Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
No one said an older device runs the OS as good as the new hardware. And people won't buy Alcatel or BLU or Moly as long as Microsoft makes Lumias or Surfaces. And also they won't buy Windows Mobile when they have been given this many shafts over the years! I am sure you are aware of the state of recent Lumia sales. People are gone; because of all the mistakes. They won't be coming back, regardless of whether Moly (LOL) has a new WIndows Mobile device out there.

The trust thing comes waaaay before the miscellaneous OEM thing and right now there is absolutely no reason for a Windows Mobile user to stick with the platform to wield an Alcatel or Acer or Moly or BLU.

The OEM's can sell devices in markets where brand is not important.

If you hate MS so much what are you doing in these forums?

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Its not just about the w10 update, some times people just want a cleaned up settings or support for latest apps or app updates. Its not the same with other os. Android has lot of players hence the fragmentation, apple devices have access to a better app ecosystem that is not affected by os updates. Its microsofts OS their hardware then what is stoping them.
The fact that it is so many different devices that they have to do this for. Like Daniel said, Microsoft is/was supporting more phones at one time than any other company. This is something that is greatly ignored in the forum. How many phones are currently running 8.1? I've always said that since purchasing Nokia's phone division, it would be better suited for Microsoft to release 3-4 phones a year while releasing the software to OEMs and have them test and optimize their own hardware (I don't know if they do this now or not)

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The OEM's can sell devices in markets where brand is not important.

If you hate MS so much what are you doing in these forums?

Sure they do. What I was saying is that their contribution to Mobile market share won't come even close to the importance of keeping the dwindling Windows Phone user base.

And...I used to like Microsoft.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
FYI bud I *DO* have a 1020 that I have had running Windows 10 Mobile since the first insider build.

I have had the 1020 since it was released in 2013.

I have had Nokia phones for the best part of 20 years and I have been using Windows Phone since the Lumia 900 release.

The majority of mobile users do not even know what OS they are running nevermind missing an OS upgrade.

Oh another thing if you wand Windows 10 Mobile to survive BUY new hardware because clinging to old hardware does not help at this point.

I said if you only had the 1020.

Last edited:

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Cheated? I 'm not sure about that.

When you bought your phone did it say "Upgradable to W10M"? Mine didn't

Microsoft stated at one point that it planned to upgrade all windows phones. They also have the right to change that position as circumstances change. They did not cheat anyone because they did not charge a fee and then not deliver the product they promised.

It would be more accurate to say they "disappointed" people who thought they were getting W10M. Big difference.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just told 4 friends about their phones not updating to W10M (635, 1020, 1020 and 1320).

The answer from the 1320 was to go back to Android; I'm pretty sure he won't because he is happy with his phone which got after having a Nexus (I can't remember or care about what Nexus was it). He used to give pretty harsh Insider feedback because he actually thought that Microsoft could do it better after a few moments he told me that maybe to lie wasn't a good idea.

My other 2 friends (1020, 635) didn't care if they'll get the update or not. The one with the 1020 was a former Lumia 900 user; which was actually a bad story about not getting an upgrade path.

The other Lumia 1020 user just asked me to send him a link to a new cellphone with his carrier. Our carrier don't have WP/W10M anymore so, his next request was to send him a link with another carrier that has WP/W10M.

One of them (1320) felt cheated but he felt somewhat responsible for that. The 1020 owners were kind of looking for an upgrade but they were waiting something worthy of being a 1020 succesor.

My particular way to see the things is:
My old Lumia 920 didnt' got living images, didn't magically got sensor core, didn't magically got passive Cortana, didn't magically got Windows Hello, didn't magically got Continuum. So I was kind of wanting to upgrade because I was missing a lot of things by now. W10M was to me a way to access new versions of the same apps.

I still use my 920 on W10M when the 950 XL is charging and the performance is good enough for me since Oct 2015. I'm not sure what was unacceptable for those Insiders but if they were like my friend with a 1320 then I understand the rage but the rage is misdirected.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I just told 4 friends about their phones not updating to W10M (635, 1020, 1020 and 1320).

The answer from the 1320 was to go back to Android; I'm pretty sure he won't because he is happy with his phone which got after having a Nexus (I can't remember or care about what Nexus was it). He used to give pretty harsh Insider feedback because he actually thought that Microsoft could do it better after a few moments he told me that maybe to lie wasn't a good idea.

My other 2 friends (1020, 635) didn't care if they'll get the update or not. The one with the 1020 was a former Lumia 900 user; which was actually a bad story about not getting an upgrade path.

The other Lumia 1020 user just asked me to send him a link to a new cellphone with his carrier. Our carrier don't have WP/W10M anymore so, his next request was to send him a link with another carrier that has WP/W10M.

One of them (1320) felt cheated but he felt somewhat responsible for that. The 1020 owners were kind of looking for an upgrade but they were waiting something worthy of being a 1020 succesor.

My particular way to see the things is:
My old Lumia 920 didnt' got living images, didn't magically got sensor core, didn't magically got passive Cortana, didn't magically got Windows Hello, didn't magically got Continuum. So I was kind of wanting to upgrade because I was missing a lot of things by now. W10M was to me a way to access new versions of the same apps.

I still use my 920 on W10M when the 950 XL is charging and the performance is good enough for me since Oct 2015. I'm not sure what was unacceptable for those Insiders but if they were like my friend with a 1320 then I understand the rage but the rage is misdirected.

So basically everybody is happy, and Lumia sales haven't suffered recently, and Windows Phone is alive and well. That's very good news :)

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Friend, don't take their decision and apparent reversal so personal. Windows 10 Mobile on every old device was always pie in the sky and shame on anyone for believing until it was delivered. It's a dim view of how things work, but it is how things work. I hope you've never invested in a kickstarter or loaned money on peer2peer lending services. Sometimes you don't get what is promised, but it isn't personal. Microsoft makes plenty of missteps. They make them over and over. It's tiresome, sure. I just don't believe (presently or in the past) that any of those missteps were done in order to be malicious and deliberately undercut their customer loyalties. They are just a big name brand of the 90s that is still working on adjusting course and fixing some bad mistakes. Don't worry about RIP Microsoft, it isn't going anywhere.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Windows is as alive as it has ever been for me. And sales are pretty good too. I've purchased 3 640's in the last 6 months and couldn't be happier! And i don't care if the lovely AT&T updates my phone ( they probably won't). All platforms have phone update issues, that's just a fact of life and it always will be.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
IF ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOWS:

I have an Icon running W10 preview for testing purposes. It's no longer an active phone, so no big concern there. It is on the Insider FAST track. With the new policy, will it continue to get Insider FAST updates ?

Of more concern is my Lumia 928. I'm activating it for my grandson and I installed Win 10 mobile Insider SLOW track. With this new policy, will it continue to receive Insider SLOW updates ? Will pending changes in future releases make it unusable ? Should I revert it to 8.1 before giving it to him ?

Please, no responses about MSFT, and what they did, or did not, do. I'd just like to hear what is actually known about the coming months and these phones.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, it isn't but is not the way you are pointing it to be either. If things were that black and white there wouldn't be PC/Laptops since 5 years ago.

horbeme

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I personally think this discussion is hypocritical, why because if the phones were switched as to which phone would and wouldn't get it the same ppl complaining now wouldn't cause their phone is on the list. should 3 year old phones get an update that the current phone have maybe maybe not, from my experience my 950 runs good and still has some issues but are minimum in my opinion and wouldn't trade it for anything, but imagine old hardware probably be 3-4 time worse. if MS release the update to all phones and they knew it wasn't optimized properly then it will give more ppl not to want a Windows phone and say it suck with 3 year old hardware. MS should just give it to them so they can see for themselves and they will either roll it back (which I think MS is trying to have the customer avoid) or force them to buy a new phone which would be better for both the consumer and OEM. we might as well upgrade my trophy from W7 cause i still have that phone and my 928 (but that's Verizon, it aint happening), I can complain all day but why when I can get a new phone and not worry if the OS works properly or always complaining about performance, seems simply to me, but I understand the financial part of it but its not like your buying the phone out right, pay plan with carriers. IMO

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There are some seriously misguided people around here that think that any old excuse will do for Microsoft.

The reality is that I have a household with a multitude of different devices. 2 Windows phones (920 and 930), an iPhone, and Android phone, an iPad, an iMac, a Surface 3 Pro and a couple of Win10 laptops and an xBox.

One common denominator of trouble is Microsoft

- the debacle of Win8
- noncompatibility between xBox one and 360 (they are trying to address that one)
- no upgrade path for my former Lumia 800 and now Lumia 920
- multiple problems with the Surface 3 Pro
- Onedrive storage

I probably forgot something but I cannot really be bothered anymore. The REALITY of my everyday life that when I make decisions that affect my family for the next few years I will take into account the behaviour of the provider of my services. Therefore Microsoft needs to go and I will probably phase them out.

Paul Boland

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Just read the news about my Lumia 820 not getting the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Very disappointed... I was really looking forward to it :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)