Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't bother to read beyond the first sentence or two.
Microsoft EXPLICITLY SAID 36 months of updates. 1320 - my phone - came out February 2014, and therefore HAS TO BE UPDATED THROUGH 2017.
I don't get you people; you don't own Microsoft. You - most of you - are not shareholders. What is it with you always taking their side? Can it be anything beyond sheer fanboyism?

Putting it in caps doesn't make your argument any more compelling. Resorting to calling anyone who doesn't agree with your analysis a '******' is weak and normally the last resort of a weak argument. I understand your disappointment but your (& the rest of the angry brigade) steadfast inability to deal with the facts is bemusing.

NitOxYs

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Not totally true. They have something called 9 but that is actually nowhere near as good as what a 6 has on it. They get a watered down version of 9 that is missing any of the features that a 4 cannot handle. On top of that, a 4 that has been updated has gotten noticeably slower with every version update. Yes they have "9" but it isn't truly 9 and it comes with a performance price.
Absolutely, if the hardware isn't there, don't enable that service. Why can Windows 10 for x86 handle that and not Windows 10 mobile when they're trying to delete the line between mobile OS and desktop OS.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
And that is the insider feedback Microsoft got on x2x devices. This is why it is not available. Not enough users said this works on my phone and the problems reported swamped out the good.

At what point did receiving updates become something insiders have to decide about? If the software couldn't run on these devices, that means the software is crap. They promised to update devices and now they are like "yeah our software is crap and because you are basically saying it's crap we're not going to do anything about it. Deal with it."

I am not saying Microsoft can do anything about the situation now, but this...these incidents are indicators that anyone trusting Microsoft for a solid Mobile platform can be considered an ***** from now on.

Why did we stick with Windows Phone anyway? First they butchered the design language that separated WP from Android and iOS to the point that Windows is barely distinguishable from Android - a crappy, unfinished version by the way - and then they kept giving their faithful base the shaft over and over.

Why are you guys defending them? What is it? The lackluster and awkward hardware 950XL or the beta software running it? Seriously, what is it?
Sigh.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft EXPLICITLY SAID 36 months of updates. 1320 - my phone - came out February 2014, and therefore HAS TO BE UPDATED THROUGH 2017.
I don't get you people; you don't own Microsoft. You - most of you - are not shareholders. What is it with you always taking their side? Can it be anything beyond sheer fanboyism?

Common sense and the ability to see things clearly. If something doesn't work well on your phone why do you want it? If it was me and I was that worried about it I would call or send MS a very nice polite detailed grievance. Maybe they will do something for you. You never know.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Common sense and the ability to see things clearly. If something doesn't work well on your phone why do you want it? If it was me and I was that worried about it I would call or send MS a very nice polite detailed grievance. Maybe they will do something for you. You never know.

Because it's easier to come on here, complain and start chucking insults about.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
OK. Let's see if I understand what's going on.

- Certain devices were left out of receiving something called "Windows 10 Mobile, Official Update" because Microsoft determined that upgrading them could cause problems.
- Those same phones, if the user wants, can download an app "Windows Insider" and receive the exact same build that was released as "Official."
- Those same phones, if the user doesn't want, can continue running the current OS.

Further:
- If a user installed W10M Insider on their old device and it runs like crap, that's their fault.
- If Microsoft automatically upgrades them and it runs like crap, that's Microsoft's fault.

I really don't get all the whining and complaining. If you want Windows 10 Mobile on your device, what in the world is stopping you from getting it?

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

This right here is the problem: when you say "I'll give you 3 years worth of updates" that's a selling point. People buy into your product ecosystem because they trust you keep your word. This is no different than promising a 20 megapixel camera, and installing a 5 megapixel one, except this cheat would be obvious on the day of release.

So if Microsoft says "I promise you 10 years worth of updates on this device" I'm supposed to not take their word for it; I'm supposed to say "common sense says they can't keep their word on that". Sure, I'll say that. But that still makes Microsoft a crappy, lying company, that doesn't deserve my trust. Isn't it?

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
OK. Let's see if I understand what's going on.

- Certain devices were left out of receiving something called "Windows 10 Mobile, Official Update" because Microsoft determined that upgrading them could cause problems.
- Those same phones, if the user wants, can download an app "Windows Insider" and receive the exact same build that was released as "Official."
- Those same phones, if the user doesn't want, can continue running the current OS.

Further:
- If a user installed W10M Insider on their old device and it runs like crap, that's their fault.
- If Microsoft automatically upgrades them and it runs like crap, that's Microsoft's fault.

I really don't get all the whining and complaining. If you want Windows 10 Mobile on your device, what in the world is stopping you from getting it?

I'll answer that: I am the guy who knows about the Insider program. I am a tech savvy guy. The rest of those using these devices, that maybe were recommended by us, are not going to get them after us telling them they'll receive 36 months of updates.

It's not just about Windows 10 Mobile. As a matter of fact I'm not installing it and will keep running 8.1 until my 1320 runs out of juice, and then I'll decide to either choose an iPhone or an Android - most likely the latter. That's not even the point. The point, my friend, is the stream of broken promises; ones that keep happening over and over.

Furthermore, if the update Microsoft promised for 3 years after release cannot be deemed good enough to run on my 2 year old device, it's their fault. They said we will update you for 36 months, and then their update is so bad that they themselves don't recommend it to the point they won't officially release it.

You think everything is alright there?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Buyer beware...

I'd still really like to see something written in a guarantee from Microsoft specifically promising continuing updates for older models.
A talking head on a stage or a tweet or a blog means nothing against a legal promise inked somewhere in the bowels of the companies policy.

I ask again where is the update promised or specified in writing?
Show me the words?

This disclaimer is all I see:
Capture.JPG

MorganRW

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If anyone has not figured it out yet, Lumia is dead. They released the 950 to zero fanfare and with an incomplete OS. They are focusing entirely on Surface Phone and are putting all their efforts into making a device and OS that is truly innovative. Now do you want that or do you want them to waste time working on 1 year or older devices that quite honestly are nothing special? If you want this platform to survive and grow then moving forward on something that was just a mind blowing as the Surface is the right call. If you insist that they spend time on hardware that was decent a year ago, then enjoy switching over to Android or iPhone in a couple of years when M decides to just develop apps for those platforms. Should M offer a discount on Surface phone to anyone who early adopted the Lumia platform? Sure but this is not likely. So stop whining and save your money for the Surface Phone.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Buyer beware...

I'd still really like to see something written in a guarantee from Microsoft specifically promising continuing updates for older models.
A talking head on a stage or a tweet or a blog means nothing against a legal promise inked somewhere in the bowels of the companies policy.

I ask again where is the update promised or specified in writing?
Show me the words?

This disclaimer is all I see:
View attachment 124132

And by the way maybe this answers your question:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=17945

From the source:
"Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System, including security updates, for a minimum of 36 months after the lifecycle start date."
The end of lifecycle is even listed there as 7/11/2017.

Explicit referral to "updates...including security updates" trumps "features, apps and services".
I guess I'll get ready for court.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

From the source:
"Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System, including security updates, for a minimum of 36 months after the lifecycle start date."

Explicit referral to "updates...including security updates" trumps "features, apps and services".
What about the note? Did you read to the end?? Do you ever read to the end??

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

From the source:

There is always the possibility of receiving minor updates while you're still using WP8.1. Remember WP7.8?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Infact you'll be updated till 2017. Insider 10586 should be close at the end of 2016.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Also from the source: "Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities". Don't just select the bits you like the sound of eh?

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
This right here is the problem: when you say "I'll give you 3 years worth of updates" that's a selling point. People buy into your product ecosystem because they trust you keep your word. This is no different than promising a 20 megapixel camera, and installing a 5 megapixel one, except this cheat would be obvious on the day of release.

So if Microsoft says "I promise you 10 years worth of updates on this device" I'm supposed to not take their word for it; I'm supposed to say "common sense says they can't keep their word on that". Sure, I'll say that. But that still makes Microsoft a crappy, lying company, that doesn't deserve my trust. Isn't it?

on the surface you're right. I see how one could be upset but I also read that MS would support them on 8.1 through 2017, if I read it right. That would be 3yrs of support on some of those devices.
what I don't understand is if win10 sucks on those phones why does anyone want it?
I was an insider and it ran well on the 735 but if sucked I wouldn't want it or ***** about it... Sometimes chit happens..
If I was really wealthy I would buy all of you complaining a new win10 phone if that's all it took to make you happy and have a better life. So instead I'm going to light one up for all of you and send out positive vibes and karma instead.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

From the source:

"For the Operating System" - Which is Windows Phone 8.1, not Windows 10 Mobile.

Windows 10 Mobile is a different OS which is being offered to some Windows Phone 8.1 users as an "Upgrade".

Windows Phone 8.1 may get security updates until 2018, but that doesn't mean it has to be updated to Windows 10 Mobile.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Also from the source: "Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities". Don't just select the bits you like the sound of eh?

Sure, you're right. I won't be able to take them to court. So this "promise" means if I buy the device on day 1, and on day 2 they declare my hardware obsolete, the 36 months of updates is good for nothing. This solves the court issue, but not the trust issue.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
So this "promise" means if I buy the device on day 1, and on day 2 they declare my hardware obsolete, the 36 months of updates is good for nothing.

Hang on. I'm sure that there is some store somewhere in the world that is still selling new Lumia 920s and Lumia 520s. Should people buying those handsets today have a guaranteed 3-year software update plan? Despite the almost 4-year old hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb