Windows 10 Mobile or Roll Back to 8.1?

ScorpioJonesy

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm am about to hard reset my phone for the second time in 5 days, which is really bad. I actually left the insider program as I wanted a more stable release and the first bug I get prevents me installing the latest update. Worse if you consider it was a fresh WDRT 8.1 > W10 upgrade > Hard reset > basic app installs no backup.

I will give W10M one more go as it has some killer features but they are being out weighed by some really poor bugs. A couple of examples...
Poor camera and frequent upload issues to one drive
Text message sync not working
Bluetooth audio integration is just garbage
Groove is garbage

The last two are my biggest complaints as in 8.1 I could turn my car on and it would connect everytime and start the music where I left off. The only exception was if I had played another audio app and not re-opend the music app - which is to be expected I suppose. Since I have been using W10M via preview and now production builds this part of the OS has been unacceptably unreliable.

To sum up my frustrations / rant - they have failed to deliver on the basics, worse still it is the basics that worked so well in 8.1

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm am about to hard reset my phone for the second time in 5 days, which is really bad. I actually left the insider program as I wanted a more stable release and the first bug I get prevents me installing the latest update. Worse if you consider it was a fresh WDRT 8.1 > W10 upgrade > Hard reset > basic app installs no backup.

I will give W10M one more go as it has some killer features but they are being out weighed by some really poor bugs. A couple of examples...
Poor camera and frequent upload issues to one drive
Text message sync not working
Bluetooth audio integration is just garbage
Groove is garbage

The last two are my biggest complaints as in 8.1 I could turn my car on and it would connect everytime and start the music where I left off. The only exception was if I had played another audio app and not re-opend the music app - which is to be expected I suppose. Since I have been using W10M via preview and now production builds this part of the OS has been unacceptably unreliable.

To sum up my frustrations / rant - they have failed to deliver on the basics, worse still it is the basics that worked so well in 8.1

You are missing the phone model and the build >.<
How can we hel you? Win10 10586 is stable and works

ScorpioJonesy

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 930 on 10.0.10586.164 going to 10.0.10586.218. I just did a reset and wipe and from a base 164 I cant go to 218, end up with it rebooting to install and then bombing out after a couple of mins. Loads back in 164 and reports error code 0x801882c1.

ScorpioJonesy

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 930 on 10.0.10586.164 going to 10.0.10586.218. I just did a reset and wipe and from a base 164 I cant go to 218, end up with it rebooting to install and then bombing out after a couple of mins. Loads back in 164 and reports error code 0x801882c1.

Did another WDRT 8.1 > W10 and this time it took the .218 update.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using WM10 for a week now and before today I have been able to ignore some of the bugs in it. But the truth of the matter remains: WM10 is still beta software. It's buggy, sometimes laggy, scrolling is annoyingly glitchy, there's no notification for app updates nor are there dates for the latest updates of apps. The Facebook apps looks great but most posts I make either get posted while the app still says "Posting..." or they post twice, I can't get my SMS to be restored from backup, I can't keep any media file on my SD card without it appearing in Groove, it lags or glitches most of the time, etc.

On the flipside, the interface looks amazing, the settings are so much easier to navigate, the new apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) are sooo much better than their previous versions for 8.1.

But I may roll back to 8.1 today and maybe wait a couple of months. It's definitely going to be amazing when it's finished though.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed games lagging in w10m. My Lumia 640 was running GT: Racing pretty good even when it was installed in the SD card when the phone was in 8.1. When I updated to w10m, the game performance was going from lagging to crashing even when I moved the game to phone memory.

Has anyone running the game faced this issue?

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Love the new UI in 10 unlike a lot of people here and I have no problem with hamburgers. Facebook works a bit better, Windows Central app is much better (even if I still prefer the Android version). Battery life is about what I got on 8.1, not great but acceptable. Office apps are also so much better on 10.

But I do not quite get why MS released W10m in such a buggy state. To me it should have been delayed by a year, I would be real pissed off if I had bought a 950/950XL. The software is not unusable, but there are so many annoying bugs almost everywhere (lags, the fact that I need to reboot my phone each time I want to use Internet sharing, Edge that crashed 5 times a day...).

But what annoys me the most is the fact that MS "upgraded" my L830 without even bothering updating the firmware which results in more device specific bugs. I do not expect the firmware will ever be updated, after all it is a Nokia phone, not a MS.

So I decided to roll back to my Nexus 5 with its so-so display (the 720p in the L830 is better IMO), its lousy camera (no comparison with L830 here) and its disastrous battery life. I will surely leave 10 on my Lumia since it isn't my daily driver anymore, who knows MS might pull something amazing someday.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It has taken a long time but I am starting to see the polish return to the apps in Windows 10 Mobile that were there since WP 7. My experience with Groove Music is only just this weekend getting to what I had with Zune on my Lumia 900.

It has been a long road but worth the travel. I am loving being able to run the same apps on Desktop, tablet and phone.

With all the almost daily updates things are getting better.

With all the improvements happening each update there is no way I would go back to 8.1. I have a Lumia 950 as my daily driver and keep my trusty Yellow 1020 to hand.

I am going to keep the 1020 on Windows 10 Mobile. The elegance and refinement that is going on is worth it.

Last edited:

ScorpioJonesy

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Nearly reinstalled 8.1 today as on my way to work the trip was silent due to my Bluetooth not connected and Groove not starting to play music (even though I launch it manually and treid to start a song). However I remember back to an earlier build when I had similar issues after I played with the Device Hub (now Gadgets app). I removed the Devices Hub / Gadgets app and suddenly my Bluetooth is connecting in seconds.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I have my 950 running.218 and so is my 1020. I am having a 640 picked up for me in the states $29! It will be used for testing Redstone builds.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
8.1 kills W10M. There is like zero lag in 8.1 and as of a month ago when I got rid of my 950XL that thing was extremely laggy, but my 920 still runs like butter.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
8.1 kills W10M. There is like zero lag in 8.1 and as of a month ago when I got rid of my 950XL that thing was extremely laggy, but my 920 still runs like butter.

Thank you, Capt. Obvious, your saved our Lives.
Else my 10 yrs core duo notebook flyes with Xp, but it should get the half of actual daily functons

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, Capt. Obvious, your saved our Lives.
Else my 10 yrs core duo notebook flyes with Xp, but it should get the half of actual daily functons

I dont under stand? Are you saying that it's obvious that the 950 XL with W10M is extremely laggy? I didn't say anything about windows XP and old PCs. I thought we were talking about WM10 vs 8.1.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I dont under stand? Are you saying that it's obvious that the 950 XL with W10M is extremely laggy? I didn't say anything about windows XP and old PCs. I thought we were talking about WM10 vs 8.1.

I think what he meant is that it's obvious that Windows Phone 8.1 would run better on older hardware like your 920 than WM10 does in its current state. Like XP runs better on older computers than Windows 10 would.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo