Don't panic, w10m is fine

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
You guys are getting it all wrong. Don't panic.
Practically everything that was shown at build's first keynote is directly related to mobile as well. The bots, Hello integration in Edge, it will all come to mobile as well.
You guys need to stop thinking in terms of devices or form factor. Windows 10 = Windows 10. They simply chose to present it all via the desktop OS because that’s faster and more reliable for a presentation and more people can relate to it because it has a bigger market share.
Microsoft just recently announced spectacular features for mobile. Continuum for example. The whole experience needs to be improved and that will take a year. Nothing wrong with that. Furthermore, lots of new things will come to w10m this year. Perhaps nothing spectacular, but that’s fair. You can’t come up with something spectacular each month.
The next wave of spectacular for mobile is the Surface phone. Until that time mobile simply needs to grow up and stay on par with the destkop version.
Windows 10 mobile is fine if you'll stop panicking like little girls about nothing. Jumping to Android or iOS won't give you the livetiles, security and upcoming stability that w10m provides. If you’re leaving for apps, then you are stupid in the first place. Why have you ever been on w10m if you care so much for apps?
The apps have to come via the destkop+xbox market share. That's why they focused on those devices.

permo

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Hey Crise;

I totally agree with your opinion upon future development of WM. As I wrote in another forum I am quite happy with my 950XL and the build 14295.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree on some fronts, but you also have to remember that developers have to want apps to be mobile-friendly. If they won't set up a contextual UI for that experience, they might also just not make the apps available on the W10M Store. While the "we're not focused on mobile this year" just seems to say that they're letting the platform's apps develop while getting the 2017 hardware push ready (including the Surface Phone), it also isn't a good thing when they released a half-finished OS, then say they're not focused on it.

It's 2016. The platform's been out since 2010. It's never felt like the focus, and the stability that got a few users interested to start has deteriorated as they treat the platform like an Insider-only offering (meaning expect bugs as it's prepped). The platform's like an eternal beta, and while we all expect that UWP through PC is what can drive the mobile experience, it's also not good when that mobile platform's advantages and potential are willfully ignored at the developer-focused conference that's the best hope to get those developers looking at W10M.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
it also isn't a good thing when they released a half-finished OS, then say they're not focused on it

Don't think it was meant quite that way.. Probably more a thing of "you won't be getting mind-boggling features right now" :) if the next desktop insider version is released without a version for mobile users then you have my permission to panic :p

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Although I mostly agree, I can't help but be a little afraid that the market share will keep decreasing and that this will lead to even less interest from developers on the mobile front. Hope not. I also think MS needs to keep releasing more Lumias like before, at least until the mobile situation improves. WP is 2nd in Brazil, for now, but we still don't have any x50 series phones. Obviously this isn't good.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Although I mostly agree, I can't help but be a little afraid that the market share will keep decreasing and that this will lead to even less interest from developers on the mobile front. Hope not. I also think MS needs to keep releasing more Lumias like before, at least until the mobile situation improves. WP is 2nd in Brazil, for now, but we still don't have any x50 series phones. Obviously this isn't good.

With low marketshare we should always be afraid :p MS wants other OEMs to take over the WP business (not all of it, but a large chunk). They've already stated that they'll be toning it down when it comes to making new phones. Instead they'll go for 1 or maybe 2 per year, for the rest they're expecting others to pick it up

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys are getting it all wrong. Don't panic.
Practically everything that was shown at build's first keynote is directly related to mobile as well. The bots, Hello integration in Edge, it will all come to mobile as well.
You guys need to stop thinking in terms of devices or form factor. Windows 10 = Windows 10. They simply chose to present it all via the desktop OS because that’s faster and more reliable for a presentation and more people can relate to it because it has a bigger market share.
Microsoft just recently announced spectacular features for mobile. Continuum for example. The whole experience needs to be improved and that will take a year. Nothing wrong with that. Furthermore, lots of new things will come to w10m this year. Perhaps nothing spectacular, but that’s fair. You can’t come up with something spectacular each month.
The next wave of spectacular for mobile is the Surface phone. Until that time mobile simply needs to grow up and stay on par with the destkop version.
Windows 10 mobile is fine if you'll stop panicking like little girls about nothing. Jumping to Android or iOS won't give you the livetiles, security and upcoming stability that w10m provides. If you’re leaving for apps, then you are stupid in the first place. Why have you ever been on w10m if you care so much for apps?
The apps have to come via the destkop+xbox market share. That's why they focused on those devices.

True it will come to W10M after it's on Android & IOS. Look you guys need to really just accept the fact that 98.4% of MS customers DO NOT use W10M. SO what do you do if literally ALL your customers are on those platforms? You flood them with your apps, services & new platforms(Bots, etc) Every existing app, new app, service, new service & platform was demoed on the platforms where their customers are. I just left my left for dead ICON for a GS7 loaded it up with all MS products & really don't miss anything & all I can see is that MS will be integrating the hell out of their apps, services & new platforms into Android & to the best extent possible IOS

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You flood them with your apps, services & new platforms(Bots, etc) Every existing app, new app, service, new service & platform was demoed on the platforms where their customers are

Fully aware of this strategy :D but mi thinks OP is gearing more towards those that suddenly started screaming louder and louder that they are leaving. We're staying because we think there is a long game and most of the core users aren't looking for what iOS/Android has to offer, they/we just want the OS we have right now (with the minimal marketshare and all) to work as fluidly as 8.0/8.1

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The new features of Windows 10 aren't impressive either. Actually, the only interesting announcement was the support for Linux user mode on Windows.

By the end of the year, the user base of W10m will be very small. Just half of the WP8 phones is going to be updated and sales of new devices are falling of a cliff. Besides, the adoption of Windows 10 on PCs has been slower than expected
I don't think the few developers working on universal apps have any incentive to go an extra mile to support the phone. As Myerson said in that interview, don't lose your time with WP, develop iOS and Android apps to target phone users.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Fully aware of this strategy :D but mi thinks OP is gearing more towards those that suddenly started screaming louder and louder that they are leaving. We're staying because we think there is a long game and most of the core users aren't looking for what iOS/Android has to offer, they/we just want the OS we have right now (with the minimal marketshare and all) to work as fluidly as 8.0/8.1

I'm one of those who just left the phone platform but am still all things MS otherwise & after switching to a GS7 & loading a Windows launcher & all MS apps & services I really can't believe I didn't switch sooner.

I really think MS new strategy is moving past the "Mobile" era, that fight was lost years ago. They are setting the stage where their apps, services & platforms run everywhere. They don't care what device you access them from because all the apps, platforms & services are cloud based & back end stuff that doesn't care where the data is being sent to or received from. I'll say it again, they have moved on from the phone platform centric game & are hell bent on getting their apps, services & cloud platforms in the hands of 98.4% of their customers how ever & which ever way they can. I really think in the near future it won't matter what device you're on to be tied to MS services..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of those who just left the phone platform but am still all things MS otherwise & after switching to a GS7 & loading a Windows launcher & all MS apps & services I really can't believe I didn't switch sooner.

I really think MS new strategy is moving past the "Mobile" era, that fight was lost years ago. They are setting the stage where their apps, services & platforms run everywhere. They don't care what device you access them from because all the apps, platforms & services are cloud based & back end stuff that doesn't care where the data is being sent to or received from. I'll say it again, they have moved on from the phone platform centric game & are hell bent on getting their apps, services & cloud platforms in the hands of 98.4% of their customers how ever & which ever way they can. I really think in the near future it won't matter what device you're on to be tied to MS services..
And that's lovely for you but the bulk of us here do not want android.

RRegardless if I can use Microsoft services, I have zero interest in anything google makes and the os is tragic to me.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The new features of Windows 10 aren't impressive either. Actually, the only interesting announcement was the support for Linux user mode on Windows.

By the end of the year, the user base of W10m will be very small. Just half of the WP8 phones is going to be updated and sales of new devices are falling of a cliff. Besides, the adoption of Windows 10 on PCs has been slower than expected
I don't think the few developers working on universal apps have any incentive to go an extra mile to support the phone. As Myerson said in that interview, don't lose your time with WP, develop iOS and Android apps to target phone users.
Slower than expected? Microsoft just said that this is their most well received windows yet and we haven't quite hit a year yet and they already are at 1/3 of their 1 billion total devices.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't panic, w10m is fine

The last thing I do with any Windows Mobile announcement is panic (actually I wouldn't panic at all.)
As a Windows phone user I have learned to take the bumpiness in stride.
Sometimes the news is up...sometimes it's down and that's simply the nature of this beast.

Anyone in a panic or freaking out might want to get a breath of fresh air.
If Windows mobile is along for the ride within Microsoft's plans for this universal thing then that's cool.
It's now time to settle into another waiting period for mobile Windows.
There's nothing to gain from stress.

Be brave eat a hotdog with hot mustard, pet your cat or dog or go outside and talk to someone that could care less about smartphones.
Whatever you do I advise moving forward to something productive.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
And that's lovely for you but the bulk of us here do not want android.

Interesting.
From what I see there are a number of dual platform users (self included) filling in the gaps with Android.

What is so evil about denying oneself function by using Android for what is needed?
I just don't see your logic Micah.
Windows phone apps just don't fill in where competing platforms do.

I do admire your strict following of the Windows platform and Lumia/Microsoft.
Windows simply does not infuse confidence with many fans who really do wish it would fly high.

Sorry my friend it's time to remove the rose colored glasses.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

So all W10M offers is just live tiles and security now? That's really going to win over people. I remember when it used to have much more than that with stability to boot.

I do agree about leaving the platform because of lack of apps. At this point it's just silly. Windows Phone was never about the quantity of apps. It was about the stylish and unique design language, stability and potential for amazing things. Sigh.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why I can't get worried about Microsoft plans with Windows Phone. I remain confident that it is here to stay but it has some baggage to get rid of if it intends to be successful. Moreover, don't be surprised because haters are gonna hate.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
However, there's a big hole for apps that don't really have a point outside of mobile. Where will those come from, and who knows if they would even want to?

Like for example, it's great that there's Uber, but why is there no companion app for the Uber drivers? I guess Uber or Microsoft assumes that Windows Phone users only ride and they don't drive.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Slower than expected? Microsoft just said that this is their most well received windows yet and we haven't quite hit a year yet and they already are at 1/3 of their 1 billion total devices.

They needed a lot more than 333 million devices in the first year. The adoption rate is slowing down. Maybe 600-800 million devices is more realistic.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
With low marketshare we should always be afraid :p MS wants other OEMs to take over the WP business (not all of it, but a large chunk). They've already stated that they'll be toning it down when it comes to making new phones. Instead they'll go for 1 or maybe 2 per year, for the rest they're expecting others to pick it up
I understand that's what they want, hopefully it might work after all. We can only have patience... Again. But it's also a relief to know that UWP doesn't make sense without mobile, so I don't think WM is going away.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't think it was meant quite that way.. Probably more a thing of "you won't be getting mind-boggling features right now" :) if the next desktop insider version is released without a version for mobile users then you have my permission to panic :p

I don't think "panic" will ever be my response. The problem is that I can't say that I find W10M to be any more stable today than when I started with it 6 months ago. I know part of that is because I'm in the preview program that keeps churning out pre-production software, but it still isn't a good thing when I have to run a phone update because the audio stops working without warning or notice when I get off work. I don't need mind-boggling features, but I would at least like the ones I had on WP8. In working towards the future, it just seems like Microsoft is repeatedly overlooking basic things across their platforms. The rush to shove the cloud down our throats makes local media management a nightmare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb