Switching OS...

anon(5466678)

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
...back to windows phone.

I switched from WP about 2 years ago when the app gap got to me. I have missed the user experience from day one, I hate android static icons. I got my Nexus 5x the day it came out as an upgrade to the nexus 5 that was failing me. Recently my 5x has been really disppointing me performance wise, specifically when relating to switching apps and camera performance. I was in a Best Buy recently and picked up the 950 and was impressed by its snappyness. I left WP after my lumia 920, so I was really impressed with how fast the 950 camera came up and app switching seemed very quick.

Anyway, on to the point of this post. I started to look at the app gap, I looked at the apps on my phone that I use everyday. Most of those apps seem to be available on WP these days (except for google stuff like cast), and it seems like the UWP is starting to pay off for the platform. So I think im going to buy a lumia.

My questin is regarding which lumia 950 to get. Is the 950 good enough to get, or do you really need the XL? I hope to use continuum from time to time, but most of the time of course its just going to be my smartphone, the size of the 950 is preferable to me.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I really liked my 1520, got a 950 on day 1.
Picked up my 1520 today to look at it and quickly put it back on the shelf.
To get back to my AWESOME 950....

Adjaero Pascal

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, am still using my relatively new Nexus 5 while I wait a bit longer for the HP elite x3. By then I also expect a relatively stable OS and more popular apps appearing in the store.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(5466678)

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So you don't really need the extra power of the XL? The 950 had basically the same setup as the Nexus 5x I'm on now and I am not happy with the 5x. Just want to make sure that I don't get burned by the specs. Though my wife's a9 works nicely and it's a lower end chip.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft has been able to run windows phone/mobile very well on lesser chips.
There is nothing slow about my 950 though.
Do you get a trial period/ return time with purchases where you shop?

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Have the same problem with phones over 5" and the 950 is just perfect and you won't see any difference between the CPUs (actually you won't risk overheating, so another plus for 950)... when there are slowdonws it's usually a faulty app causing it, like what's app sometimes hanging or a developer that decided that loading from a server before showing the actual app page was a good idea :) . Good apps are as fast as can get while bad apps are bad (or legacy apps) on any CPU.

You could use the extra money to get a mozo cover, really enjoying my red and gold bought for 33? shipped from amazon.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I shifted from Lumia 1020 after using it for nearly 3 years....i pre booked the Lumia 950 ds here in India and got display dock free....the phone is the best windows mobile till date...super fast awesome features...all I ever wanted in a phone from iris scanner that works great now after few updates to firmware and os...i do use 2 phone but my main driver is Lumia 950 and 2nd is lg g4...i recommend Lumia 950...best size...and camera is mind blowing....

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Did you update the 5X to the latest March build? The last update was supposed to correct most issues with the 5x including lag and the camera. My 5x is very smooth. Something is off with your device. You can also clear the cache on the phone too and it usually helps. I think you are going to regret going back imho.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720