wizard, but the reasoning makes sense. At some point there is a matter of diminishing return on the effort expended.

You can upgrade for a reasonable cost without going near a 950, although I went out and bought a 950 Saturday for this very reason. I accepted their rationale and dealt with it by buying a phone that fit their criteria, rather than whining and moaning about it.

On top of which, they know how many of these earlier devices still get used. So if you add that to the equation, the costs of developing 10 for them would far outweigh the gains.

Matt Dargis

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
MS kind screwed all there Windows Phone users. w10m still has way too many crashes and inconsistencies. Every time I do a voice search with Cortana, it crashes. Camera crashes a lot. Edge is the worst mobile browser I have used since I went with windows phone over 5 years ago. The maps app gets stuck while giving directions. Etc...

w10m is a huge disappointment. But I hate apple products and the last Android I had would lag after a month of use.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
You're wrong. Microsoft wrote "despite OEM, carriers and single models iussues"

The also added 'carriers, OEM's AND OTHER FACTORS'. Nowhere in the full statement is the word PROMISE seen. Nowhere does it say 'GUARANTEED'.

The crux of the statement is 'OTHER FACTORS'.

There is your caveat. Like Maurizio, I have not seen any official documents stating promise. The ones I have seen the word promise, is from tech websites. No doubt added in for click bait.
A lot of the misunderstanding comes from not reading the full article, to just skimming over the bad stuff and focusing on the positive, which the human brain would choose to do, without seeing the caveats. That's how many companies screw people over. Reading T's&C's is seen as tedious, hence people don't see the 'other factors' shown in the documentation.

On top of all of this, you have the devices that are stuck with 10586 for good, and then those who get to jump on the Redstone bandwagon. Are we going to have the same moaning when that happens????

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
MS kind screwed all there Windows Phone users. w10m still has way too many crashes and inconsistencies. Every time I do a voice search with Cortana, it crashes. Camera crashes a lot. Edge is the worst mobile browser I have used since I went with windows phone over 5 years ago. The maps app gets stuck while giving directions. Etc...

w10m is a huge disappointment. But I hate apple products and the last Android I had would lag after a month of use.

Yes, it is buggy. BUT...the SAME users were criticising MSFT for DELAYING RELEASE. As I posted a long time ago. Be careful what you wish for.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I do find it strange how many people there are on here with years old (often low end) devices are suddenly going to go out and buy the latest greatest on another platform. All of a sudden spending big bucks on a new device is no longer an issue....what a load of old (insert your own expletive). Simply put, no OEM is going to give much love to customers who cling on to their hardware year after year expecting continued support. Most manufacturers (Apple excluded) are barely making margin if at all. They ALL want you to buy a new phone, as often a as possible and certainly not every 3 years or so.

Srenia Ia

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 on Mobile should have been restricted to only 64 bit ARM processors. The only reason 32 bit ARMS where included was for IOT developement.

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I can recall minimum requirements for new versions of Windows. Why is this different from a pc that couldn't upgrade?

If you were MS, what would be your preference? Put it on machines and have a herd of people complaining about the upgrade, or confine it to machines that meet minimum standards to run it effectively?

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's about direction, consistency and trust. Regardless of how you view Microsofts statements on the upgrade path of existing devices they managed to give a great number of people the wrong idea. That is either poor communication and planning or wilful deception. Unfortunately both yield the same result regardless of intention.

How can anyone, honestly, say that they trust Microsoft when deciding to invest in a platform. Flip flopping over WM 6.1 to WP7 to WP8 to WM10 as well as Onedrive storage, Office 365 storage limit. I would probably include the Windows 8 with Metro.

The direction is all over the place and consistency is nowhere to be seen and therefore trust is nonexistent.

Anyway - the apologists will say that evetything will better now and it is up to each person to decide what to believe.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
As for MSFT apologists. Not by a long chalk. I run my own business, and you cannot afford to keep old stuff running. It is business suicide. How Many VCR or TV repair shops do you see these days? Very, very few. Why? Tech has moved on to dvd and bluray and it doesn't make sense to support / repair an older device. Especially when you factor in the price of a new device. TV's are the same. The only exception to this are cd and vinyl. Vinyl has made a huge comeback in the UK!

Apologists no, realist yes.

Good analogy and one I can relate to. I worked for the last 6 years at a TV repair shop, until we closed at the end of last year due to lack of revenue (because people didn't want stuff repaired, or we increasingly couldn't get the spares we needed). We attempted to diversify and it didn't work, neither was there any point in continuing when we were losing money - it simply made sense to leave the sinking ship before it sank.

Weirdly it's the really old stuff we had less reliance on, we had a Betamax recorder in around a year ago that we could fix and plenty of 1970's audio kit that we could repair thanks to being pretty simple inside.

So far as Win 10 is concerned it seems like the Krait CPU core simply isn't up to the job, or the update is being blocked/held up by the carrier or OEM.

The only device where there appears to be a good case to complain is the Blu Win Jr LTE - the non US version in particular has the necessary specification to run it (the UK model is 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, 410 CPU) and is still listed on amazon UK as having 8.1 "but soon after will have a Windows 10 upgrade". I can see big problems if that doesn't get sorted

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Why would they wilfully deceive people? The only way that line of thinking works is if they wanted to get people to buy the devices in hopes of. I doubt many devices were bought for that reason, and I doubt it ever crossed their minds.

If MS is guilty of anything, it is of declaring phones eligible before wholesale testing. It's a marketing error, which is why when we beg for transparency and information from the company, they are wise to hold their plans close. I hope people remember this next time they complain about a lack of information on the future course of Windows Mobile. Sometimes silence spares future criticism.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Seems like about a third of WP users are screaming "We were promised W10 and aren't getting it, rawr!"
About another third is screaming "We have W10 and it's slow/ buggy, rawr!"

Just think about that for a bit...

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This decision was made by the INSIDER program. People were complaining about the poor performance on low end devices so microsoft decided to axe support.

This makes it sound like the decision was totally on the insiders. The way this actually worked was Microsoft looked at the feedback and decided it was going to be too much work, to expensive, etc. etc. to fix the problems so decided not to upgrade that phone. That is a valid business decision but they are going to have to live with the negative feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos