Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
"For the Operating System" - Which is Windows Phone 8.1, not Windows 10 Mobile.

Windows 10 Mobile is a different OS which is being offered to some Windows Phone 8.1 users as an "Upgrade".

Windows Phone 8.1 may get security updates until 2018, but that doesn't mean it has to be updated to Windows 10 Mobile.

You do realize that doesn't solve anything, right? When you hear Microsoft say it, and have it on their website to back it up, that "you'd get updates for 3 years" you, as a customer, say "I'll get the next version of this OS if it's released in the next 3 years". Sure you can read the fine print and see what they give you, is what they can get out of with an "update" that doesn't change anything but the font of a certain dialog in the Settings.

I'm talking about the trust that is broken, not the money I could won in the court.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Hang on. I'm sure that there is some store somewhere in the world that is still selling new Lumia 920s and Lumia 520s. Should people buying those handsets today have a guaranteed 3-year software update plan? Despite the almost 4-year old hardware?

No, but they can expect to receive the next version of the OS if the next version is released from the original day their current OS was released. That's what everyone understood the day Microsoft talked about the 3 year update: that from the day Windows Phone 8.1 devices were originally released, if the next version was released within 3 years, they'd get the next version.

What you all are telling me now is that the 36 month thing is actually nothing. Microsoft can get out of it with almost anything. As I said, trust is broken. Not the law.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Sure, you're right. I won't be able to take them to court. So this "promise" means if I buy the device on day 1, and on day 2 they declare my hardware obsolete, the 36 months of updates is good for nothing. This solves the court issue, but not the trust issue.
There is no reasoning with you. You've just ignored the bit of "the promise" (your quote marks, why dunno?) that doesn't fit in with your story. You won't even reference it. It clearly says dependent on hardware capabilities. Why doesn't that sink in with you?

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re:

"Overall, very happy with my purchase. I love Windows Mobile versions over the years, but Microsoft has a lot of work to do. The 950?s issues were too much for such an expensive flagship. If they do release another flagship or Surface phone, all 950 users should get a hefty discount as an apology."

MS is way past the point that their semi promises will get a pass. My Trophy ans Surface RT attest to that. They are basically spitting in the face of the people who support them and want them to succeed. NOT leaving is actually a sad commentary on those who stay. Starting to look like the victims of domestic violence who never leave.

OmniusOne

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Seems like about a third of WP users are screaming "We were promised W10 and aren't getting it, rawr!"
About another third is screaming "We have W10 and it's slow/ buggy, rawr!"

Just think about that for a bit...
Ha ha ha. Geesh; in a nutshell, eh. I was a bit miffed, but over it now myself. I'll just run the preview (TH 10586 build) until I get a newer phone. Fierce XL, I think. Went from surprise, shock, horror, anger, denial, to peaceful acceptance. Lol

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

"Overall, very happy with my purchase. I love Windows Mobile versions over the years, but Microsoft has a lot of work to do. The 950’s issues were too much for such an expensive flagship. If they do release another flagship or Surface phone, all 950 users should get a hefty discount as an apology."
Ehm, we are talking about Microsoft, not VolksWagen....:angel:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
And by the way maybe this answers your question:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=17945

From the source:
"Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System, including security updates, for a minimum of 36 months after the lifecycle start date."
The end of lifecycle is even listed there as 7/11/2017.

Explicit referral to "updates...including security updates" trumps "features, apps and services".
I guess I'll get ready for court.

Seen that link before.
That's just as vague as what I referred to.
The update policy never refers to specific devices.

There's also this incase you missed it in FAQs:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=17945&wa=wsignin1.0#gp/lifecycle-windows-phone-faq

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There is no reasoning with you. You've just ignored the bit of "the promise" (your quote marks, why dunno?) that doesn't fit in with your story. You won't even reference it. It clearly says dependent on hardware capabilities. Why doesn't that sink in with you?

Because the last sentence of a note of a webpage is not "the promise". The "you get updates for 36 months from now" part, and its implication, is the promise. No one said "the 36 months, dependent on hardware, on the type of security or functional update, the region, etc." when people believed them to be saying "if we make another Windows within 36 months, the devices you buy today will get it."

That's the promise part. If this promise can be technically broken by almost anything...still doesn't exonerate the party that implied that was not the case. And they did, purposely, imply it.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Because the last sentence of a note of a webpage is not "the promise". The "you get updates for 36 months from now" part, and its implication, is the promise. No one said "the 36 months, dependent on hardware, on the type of security or functional update, the region, etc." when people believed them to be saying "if we make another Windows within 36 months, the devices you buy today will get it."

That's the promise part. If this promise can be technically broken by almost anything...still doesn't exonerate the party that implied that was not the case. And they did, purposely, imply it.
Oh sorry, "the promise" is part you've decided. That makes sense. You ignore stuff you don't like the sound of and focus on the bits you do. I must try that. What could possibly go wrong...

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, "the promise" is part you've decided. That makes sense. You ignore stuff you don't like the sound of and focus on the bits you do. I must try that. What could possibly go wrong...

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that what I'm saying was not the widespread belief of consumers? So if they actually were saying what you are saying now, isn't that considered misleading the public?

Here is the fact: most people did think they are going to get the next Windows when they were buying the device. At best, this was a communication problem on Microsoft's part; at worst, it was blatant lying and deceit.

None of this implicates me or any other consumer. The only one to blame would be from any perspective Microsoft.

Nathanael Lusk

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
My question is, why wont my preview for developers work on my Lumia 830? I go to phone update and check for updates and it just sits there and says checking for updates....i wonder if its my phone or something that's all screwy

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Re:

the decision was solely made on insider reviews on stability and performance. hardware restrictions are the major cause here as most of the now unsupported windows 10 devices are with snapdragon s4 processors. as of now these remain unsupported.

promises were made but because of the unsatisfactory performance of win 10 on those devices this decision was made. microsoft did do well by upgrading majority of upgradeable devices including low end 435. here we notice that minimum SoC requirement for windows 10 seems to be snapdragon 200 processor which are found in 435 low end and also recently launched 650 .

microsoft has even declared there wont be any second wave of windows 10 upgrade. while lumia icon is still being considered. whereas high end 925 is left behind. so its all about the outdated hardware which is the major culprit here.
That story complete pile of BS. If indeed that was the case, wouldn't you, or your team work even harder to make sure all your customers would be happy! After all, happy customer, repeat business. They are just so depleted they gave up on older hardware. I have a 925 that won't be updated, works fine on W10, aside from Cortana.
Instead, they looks like complete idiots, and made us even bigger idiots. No phone left behind, all Lumias will bla bla bla bla. Won't affect me at all, i had made my mind up would not buy another phone from them, and i'm sure won't be alone on this one. I seriously hope all owners of the Blue Jr will sue microsoft.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by JelenaJela
If Microsoft would give Windows 10 mobile to users of phones with less than 1 GB, those same users would complain for bad performance of their phones. So, they would say that Windows 10 Mobile is sh*** version of Windows OS. They would never be satisfied with what they got, because they expect the impossible. Why do they complain, if their phones just can't follow Windows 10 Mobile needs?!

Microsoft have tried, gave them chance with Insider and through that same program figured out that it wouldn't work.

I will never get why are they so stubborn.

A promise is a promise. If MS was not so sure about the old devices on W10M, why MS made promise at first place? MS should provide option to 512MB phone owners, and let them to decide if to upgrade or not, help them to downgrade if the performance is not satisfied.

So far, what I see from some of the web sites that the decision not to upgrade 512MB devices makes these owners feel backstabbed. I am not using the word "exodus", but I do see many hating owners left Windows Phone world.

I currently bought a 950XL, I also begin to worry will MS abandon it some day, just like 920 and 1020 were also once flagships.

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not going to lie; that had me rubbing my chin.

"I can't get Windows 10 on my 520, so I'm getting a Galaxy S7."

Interesting.....

Shamsiddin Nabiev

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh come on guys... All this thing about "not stable enough on older phones" is BS. Microsoft just saved a lot of money excluding half of the phones from the update. This is the ONLY reason why older phones are not getting updates.

PS: My field is Computer Engineering so I'm more than sure that CPUs like S400, S4+... are very powerfull, powerfull enough to handle even newest OS comming next 2-3 years!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh come on guys... All this thing about "not stable enough on older phones" is BS. Microsoft just saved a lot of money excluding half of the phones from the update. This is the ONLY reason why older phones are not getting updates.

Exactly. They're victim blaming by pointing at those who complained about performance on the Insider program.

You didn't see them scrap Groove because it was unreliable according to feedback back then did they?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I currently bought a 950XL, I also begin to worry will MS abandon it some day, just like 920 and 1020 were also once flagships.

I get what you're saying; you're concerned that MS will drop support for the 950XL "too soon". But the way you've phrased that is doomed to disappointment. No matter what, at some point MS will abandon the 950XL just like at some point Samsung will abandon the GS7, Google will abandon the Nexus 6p, Apple will abandon the iPhone 6s/+, LG will abandon the G5, and so on. It's just the way of tech and life itself. "All things come to an end." My desk drawer is filled with the dashed dreams of abandoned phones.

That's actually not much of an exaggeration. I need to wipe and recycle these things....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster