Just updated to W10M? Read this!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
To all those who didn't use the insider program and have just joined the world of W10, you may well run into some issues.

Those of us who used the TP builds have come across a lot of the issues being seen on these boards.

Although Microsoft say it's a straight forward upgrade where you basically click and play, the truth is it doesnt always work for some.

Although it can be a pain in the neck, the only way to resolve some of these issues it to hard reset your device, and NOT restore from a back up. There seems to be, in some instances, a conflict appear, possibly due erroneous data loitering in shadows waiting to mug your fresh win10 code.

Here are couple of things I've personally run in to. Please note this is not the definitive list, and if any, more experienced users, want to jump in to help out then game on.

1) Greyed out tiles on start screen. Obviously, coming from 8.1 and having restored a back up, your apps need to update. It takes a while. Any that don't, you can go to my library and go through them manually.

2) Glance Screen. There is an update for win 10 and it can take a while to get it. It will turn up eventually.

3) Touch is off. I didn't find a simple cure for this one, so a hard reset was performed, and that was cured.

4) slow to respond straight away. Check the store. You will find roughly 40 updates!! If not more. I just left the phones alone for an hour or so, and things picked up from there.

5) App list icons slow to appear. Haven't got a clue on this one. It does it on my 950's and my 950xl's. I have asked Gabe, and reported it, so we will see.

5) For us in the UK, Cortana is a car crash, compared to 8.1! Doesn't track flights, doesn't update, live tile falls asleep etc. A workaround is to change your region settings to the USofA, but news and sport headlines will be mainly American.

6) Any other issues that affect performance or conflicts, or strange behaviour, then I can only advise a hard reset and not restore. Unfortunately, it's the only way in certain circumstances. Before you go throwing your device out, try the reset. It takes a while getting your apps back, but you WILL notice an improvement.

Hopefully, I haven't taught anyone to 'suck eggs' or patronised anyone, that wasn't the aim of this post. I just thought it would be helpful to those who haven't tinkered with the insider program.

If anyone has any more pointers for our recently inducted brethren, or if I've got something wrong, by all means poke me with a stick!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Nice list! Just adding this.. After upgrading to an insider build, I went into the store to check how many apps would be downloading so that I could cancel a few, but I didn't see any apps. Checked for updates, but the list was still empty! So I jumped to all apps list to check it out and saw that my apps were still on "pending" and greyed out..

Lucky for me, I had other things to do so I left the phone to charge for a few hours and when I came back all those apps were installed. So if the store doesn't show anything, don't panic...

Not sure if anyone has ever gotten this or it was just limited to me? In any case, not restoring from a backup is probably a good idea

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Imma stick this for now...

What Mad Cabbie says is true.

Clean install always trump anything else. At the very least you should upgrade, update to .164 and reset your device. If you then load a backup,it will have a better chance. If you reset and do everything manually for downloading Apps and setting up Settings, Start, etc. you will have the best chance.

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
W10M - Bugs and issues (non-insider)

*To the mod who moved my comment here: how is this thread even relevant to what I wrote?!*

Last edited:

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M - Bugs and issues (non-insider)

What I've encountered so far on Lumia 640 Dual-SIM; OS version: 10586.164

1. Network and wireless -> Data Usage: attempting to set "Restrict background data" or turning on "Restrict background data while roaming" crashes the setting app and goes back to the start screen.

2. While on the all app list, doing any of the following will result in the list being un-dimmed.
a. launching an app and then going back to the all app list with the back button.
b. locking and unlocking the phone.
c. tapping-and-holding the back button and then going back to the all app list.

3. Update & security: sometimes the Backup setting page fails to load.

4. If "Show my cloud-only content" in Photos app is turned on: shooting a photo with the camera app and then immediately deleting it from the camera app itself would not delete it from the photos app right away. (need to investigate further)

5. In some cases, after unlocking a pin-locked lockscreen, it might take 1-2 seconds for the start screen to show up.

do post your issues here. this will help you sort out your problems and also keep things at one place. :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ows-10-mobile-upgrade-issues-discussions.html

eddlang

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I understand but wouldn't it be better to keep that thread for upgrade-only issues? I made this thread for all the non-insider W10M bugs and issues in general.

hwcheng

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

The Store App will not check both automatically (by default) or manually by pressing the Settings>Download and Updates>"Check Updates" for App updates. I have to search individual app to find out!! Only Microsoft Apps will be redirected to the Store when launching and there is an update. REALLY FRUSTRATING, M$!!:confused::angry::unhappysweat:

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to the official Win10 mobile on my Lumia 830 a few days ago. I quite like many elements of it, but I've come across a few bugs that are a little bit annoying:

• Battery charging. I've noticed the battery drains a bit quicker than on WinP8.1, but it doesn't surprise me because it is a slightly more sophisticated OS. BUT, what I do find quite annoying is that charging seems to be at somewhere less than half the speed on WinP8.1. It takes ages. And I feel the slow speed of charging seems disproportionate to the increased drain speed.
  • "Microsoft Photos plug-in" - This app is listed in my updates in Store. (I don't even know what it is...) It always comes up with an error - apparently it needs to be installed on device memory instead of SD-card. No problem, I accept the settings override - the same error comes up again. So I go into settings, change the default location for new apps to device memory, go back to Store, try again - same error. This is sitting there, stuck in the downloads queue.
  • Groove Music - playing music via bluetooth. In WinP8.1, I connected to my car audio and it displayed artist/album/song and I could use the car audio controls to skip tracks, etc. Now, it only displays "bluetooth audio" and I cannot control playback from the car at all. I have a 2011 Seat Leon with fully-integrated bluetooth handsfree etc. It's a Volkswagen kit.
  • Microsoft app updates: Just a day or two ago there were updates for many MS apps, Photos/Camera/Office mobile. Somewhere I read this is only available for those with the Redstone update. Is this true? Shame if so...
If anyone else has come across these bugs, and knows a good way to deal with them, please let me know. I'd love any advice.

Olumayowa Odebiyi

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Cant seem to access my outlook account. Even though the settings have been accepted. I decided to put up my yahoo and gmail accounts. These settings were successful such that I see my mails coming in, but not the Outlook mails...., what did I do wrong?

Is it me or the update? I was accessing my mails with the denim 8.1 upgrade 2. All that's stopped since the release of the W10M upgrade of the lumia 640 xl ds bought just recently.

Also just tried to check the store and its not just opening. Just shows a dull grey screen after a while of waiting for the app to open.

This upgrade is making the joys of having the phone very difficult at the moment.

Any ideas, anyone? What to do...

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Cant seem to access my outlook account. Even though the settings have been accepted. I decided to put up my yahoo and gmail accounts. These settings were successful such that I see my mails coming in, but not the Outlook mails...., what did I do wrong?

Is it me or the update? I was accessing my mails with the denim 8.1 upgrade 2. All that's stopped since the release of the W10M upgrade of the lumia 640 xl ds bought just recently.

Also just tried to check the store and its not just opening. Just shows a dull grey screen after a while of waiting for the app to open.

This upgrade is making the joys of having the phone very difficult at the moment.

Any ideas, anyone? What to do...

Did you upgrade directly form 8.1? Then it's reccomended doing an Hard reset, in order to start from a fresh 10 install and upgrade all the core apps to 10 version.
That resolves all the incompatibility

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
From the comments above it seems like without a hard reset you would end up with your phone in a chaos if you want to upgrade your Win8.1.x to Win10m....

So what is the point if it is not a smooth upgrade?! Why a Reset is required?!

When I upgraded my AT&T L640 from W8.1.2 to Win10m through the Insider Program I did not need a Reset. There were only 4 issues with apps which were later resolved. Since then I jump to Redstone and I am on the latest 14295.1000 build without using the Reset. Why can't MS do the same for non insiders here?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
From the comments above it seems like without a hard reset you would end up with your phone in a chaos if you want to upgrade your Win8.1.x to Win10m....

So what is the point if it is not a smooth upgrade?! Why a Reset is required?!

When I upgraded my AT&T L640 from W8.1.2 to Win10m through the Insider Program I did not need a Reset. There were only 4 issues with apps which were later resolved. Since then I jump to Redstone and I am on the latest 14295.1000 build without using the Reset. Why can't MS do the same for non insiders here?

The ONLY rule is the same as notebooks/desktops: it works? Don't touch it, and enjoy. It doesn't works? Format. (hard reset in smartphone world)
That's All Folks

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Soft Reset

The soft reset is the same thing as pulling your battery (on devices where that is possible). This method will not remove anything at all from your phone and is completely safe to attempt in any problem situation.
You perform the soft reset by having your phone turned on. Then press and hold the volume down + power buttons until your phone vibrates and restarts. Note that you should not touch the device screen during the process (not even when the 'slide down to power off' prompt appears).

Hard Reset

The hard reset will bring your phone back to factory settings, the same state as when the device was first turned on. All apps, messages, media, personal settings, etc will be removed from the phone. If backup is turned on under Settings, you can restore your apps and settings after performing a hard reset (as long as you initialize the phone with the same Microsoft Account). Note that resetting your device will not remove any OS or firmware updates. You will remain on the same version of Windows Phone after the reset.
If you can TURN ON your device you can reset your phone under Settings: Settings > about > reset your phone

If you can't open your device because of a forgotten PIN (or similar), you can use the button method: Press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The phone should reset to factory settings.

Olumayowa Odebiyi

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Go to Settings>System>About> then scroll to the bottom and tap Reset Your Phone

For smoother transition you can choose not to restore your backup. I know....Its a pain, but for a better gain!

Very reluctant to do the reset. Have too many materials on phone for study to risk doing that at this time. Maybe later...

Appreciate the answer. 😃

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb