Windows 10 mobile on the Lumia 1520?

cosmicjourney

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone had many problems with w10m? Ive had it on my Nokia 1520 for about a week and it's running really well, so what about everyone else...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone had many problems with w10m? Ive had it on my Nokia 1520 for about a week and it's running really well, so what about everyone else...

You will find a small percentage of users with a high number of issues with W10M. The majority (I am tentatively saying 85%) have minimal issues

As you have said, it is running well for you so that's goodq

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Runs well on all my devices although every single one of them, from my 950's, 950xls, 640's and 640xl's, live tiles are an issue. Cortana's stops dead after 11 minutes (bit random eh?), maps tile also stops after half an hour or so. Cortana is a basket case and has just reminded me of an event from yesterday! Strangely, Windows Central live tile operates brilliantly and has never stopped! How can a multi billion dollar company not get this right, yet a couple of guys can? I am amazed.

Apart from the above it runs really well with no crashes or hang ups. The only other thing that niggles me is that, the 950's and 950xl's seem a little under used / utilised. Mine don't run much better than my daughters 930.

PS, I'm in UK

lpj_640

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I had no issues for the first few days (running .164). Slowly bugs started creeping in

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yea the users complaining are so few that Microsoft itself made this "upgrade" optional to 8.1 phones, while forcing every pc since the XP era to get w10, majority of wp users are low end devices now right? so probably going from bad performance to yet more bad performance isn't noticeable at all, or they are coming from laggy droids and get the same effect

as cabbie said, this software is so bluntly bad optimized that you can barely see a difference between 930 and 950, and its not that they perform at lightning speeds and therefore cant go faster, a 930 on 8.1 is noticeably faster than one on 10

venki m

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Cortana is not available in India:(... But Microsoft said in build 10586 it Will be available... Ant one getting Cortana working in India without changing the region or speech???

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
On my Lumia 535 DS with English (India),Cortana shows news,weather ,interests and also reminders set from Cortana on my laptop (fully functional on my laptop with W10 with English India).But I cannot get her to speak or set a reminder on my mobile with Cortana.Also my speech to text is not working ,it shows 'try again ' when I press the microphone.Is some setting missing ?

BlankFrank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I updated my 1520 a little over a week ago. Unlike you, my experience hasn't been so pleasant.

Don't get me wrong. I adore this phone and I really like Windows 10 on my laptop and tablet. But to be honest, I'm hating Windows 10 Mobile a little more every day. I'm enjoying the bigger assortment of available apps, but that's just about the only good thing I have to say about the new operating system. I find it glitchy and slow and (frankly) more than a bit ugly. Windows 8.1 for phone was beautiful and smooth and refined. I find it hard to believe that it evolved into this.

I'm curious, did you do a hard reset after installation? Did that make a big difference? To tell the truth, if I'm going to go through that lengthy process, I'm really tempted to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool and take my 1520 back to 8.1.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Like you, I updated my 1520 a little over a week ago. Unlike you, my experience hasn't been so pleasant.

Don't get me wrong. I adore this phone and I really like Windows 10 on my laptop and tablet. But to be honest, I'm hating Windows 10 Mobile a little more every day. I'm enjoying the bigger assortment of available apps, but that's just about the only good thing I have to say about the new operating system. I find it glitchy and slow and (frankly) more than a bit ugly. Windows 8.1 for phone was beautiful and smooth and refined. I find it hard to believe that it evolved into this.

I'm curious, did you do a hard reset after installation? Did that make a big difference? To tell the truth, if I'm going to go through that lengthy process, I'm really tempted to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool and take my 1520 back to 8.1.

If you just update from 8.1, it's recommended an hard reset for a clean w10 o.s. and core apps 10 version install

Ian Dobbs

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had mostly plain sailing with my 640 on WM10. I really like it. I did need to do a hard rest once I'd upgraded, but to be honest, that wan't a big deal and it didn't take a lot of effort. It was actually really simple. I was surprised how smooth it went. Do the hard rest, log back in with your details and everything downloads from you backups automatically. Easy.

I did love the look and feel of 8.1, and it took me a day or two to get used to WM10, but I think I like it better than 8.1 now. It's not exactly wildly different, so it's hard to see why if you liked 8.1 you wouldn't like 10?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I find it glitchy and slow and (frankly) more than a bit ugly. Windows 8.1 for phone was beautiful and smooth and refined. I find it hard to believe that it evolved into this.

I have been reading about users finding WM10 ugly...may I know your reasoning?

WM10 overall is faster on my 1520, in fact the RedStone build is even faster than 10586.164. I am on the AT&T variant so I haven't received the newer pre-WM10-update firmware yet to iron out the experience. Yes, I did hard reset after the update so may be that's why my experience varies?

Jameelah Sisawala

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
After thr upgrade my default language setting had been changed to Arabic. I've tried to change it back to english just going by what little arabic I can read. It doesn't work. If I hard reset my phone all my data will be lost right? But will it fix the language issue?

Maddy90

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Cortana is not available in India:(... But Microsoft said in build 10586 it Will be available... Ant one getting Cortana working in India without changing the region or speech???

Cortana is available in India. You can use Cortana with English (India) as the Language and India as the Region. It is available on both PC and Mobile from build 10586, as stated by Microsoft.

Maddy90

May 11, 2015
Visit site
If I hard reset my phone all my data will be lost right? But will it fix the language issue?

Yes, a hard reset will remove all the data associated with your device, but you'll able to fix that language issue.

Are you sure you're trying to change the language in the right way? Make sure you've watched any tutorial video on YouTube before you go for a hard reset. As you can't read Arabian, just follow the steps shown in any standard video. I think that will spare you of getting through the trouble of resetting your device!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I went through insiders, I HAD to do a hard reset a week after initial install and it improved by miles, since then I haven't had to do any more hard resets and it has been smooth all the way.

So to me it does look like it is advisable to do one especially if you are having issues, just make sure you back up etc.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
but to be honest, that wan't a big deal and it didn't take a lot of effort. It was actually really simple. I was surprised how smooth it went. Do the hard rest, log back in with your details and everything downloads from you backups automatically. Easy.

Hard reset isn't as easy as you make out. You lose chat history for whatsapp, you lose certain apps that could only be downloaded while on 8.1 and some have reported of messages syncing slowly or not at all

Jameelah Sisawala

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes, a hard reset will remove all the data associated with your device, but you'll able to fix that language issue.

Are you sure you're trying to change the language in the right way? Make sure you've watched any tutorial video on YouTube before you go for a hard reset. As you can't read Arabian, just follow the steps shown in any standard video. I think that will spare you of getting through the trouble of resetting your device!

Yeah did everything right and it works too but only for a bit. It keeps defaulting back to Arabic every few minutes. And all of my apps keep crashing, I think I have to do the hard reset.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hard resets are indeed a pain in the ***, however the true experience can be had by doing so. I hadn't done a hard reset since getting this Lumia 735 more than a year ago. I went through w10 insider fast and got several updates. It wasn't until this last update that the system got quirky on me so I had no choice but to hard reset. This thing runs smooth now with the latest W10 version installed. Some apps are quirky or broken still, but I attribute that to a poor app design and not the base OS as much.

Maddy90

May 11, 2015
Visit site
You lose chat history for WhatsApp, you lose certain apps that could only be downloaded while on 8.1 and some have reported of messages syncing slowly or not at all

No, chat history for WhatsApp will not be lost after a hard reset if you have copied the backup folder to an external memory. To get back all your chat history after a reset, you can always move that folder to your device memory.

That unavailability issue in Win10M is there, but that is for a very few number of apps. Nearly all the W8.1P apps are available in W10M store.

In most of the cases, the hard reset is far smoother than that of anticipated by a user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion