Windows 10 Apps name changed to @microsoft. and won't open. What can I do?

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 Apps name changed to @{microsoft. and won't open

Hello all,

The other day my parents were using our laptop and couldn't open some apps. I checked and most of the default windows apps were now called @{Microsoft.WindowsStore.(bunch of numbers and letters), @{Microsoft.Weather.(numbers and letters), etc. The ones I can remember are the Store, Camera, Weather, Messaging, News and the others (about 10 more) I can't remember. None of them open. Also, I noticed that Jpegs and PNGs don't open. In Settings/Default Apps they all say TWINUI (even Maps) and can't be changed. When I try, it crashes. I've tried WSReset and a few other things but they haven't worked.

However, in my user session, everything works fine. One work around I found is to right-click every image we open and manually select to open with Picture viewer or gallery and it seems to work.

Should I consider reinstalling W10? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Apps name changed to @{microsoft. and won't open

I went through something similar by foolishly running a PowerShell script that used to fix issues with Modern Apps but since 10586, destroys them completely.

Here's a page on SuperUser with some repair steps, and you're linked to what I had to ultimately do to repair the problem on my machine without losing any data by doing a full wipe/reinstall.

Broken Startmenu on AD-User on Windows 10 - Super User

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! I'll look into this. I believe that I, too, may have run one of those PowerShell scripts but not in my parents' session. I remember running one that fixed my session's WStore not downloading.

Thanks again, Saijin_Naib. I'll try this out tonight.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

Well a much easier way of doing it is creating a new login and give it admin rights (google creating a new account with admin rights). After restarting you see the typical hellp message as Windows build your user profile. Once it was done I went back and logged in as the old account and under C:\users\accountame i moved the folders to the new account name under c:\users and all my pictures, docs and dektop icons were available under both users. I didn't have to install anyof the apps but I did test to see if they ran.

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Just to update you guys, the Superuser link helped 99%. Everything is working great except for the Windows store. WSReset says the directory is invalid or something like that. Very thankful for the help! Will try to fix the store issue tomorrow.

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Well a much easier way of doing it is creating a new login and give it admin rights (google creating a new account with admin rights). After restarting you see the typical hellp message as Windows build your user profile. Once it was done I went back and logged in as the old account and under C:\users\accountame i moved the folders to the new account name under c:\users and all my pictures, docs and dektop icons were available under both users. I didn't have to install anyof the apps but I did test to see if they ran.

Is there a way to do this and just copy the files for the store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234