Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOPESH GOPI

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
at least they can give us wm10 with reduced functionality. but they not even did that too. i loved the windows phone but now i'm really sad and am thinking to move to android

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It is rather sad to see the Microsofts apologists try to create an alternate universe where Microsoft didn't deceive its customers.

This is not surprising considering the site we're on.

And personally, I think Microsoft are a bunch of lying toerags, for the simple reason that they KNEW they weren't going to upgrade lots of devices but let people believe they would for months, adding these devices to the insider program and only on the day of release did they decide to tell people, and even then it was buried in an FAQ page deep in their site. Its just a poor way to treat your own users and says a lot about the company and the way it regards its smartphone platform.

JunoVkool

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. right. I won't even ask you to pick an android device with 512 MB RAM, just make it 1GB and newest processor for mid-range phone. Good luck that you will receive updates (if any) after 1-2 years LMAO.

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm funny this way, but I buy what I like and can afford. In this case, a 950 worked for me, and it is exactly what I wanted. If an Android device is what you would like, by all means, go that route.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I can recall minimum requirements for new versions of Windows. Why is this different from a pc that couldn't upgrade?

If you were MS, what would be your preference? Put it on machines and have a herd of people complaining about the upgrade, or confine it to machines that meet minimum standards to run it effectively?

Not exact. I installed W10 on Pentium D.... It works, but........... Just testing. Minimum pc specs are far above, for an accettable experience.
I fear they understood that all in one time , with 512 MB Lumias

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I do find it strange how many people there are on here with years old (often low end) devices are suddenly going to go out and buy the latest greatest on another platform. All of a sudden spending big bucks on a new device is no longer an issue....
Since you asked. My Samsung Focus came off contract September of 2014 from the Canadian carrier Rogers. My options at the time were the old 1020, or wait month for a 830. The 1520, Icon, 930 and M8 never made it to Canada. Microsoft in their wisdom canceled the Maclaren to focus on low end devices. A 512mb 635 went on sale in December so I paid out of my own pocket instead of wasting my business upgrade.

I was hoping to get a flagship in spring as that is when the 1520 and other flagships arrived. Finally in November the 950 came out, however Rogers and all other Canadian carriers dropped Microsoft all together. I can get a more capable LG G5, or Samsung S7 for less than half the price of the 950. I won't even entertain buying a new Windows Mobile until the people hub that I love is restored and all the bugs are out anyway.

If I could turn back time, I should have wasted my upgrade on the 830 because my 635 is in it for the long haul now. It looks like only x50 phones will continue on to redstone, it maybe best if people refuse the update anyway if you like the people hub or a Cortana phone specific features.

From December until now I was on the insider program with my 635. I wish I could give W10M a score of less than 0 because of how bad it really is. You should not experience any kind of defect within at least a month of using a device. With .164 and only stock apps installed, edge or cortana would crash within an hour of use. Edge is particularly bad. Even start screen would lag and show the resuming message. My Focus never failed once in 3 years, but that is too much to expect.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I repeat once more: Google is updating only Nexus. Huawei doesn't update anything older than 2 year. Local Android OEM (OPPO,Xiamoi, etc.) have to rewrite their own custom Android s.o. if they want to upgrade

NitOxYs

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
The awkward moment when the Lumia Icon (929) is nearly identical other than carrier modems to the supported Lumia 930, getting Windows 10 Mobile. How about the insider FEEDBACK app was suppose to HELP fix issues and not say, oh crap we shouldn't develop this because we can't have too many builds/issues with it. The icon is just over 2 years old now, Apple has been supporting the 4S and above for years beyond it. They have IOS9. I get at some point there lacks updates. I get it, but really sours the mouth when there are no products available from your company on said network. Not our fault, theirs.

NitOxYs

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I repeat once more: Google is updating only Nexus. Huawei doesn't update anything older than 2 year. Local Android OEM (OPPO,Xiamoi, etc.) have to rewrite their own custom Android s.o. if they want to upgrade
Except.. Nokia is now owned and operated as Microsoft's Mobile division.. AWKWARD!

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
U guys are killing me with the crying

The x2x phones are over 3 years old, they were only guaranteed 36 months support long before windows 10. U knew this years ago.

The m8 and the icon I believe has something to do with Verizon so maybe they got rid of the m8 because of the carriers holding up (especially Vzw and att) updates.

They had said a year ago some devices might not get the update, and they PLANNED on getting the update out. Stuff happens it's life. Insiders complained about those phones performance issues so they dropped the phones 90% of u guys it was time for a upgrade anyway

Either way it goes u guys can STILL put insider on your phones, and STILL use the same .164 everyone else is using and possibly up until Redstone Is released and still use the new apps.

Wtf are u complaining about u still have time to get a new phone while using windows 10

Sent from mTalk

What we are frustrated about is M$ claimed to update all phones in their conference, in front of millions people.
Then they say hey we won't update your old phones even you've been loyal to us.
If they have problem with Verizon, why did they decide to work with them?
Why don't give the build to Verizon for testing before releasing it?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Except.. Nokia is now owned and operated as Microsoft's Mobile division.. AWKWARD!

I'm still taking a N78 rooted and full of apps in my desk, Who knows. I took it down becase there weren't working batteries on Amazon that weren't old as phone itself, so I switched to a 520 for 2 years ;)

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Apple has been supporting the 4S and above for years beyond it. They have IOS9.

Not totally true. They have something called 9 but that is actually nowhere near as good as what a 6 has on it. They get a watered down version of 9 that is missing any of the features that a 4 cannot handle. On top of that, a 4 that has been updated has gotten noticeably slower with every version update. Yes they have "9" but it isn't truly 9 and it comes with a performance price.

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Not totally true. They have something called 9 but that is actually nowhere near as good as what a 6 has on it. They get a watered down version of 9 that is missing any of the features that a 4 cannot handle. On top of that, a 4 that has been updated has gotten noticeably slower with every version update. Yes they have "9" but it isn't truly 9 and it comes with a performance price.

but the 4s still can be updated if the users want to
and we're stuck here with M$

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

at least they give us reduced functionality. but they not even did that too. i loved the windows phone but now i'm really sad
reduced functionality? = 8.1
Several years passed and 512 MB devices are definitely outdated, if you are so eager and want W10M join Insider, you won't be happy because device will hold you back. Decision was confirmed and made from community that tested stuff, and 512 MB is not enough for a W10M.

Creating an account and making these absurd statements with foul language won't impress and change anything, it is just wasting time, while you could earn some extra coin and get yourself a brand new capable device, instead of moaning.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

reduced functionality? = 8.1
Several years passed and 512 MB devices are definitely outdated, if you are so eager and want W10M join Insider, you won't be happy because device will hold you back. Decision was confirmed and made from community that tested stuff, and 512 MB is not enough for a W10M.

Creating an account and making these absurd statements with foul language won't impress and change anything, it is just wasting time, while you could earn some extra coin and get yourself a brand new capable device, instead of moaning.

The only reduced functionality I asked was a toggle for switching off Aero effects on 512 MB. That's the only solution. Phones will fly. Too much effects kill memory

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft allowed anyone to join the insider program an test there devices with Windows 10 Mobile. I have a Lumia 1020 and a Lumia 950. The 1020 is not up to running Windows 10 Mobile as a daily driver.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft allowed anyone to join the insider program an test there devices with Windows 10 Mobile. I have a Lumia 1020 and a Lumia 950. The 1020 is not up to running Windows 10 Mobile as a daily driver.

And that is the insider feedback Microsoft got on x2x devices. This is why it is not available. Not enough users said this works on my phone and the problems reported swamped out the good.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re:

I'm not even going to bother to read beyond the first post. Look guys, Microsoft NEVER explicitly promised to update all Windows phones to Windows 10 Mobile. They said their GOAL was to update all Windows phones, but this is what they get for telling us anything. Because they were cautiously optimistic long before they had any concrete answers about what would be possible, half the Windows world is yelling and whining because they think they were cheated. Microsoft did exactly what was expected of them and it's a whole lot better than a lot of other companies. They said they'd TRY to update as many phones as humanly possible, than let us all have VERY early access through the Windows Insider program, and carefully and meticulously evaluated the performance and reliability of every phone that joined the Insider program. After months of testing and developing it became clear that some Windows phones CANNOT run Windows 10 Mobile safely. So Microsoft, intent on providing the best experience possible, has to take all these hits because people don't understand that, sometimes, three year old phones can't run the latest software. Microsoft never made promises, they made optimistic hints that they would do their best, and they did. They sure did a lot better than anything but a Nexus device on Android, and Android Central even took note of that, if no one noticed that happened. You know what? Well done Microsoft. You're taking a hit for no reason, but well done. The update is going much smoother than most people expected, even if it's apparently just not good enough.

I don't bother to read beyond the first sentence or two.
Microsoft EXPLICITLY SAID 36 months of updates. 1320 - my phone - came out February 2014, and therefore HAS TO BE UPDATED THROUGH 2017.
I don't get you people; you don't own Microsoft. You - most of you - are not shareholders. What is it with you always taking their side? Can it be anything beyond sheer fanboyism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa