Let us be honest. Snap chat is killing Windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, and if it was 2001 it would be lack of a MySpace app, and in 2007 lack of a Bebo app, and next year it will be some other nonsense.

I still maintain the universal apps will be what closes the app gap, as the "classic" Windows market is too big for most to ignore. However teen fad apps like Snapchat can ignore it cos their target demographic don't use computers, they use phones, and if they choose to ignore Windows there's nothing Microsoft can do about it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing Microsoft can do?

Have a look here: Snapchat | Windows Central

This one is particularly illuminating: Snapchat silences critics, removes 'Support My Incompatible Device' feedback form | Windows Central

It's not about ambivalence on Microsoft's part as paulxxwall implies, it is about antagonism on Snapchat's part. There has never been an official Snapchat App for Windows Phone. There likely never will be, given one of the founder's outspoken bias against all things Microsoft.

There used to be 3rd party Apps. The problem is that a 3rd party App on Android intercepted, stored and then released 100,000 or more of the most salacious images online for all to see when the Snapchat users thought those images were safely "dissolved" forever. Your Snapchat photos may have been exposed in massive compromise | Android Central

But their security issues run deeper than that: Snapchat settles with the FTC over privacy concerns, will be monitored for 20 years | Android Central

After the 3rd party fiasco, Snapchat reinstated the illusion of security by disallowing any 3rd party Apps on their service. No 3rd party App means no Windows Phone App as they steadfastly refuse to build one themselves. Reportedly, Rudy Huyn the publisher of the most popular WP App even offered his code to Snapchat so they could easily rework it into an official App, but that offer was declined.

Here is the saddest part of this whole thing. I personally don't give two figs about SnapChuck. Never have, never will and no one can make me. But this thing has been so worked over on the forums I am almost forced to learn about it as the perpetual cries for help on the issue never go away.

I strongly urge you to read everything on the history of this brouhaha and then decide if you think this thread is worth keeping open. PM me when you are ready to have it closed.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Snaptchat is not a publicly owned company, i.e. it can't be bought. We might see an IPO in 2016, but until then that's not an option.

Technically, not true. It can be bought - the owner just has to be willing to sell. Which, in this case, he's not - at least if the interested party is Microsoft.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I agree with the op.

I don't care for Snapchat but this is reality.

Its like WhatsApp. Not everyone uses it but a select group does. If WhatsApp was not on windows phone, I most certainly would nt be using windows phone. There is no alternative.

You people need to understand that snap chat is what is it right now. That's what this generation wants and this generation is the one to change the fate of windows phones... not the 40year old + users who don't care about Snapchat.

Here's what I tell my 26 year-old niece. "If you want to be treated like an adult, act like an adult. Adults don't use snapchat, and don't post kissy-face pictures anywhere else online either."

This mentality is what we need to get away from.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You people need to understand that snap chat is what is it right now. That's what this generation wants and this generation is the one to change the fate of windows phones... not the 40year old + users who don't care about Snapchat.

But only Snapchat can address this...

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
But only Snapchat can address this...

I also feel ms has some blame too. When the word is that ms is not going all in like they should why would devs take them serious ? If I was a Dev and knew ms wasn't really trying to attract consumer why would I waiste my time and $ ? There doing good on the pc front but mobile?.........

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also feel ms has some blame too...

You keep talking about a broader issue, not Snapchat which is the topic. Snapchat's animosity is long running and well documented.

The point you are trying to make is like blaming the table at the restaurant because the bakery you favor won't deliver to that restaurant's kitchen. It may be true you are not getting the muffin of your choice, but it has nothing to do with the tablecloth and dishes the restaurant puts on the tables.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I see no reason for Snap Chat. Ever. But I do understand the frustration for liking platform and something you care about isn't there, its a turn off.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
snapchat, is that where celebrities use text to hide their nude bodies if i am not wrong, this thing should be banned :(

"flagged adult content"

i don't even consider it a social platform

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
"Snapchat is only for sex" logic is from people that don't understand snapchat

Only for sex? Of course it isn't.
Used often for sexual purposes...Of course it is.

Even more so than other apps since its very 'privacy' features are what lured the teen demographic to it.
Keep in mind I am the target audience for Snapchat....I am not someone in his 40s-50s who doesn't 'get it'.

Whenever I am interested in getting to know someone or whatever whatever....Snapchat is what they use. It isn't to send me cool stories or videos of Cat. It's usually for sexual purpose (which thankfully I was raised with self-respect so I don't partake in that).

That's just like saying Tinder isn't used predominantly for sexual purposes. Sure, you can have some tame and G-rated/PG conversation. I use Tinder. Not for the hookups but for the LOLs and I have had some great conversations.

Guess what? A vast majority of users are using it for sexual purposes because that is sort of what it is marketed towards.

Snapchat:
Send whatever you want. It self-destructs (Teen and Young adult mentality: 'Ooh I can send WHATEVER ;), Ay turn up. It'll be deleted soon."

Tinder:
Match with people near you....(Especially in a college setting "Hmm, I wonder what hot chick/guy I can meet up with now."

Anyone who labels Snapchat is purely a sexual app is being hyperbolic. And in my opinion, I find it willfully ignorant that anyone who tries to downplay the sexual nature and appeal of Snapchat.

The 'snappening' was a thing. What? you think since SNapchat broaden the features/appeal...that people suddenly have stopped sexting with each other and currently are just sending videos of cats.

**Snorts Loudly**
Okay.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Technically, not true. It can be bought - the owner just has to be willing to sell. Which, in this case, he's not - at least if the interested party is Microsoft.

Yes, that would have been more precise. Should have said "in this case can't be bought by MS".

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You keep talking about a broader issue, not Snapchat which is the topic. Snapchat's animosity is long running and well documented.

The point you are trying to make is like blaming the table at the restaurant because the bakery you favor won't deliver to that restaurant's kitchen. It may be true you are not getting the muffin of your choice, but it has nothing to do with the tablecloth and dishes the restaurant puts on the tables.

Sure in using the restaurant as analogy sure ms has nice tables to sit in and nice dishes to offer but then in contrast to iOS and android they also have a menu, servers,food ,cooks to cook the food on the menus and one of there best dishes is snapchat. It's why more go to the iOS and android restaurants and not the ms ones and I'm just referring to mobile not pc's. And that's just how I see it and maybe in the minority

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I will say this. To me, using snapchat it seems like an unfinished product. It is really cool but someone could come along and do something better.

Snapchat is a ridiculously simplistic app that almost anyone with rudimentary IT skills could create. Snapchat didn't become popular because it's particularly good. It became popular as result of implementing an appealing idea at the right time. It spread from there and will now be very hard to compete with, because its primary selling point is not what it can do or it how well it does it, but how many people you know that use it. No new app can compete with that. It's similar to WhatsApp. A million apps can do the same thing. Often better... that's just not the selling point.

I think Snapchat is here to stay so WM will have to find another way to succeed without it (and without many other apps).

My point is that hoping for "better" and more WM friendly competition to dethrone Snapchat is likely also a lost cause.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb