Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
re:

the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.

The reasons from MSFT are pure excuses. They are first party, didn't they use their old product as testbed BEFORE they openly made their promise last year during presentation? Aren't there any old devices in the field running preview build stably? Performance issue is another joke, the SoC 430/435 using are even weaker than the old S4 plus SoC. The only honest reason to me is political consideration, they don't want to pay QCom for new driver support or they don't want to put more resources into old products. I don't blame them for this because those EOL product are really out of profit/maintenance cycle but you SHOULDN'T GIVE FAKE PROMISE THEN COVER WITH STUPID EXCUSES.

I'm not even going to bother to read beyond the first post. Look guys, Microsoft NEVER explicitly promised to update all Windows phones to Windows 10 Mobile.
Oh yes they did
I don't know since when the word "WILL" means "TRY" and "ALL" means "SOME"?

Is there new definitions updated in MS fanboys' dictionary?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Running a Lumia 640 currently, I'm not directly affected by Microsoft's decision to only support newer devices. That said, I do have my old 925 running the preview that I have as a backup phone (and also a 635 that I picked up cheap a while back as my initial device for running early Insider Preview builds.) So I would like it if those were officially upgradeable to extend their useful lives as backup devices.

But I have to agree that Microsoft's messaging has been poor. From the beginning they should have made it clear that they were going to provide Insider builds for as many phones as possible and as W10M progressed, they'd incorporate feedback from that to decide which phones would ultimately get the official update. Even when they announced the final phones, they did it poorly in my opinion, leaving off the Icon, killing the idea of a 2nd wave, and then when questioned stating that they were still looking into it. Couldn't they just state something like at this point we're launching W10M officially for the following phones; we're still evaluating an eventual official release for the Icon (or for certain other phones if any others still have a chance.) The way they did it, it looked like they were waffling on their plans.

The other thing is I wonder - assuming Microsoft's stated reasoning about how they chose to cut phones based on insider feedback is accurate - how much divergence was there in expectations between the "insiders" and the Windows 10 team. I mean, if an insider voted that they wouldn't recommend a build because it was significantly slower than Windows 8.1, would they have voted the same way if they realized that it would possibly mean not getting an official update at all? (I assume that insiders were expecting Microsoft to keep optimizing W10M based on feedback....)

Would Windows Phone users rather have a compromised experience, but be able to run the latest apps written to the current SDKs? Here's an experience of mine from the Apple side of the fence. I have an iPad 2. Not an iPad Air 2, the old iPad 2. I picked it up on a deal when the iPad 3 launched; it was before the original Surface came out, maybe Spring 2012? Anyway, unlike the 1st gen iPad, the iPad 2 is still getting iOS updates and runs the latest version (v9.2.1 currently). However, it's gotten really slow with more recent versions of iOS, and Safari in particular seems a bit crashy, probably due to the small memory. Nowadays I don't use it for much of anything other than a way to keep my toe in the iOS waters, and also to run apps that aren't available on Windows Phone. Although I also now have an Android phone I switch between with my 640, so even that's less frequent. But anyway, if Apple asked me if I'd recommend running iOS 9.X on the iPad (or even iOS 8.x for that matter), and I was just comparing the experience from when I first got it running earlier versions, I'd have said no. But that also would have made it much less useful as a device now.

OmniusOne

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
re:

Lol at all the people expecting perfection with the insider builds, leaving awful feedback, only to help ruin the chances of them getting the upgrade. Lots of back pedaling now. "But but but, it was fine on my x20, even though I complained about it nonstop before."

Signed, 822 owner

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I got what you're saying, and agree to an extent. I can understand the frustrations (practically promised an os that won't officially materialize for many, and etc)

But MSFT didn't give too many options on the type of feedback that could be given in the feedback app. Actually only two: Suggestions & Problems. So you get the feedback you ask for. Perhaps they should've added an 'What do you like' option as well. Really, I mean the OS kept getting better with each build, for many .. buy they only wanted to hear what was wrong and what was wanted.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

The reasons from MSFT are pure excuses. They are first party, didn't they use their old product as testbed BEFORE they openly made their promise last year during presentation? Aren't there any old devices in the field running preview build stably? Performance issue is another joke, the SoC 430/435 using are even weaker than the old S4 plus SoC. The only honest reason to me is political consideration, they don't want to pay QCom for new driver support or they don't want to put more resources into old products. I don't blame them for this because those EOL product are really out of profit/maintenance cycle but you SHOULDN'T GIVE FAKE PROMISE THEN COVER WITH STUPID EXCUSES.

Oh yes they did
https://youtu.be/L2vwjQLAN08
I don't know since when the word "WILL" means "TRY" and "ALL" means "SOME"?

Is there new definitions updated in MS fanboys' dictionary?

here is the elephant in the room : most of the devices carrying s4 chips are dual core whereas the new snapdragon 212 processors are quad core. i guess that explains it all. :)

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Re:

here is the elephant in the room : most of the devices carrying s4 chips are dual core whereas the new snapdragon 212 processors are quad core. i guess that explains it all. :)

Did you read my post and google Lumia 430/435? They had dual core SoC

The ****** defense not explain anything I'm question about

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 user here. To be honest, I do not feel anything about what MS did. Maybe bec I'm just fed up with their broken promises. Lol. Thank God for the insider builds though. If not for these I may not have experienced W10M. (I still prefer 8.1 in terms of performance tho)

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my 520 for three years already and I can definitely say that I made a good buy. Not all budget phones have this privilege of being updated to the latest software version. If MS wouldn't really release W10 officially for my phone, then so be it. There are insider builds, after all. And besides my phone is the lowest spec Lumia so this is somewhat expected from the beginning already.

(but i am thinking of going to ios or android after this. not because i MS broke his promise in giving w10 to 520, but bec i really need some quality apps in my life right now lol)

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I used a 520 with last Release preview build till last week. I was pretty satisfied, but during intensive use I had more and more crashes (the last, I was talking to phone when copyin / pasting from Edge to Whatsapp a text...)
I'm insider in 520 since september, I liked it very much, but 512 MB became a iussue...
I was able to install and use WIn10 on a onl PentiumD desktop with 2 GB RAM, but too much slow for being usable... That's the same thing on a 512 MB Lumia

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
sir i am speaking about the snapdragon 212 not 200s/430/35 please Google yourselves and learn more. :)

Since your caring point is totally different from mine, what's the purpose you quote my post for? Trolling?

What's the point bringing SD212 into the topic when MSFT are providing official w10m support to those even lower spec, dual-core SoC (lower than s4 plus) while claim some "performance issue" with old devices, and saying non-sense like "this explain all" ?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Since your caring point is totally different from mine, what's the purpose you quote my post for? Trolling?

What's the point bringing SD212 into the topic when MSFT are providing official w10m support to those even lower spec, dual-core SoC (lower than s4 plus) while claim some "performance issue" with old devices, and saying non-sense like "this explain all" ?

My sincere apologies sir for taking the feed off topic and yes burn me in hell for quoting you. god bless you . ___/\___

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
U guys are killing me with the crying

The x2x phones are over 3 years old, they were only guaranteed 36 months support long before windows 10. U knew this years ago.

The m8 and the icon I believe has something to do with Verizon so maybe they got rid of the m8 because of the carriers holding up (especially Vzw and att) updates.

They had said a year ago some devices might not get the update, and they PLANNED on getting the update out. Stuff happens it's life. Insiders complained about those phones performance issues so they dropped the phones 90% of u guys it was time for a upgrade anyway

Either way it goes u guys can STILL put insider on your phones, and STILL use the same .164 everyone else is using and possibly up until Redstone Is released and still use the new apps.

Wtf are u complaining about u still have time to get a new phone while using windows 10

Sent from mTalk

JelenaJela

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
If Microsoft would give Windows 10 mobile to users of phones with less than 1 GB, those same users would complain for bad performance of their phones. So, they would say that Windows 10 Mobile is sh*** version of Windows OS. They would never be satisfied with what they got, because they expect the impossible. Why do they complain, if their phones just can't follow Windows 10 Mobile needs?!

Microsoft have tried, gave them chance with Insider and through that same program figured out that it wouldn't work.

I will never get why are they so stubborn.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
U guys are killing me with the crying

The x2x phones are over 3 years old, they were only guaranteed 36 months support long before windows 10. U knew this years ago.

The m8 and the icon I believe has something to do with Verizon so maybe they got rid of the m8 because of the carriers holding up (especially Vzw and att) updates.

They had said a year ago some devices might not get the update, and they PLANNED on getting the update out. Stuff happens it's life. Insiders complained about those phones performance issues so they dropped the phones 90% of u guys it was time for a upgrade anyway

Either way it goes u guys can STILL put insider on your phones, and STILL use the same .164 everyone else is using and possibly up until Redstone Is released and still use the new apps.

Wtf are u complaining about u still have time to get a new phone while using windows 10

Sent from mTalk
This is pretty much what I would have written too. I have followed this and a few other threads and think we have hit a new record for whiney entitlement. Some of the language being used 'liars', 'cheaters' etc. Is just ridiculous. Things move on...deal with it. The rationale has been well laid out. W10 just doesn't work well on some devices for hardware reasons and others are just too problematic to update.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
This is pretty much what I would have written too. I have followed this and a few other threads and think we have hit a new record for whiney entitlement. Some of the language being used 'liars', 'cheaters' etc. Is just ridiculous. Things move on...deal with it. The rationale has been well laid out. W10 just doesn't work well on some devices for hardware reasons and others are just too problematic to update.

Exactly even tho they have to upgrade which they knew they would have to anyway on 3 year old hardware or hardware on minimal ram they can still run 10 and experience the new apps and they are STILL complaining it's hilarious most android phones barely get 2 updates and these phones have been supported for 3 years

Sent from mTalk

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Lol at all the people expecting perfection with the insider builds, leaving awful feedback, only to help ruin the chances of them getting the upgrade. Lots of back pedaling now. "But but but, it was fine on my x20, even though I complained about it nonstop before."

Signed, 822 owner

So true, but they'll never admit it.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Re:

So true, but they'll never admit it.

Lol, that is not true, they asked better performance because MS promised W10 on all devices. I mean if you are enrolled in W10M development and you submit feedback from your phone don't you expect actions and improvements? What did they get? Rejection because MS launched botched 950 that were running hot and laggy. They had to focus only on 950, they even change the way things works, releasing builds only on phones that shipped with W10, because their new phones don't work as expected, not to mention the old ones.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OK so let's say the carriers are the reason the M8 is not getting the general upgrade, what would be the reasoning to drop it out of the insider program, it runs Windows 10 like a champ. I'm sorry, I love the OS, but tired of being lied to, first Onedrive and now this, at least Apple and Google are trust worthy.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
OK so let's say the carriers are the reason the M8 is not getting the general upgrade, what would be the reasoning to drop it out of the insider program, it runs Windows 10 like a champ. I'm sorry, I love the OS, but tired of being lied to, first Onedrive and now this, at least Apple and Google are trust worthy.
You are seriously deluded if you believe any big business is truly trust worthy. Thats not how business works my friend. Apple screw their loyal customers year after year (look at their margins) with overpriced hardware and a nailed down operating system and Google have long since dispensed with the "do no evil" ethos. I get that you are angry but keep it real please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077