Microsoft Cheated Lumia Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
so because it happened in the past, it will happen again?
That's not a bright future you're looking at with history repeating itself...

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups; remember that.

Hahaha - seriously that is actually quite funny. Brings a certain quote back to me:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

Let that sink in and don't worry about reminding me about the pitfalls of assumptions as you might have overlooked that your statement is probably more apt as a counterargument for your opinions in this thread.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha - seriously that is actually quite funny. Brings a certain quote back to me:

?The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?

Let that sink in and don't worry about reminding me about the pitfalls of assumptions as you might have overlooked that your statement is probably more apt as a counterargument for your opinions in this thread.

Seems to apply to this thread in general. A handful of dissatisfied punters howling at the void again and again, to no effect....

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

probably me that I don't get it but I didn't assume anything. I just take the facts and live with it instead of complain.

This topic is really going nowhere so guess I'll stop wasting my time.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Likewise, I'm stepping away from this thread. It's achieving zero other than giving a few hurt bunnies somewhere to vent their spleen. Good luck and goodnight....

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
so because it happened in the past, it will happen again? That's not a bright future you're looking at with history repeating itself... Assumption is the mother of all ****ups; remember that.
...and induction is the mother of all science. With your reasoning a wife should stay with a husband that has cheated 5 times already and hope "the past won't repeat itself".

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
probably me that I don't get it but I didn't assume anything. I just take the facts and live with it instead of complain. This topic is really going nowhere so guess I'll stop wasting my time.
The whole point of the thread is whether Microsoft cheated the WP user base. We argue they did screw up, you defend them. Do you expect anything else coming out of it? We know why we are here. But we don't know what you are here for, if arguing they didn't screw up isn't it. The "taking the facts and living with it" happens automatically. It will hurt Microsoft. It's like losing your children in an air raid: you will live with it of course. But if there is an argument somewhere defending the ones behind the bombings, do you expect the parents to say nothing? If they talk about it, wouldn't those who say "why complain? take the facts and live with it" be .... part of human anatomy that I can't explicitly mention here? If you have an actual point saying Microsoft is not to blame, bring it and expect to receive answers. If you are here just to say "don't talk about it" it is YOU who should remain silent and leave.

Kubanarin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I am sorry that both of you feel that you were unsuccessful in shutting the dissenters down. C'est la vie.

I hold people an companies and individuals to a reasonable, in my opinion, ethical standard and Microsoft has failed with flying colours several times. It saddens me that there are people out there that back up this behaviour and I consider it a sad reflection on modern society and the tech community.

It is certainly not helpful for Microsoft in the long run that they receive feedback that leads them to behave in such a way. It is not sustainable to alienate significant numbers of your customers so regularly.

People seeking to excuse or post rationalise this behaviour should consider its implications in the long run.

David630

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
So you wanted 10, but as you put it, your phone is getting worse? In what context is it getting worse? Why does it have the worst support? In my dealings with them, all my issues have been sorted in one call.

Maybe it isn't bad coding? Maybe firmware updates have caused problems? Maybe there aren't enough devices left to warrant any further support? I can't see the logic of carrying on with 4 year old devices.

Ok, here's one for you....You get a shiny new win10m .164. It doesn't work as you expected? What do you do? Complain? Moan that it is rubbish? The thing is, that's as far as you would go anyways. Are all and sundry going to moan then that they arent getting Redstone build??
What is so hard to understand?
I had to uninstall 5 applications 4 of them related directly to Microsoft or 5 if I count MixRadio was in their hands some time ago, another one that I use a lot Here maps will not see more updates, again Microsoft behind this move, this looks like a trend and you only have to look the store to see what other parties are doing. Not only that, the phone won't get more relevant updates from Microsoft and the new efforts will be focused on Windows 10 and its store.

Obviously my grandmother doesn't code the firmware or the operating system for Lumia's phones, if there are problems the responsable is Microsoft, they could fix their software or abandon a part of their customers, both paths have consequences, they've chosen to abandon part of their customers, naturally a lot of us are not happy.
My Lumia 630 is less than one year old, it's still being sold in some places, EOLed the past month, I think it was released in June or August 2014 here, November 2014 for USA according to Wikipedia's info. Now if people could explain my in what temporal dimensions they are living to consider this phone 4 years old because the excuses are getting ridiculous.

What should I do? Applaud Microsoft? Obviously not and I think this is the thread to post what I think about Microsoft's latest move.

Someone like Blizzard for gaming says we're cancelling a game (Titan) that we've been developing for years because it's just not good enough, and for the most part the internet gives a silent thumbs up for sticking to their guns on quality and not releasing a sub-par experience.

Just a funny comparison, as it's all a matter of perspective.
A better comparison would be Blizzard releasing the game and promising things because the state was bad, and one year later erasing stuff from the game, not updating and leaving it there with all the problems that they didn't solve and were huge upon release. Then they would show the new Titan 2 game giving it for free to some of their gamers, those users would tell the others, why do you care? Buy the new game.
Meanwhile other companies have their own games, far more complete and Blizzard works with them adding their own stuff.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Well I am sorry that both of you feel that you were unsuccessful in shutting the dissenters down. C'est la vie.

I hold people an companies and individuals to a reasonable, in my opinion, ethical standard and Microsoft has failed with flying colours several times. It saddens me that there are people out there that back up this behaviour and I consider it a sad reflection on modern society and the tech community.

It is certainly not helpful for Microsoft in the long run that they receive feedback that leads them to behave in such a way. It is not sustainable to alienate significant numbers of your customers so regularly.

People seeking to excuse or post rationalise this behaviour should consider its implications in the long run.
Final final post on this thread (I promise) but I just had to stand back and admire the pompous, condescending tone of this post - read it back to yourself preferably in your approximation of James Earl Jones voice...see what i mean? kudos my friend and adieu..

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Final final post on this thread (I promise) but I just had to stand back and admire the pompous, condescending tone of this post - read it back to yourself preferably in your approximation of James Earl Jones voice...see what i mean? kudos my friend and adieu..

The only thing coming close to "pompous behavior" - in a skewed mind nonetheless - in that paragraph was the one sentence "I hold people an companies and individuals to a reasonable, in my opinion, ethical standard" and he included the "in my opinion" part to give it a balanced tone!

This goes to show how skewed and unpredictable people's minds are and how weird of a grasp they have on logic.
I was wondering how Trump is winning the Republican nomination despite EVERYTHING he stands for, and then you come here and realize that Trump actually is not unexpected, but a completely natural result of a large part of of humanity's way of thinking.
:straight:

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Wrong. I am not a fan boy, just level headed and someone who runs their own business.

The quote in your post mentions support for three years. People are getting confused. Support DOES NOT mean the company is obliged to offer OS updates. The only support they are obliged to provide are security updates and patches. There has been a recent court case where Samsung were put in the dock to answer why phones of 12 - 18 months old weren't updated to latest OS. It turns out the only OS they have to support is the one it came with by providing security and patches / bug fixes. I have a couple of android phones. A Galaxy ace, as a spare, that came with 4.2.2. It's just a year old. Have I seen an OS update? No! Just patches. I also have a Galaxy tab, around 18 months old, that's stuck on Jelly Bean. Any OS update? Nope.

Support for older devices also means fewer new ones sold. How is a software company or an OEM supposed to recoup, or ofset costs for development. All of this can also be read along with the so called promise by MSFT. There was no promise. People once again see something shiny and go into Magpie mode without reading the caveat's quite clearly posted. Admittedly it isn't nice to be left out, but a device 3-4 years old is going to start lagging behind. As said in a couple of posts in this thread, the older devices are chewing through batteries. I guess they are having to work harder.

watch this and tell me if they promised or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2vwjQLAN08

When you said this: "Support for older devices also means fewer new ones sold"
means you're paid to defend M$.
As a consumer/customer, why do you care if they sell more new phones?
I don't care if Apple sells millions of iPhones, or Samsung sells millions of Galaxy phones.
All I care is my phone is supported as stated by its maker.
And why do you compare with Android OEMs?
Why don't you compare with Apple who updates its 4 year-old phone?
Why don't you compare with the Nexus line which gets updated as soon as new Android version is released?

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
so now Microsoft is getting hammered for not living up to their promises... If they would have released it to those phones, they'd be hammered for delivering an OS that's crap because it doesn't run "buttery smooth"... People will always find something to b1tch about on Microsoft.

To be clear : I agree on the part that Microsoft had issues on the communication part during the whole Insider Program and that they shouldn't have actually made the bold promise that Windows 10 Mobile would come to all Lumias...

But again, what would you rather have : Windows Phone 8.1 running decent on your phone or a crippled version of Windows 10 mobile where features were removed because of the phone hardware?

Then to all people talking about moving to Android or iOS : getting updates on Android phones is just as rare as the Loch Ness monster (see this thread on Android Central) and if you want to go to iOS, good luck finding a phone sub 300 € (don't bother looking, I just checked the Apple website and the cheapest is the 6 SE at 489 €). So no, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Also people : it's just a phone. The quality of life won't degrade if you don't get Windows 10 Mobile. If you do want it, get a new phone.

People would have accepted acceptable performance. If the 5S doesn't run as smooth as an 6S it's OK. You still have the hardware you paid for, you still have the apps you need, and the 5S will actually continue to be just as usable as the SE. I don't believe the performance of the 5S will degrade to the point of uselessness even two major iOS versions down the road.

So Microsoft doesn't release anything for 2 years, and the next version that arrives won't be released for half the market...and will absolutely render half the market completely obsolete due to the restart of the Store.

How come you guys never talk about the fact that Microsoft leaving older devices behind is not comparable to the way Apple updates its devices? Which version of iPhone is now unable to download and use the latest WhatsApp because of a restarted App Store? Which version of the Galaxy S series lacks WhatsApp? (WhatsApp is available to Android friggin' 2.2 and up!) I believe the SIII more or less has access to all the apps in the Play Store. Hell, the S2 has official upgrade to 4.1 JellyBean and that gives the 2011 phone access to almost all of today's apps!

Care to do a comparison?

As I said before, I find the best running version of Windows 10 Mobile a disgrace to the legacy of Windows Phone 8 and 8.1. It's a half-baked, app-less, glitchy Android wannabe. The 1000th failure - the recent forced obsolesce of devices - is just the cherry on top of Microsoft's betrayal of trust.

Last edited:

AdrianGroza

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
As an owner of a Lumia 435 I must say I am a bit staggered by the fact that Microsoft chose not to upgrade all the powerful lumias to an official windows 10 build.I bought the cheapest Windows phone and I find that I get an official windows build and others don't,all of this while my lumia has like 2010 specs (a dumb dual core 1 gb ram and a medicore at best screen).While getting an official w10m build makes me happy,it also makes me sad because with so many windows phones left in the dust developers will go away even more (Microsoft already has a minuscule mobile market share),making my phone a dinosaur (from certain points of view it already is).As far as UWP is concerned,don't be fooled,yes it is meant to hasten the process of migrating and running apps on a variety of devices but supporting an app on w10m still requires aditional coding,UWP or not,and with such a small user base developers simply have no reaseon to work extra hours to port the app.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
As an owner of a Lumia 435 I must say I am a bit staggered by the fact that Microsoft chose not to upgrade all the powerful lumias to an official windows 10 build.I bought the cheapest Windows phone and I find that I get an official windows build and others don't,all of this while my lumia has like 2010 specs (a dumb dual core 1 gb ram and a medicore at best screen).While getting an official w10m build makes me happy,it also makes me sad because with so many windows phones left in the dust developers will go away even more (Microsoft already has a minuscule mobile market share),making my phone a dinosaur (from certain points of view it already is).As far as UWP is concerned,don't be fooled,yes it is meant to hasten the process of migrating and running apps on a variety of devices but supporting an app on w10m still requires aditional coding,UWP or not,and with such a small user base developers simply have no reaseon to work extra hours to port the app.
I can only say from my experience. My 735 worked great on win10 but while my wife's icon, a flagship, ran win10 decent it wasn't as smooth or as fast as the cheaper 735.
I've tried to figure why but I can't find an answer. It has to be something with the older hardware, maybe. I Suppose it could even have something to do with Verizon's network, just guessing.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I can only say from my experience. My 735 worked great on win10 but while my wife's icon, a flagship, ran win10 decent it wasn't as smooth or as fast as the cheaper 735.
I've tried to figure why but I can't find an answer. It has to be something with the older hardware, maybe. I Suppose it could even have something to do with Verizon's network, just guessing.

Same glitches and delays can be seen on an unlocked, international version of 1520. When it has issues running on the more powerful hardware, the only thing to blame is the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo