Why are vidoes playing intermittently on Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9350). Whenever i shutdown my computer and start it up, videos that are downloaded to my computer as well as videos streamed online such as on YouTube don't ever play. They just keep buffering but never actually start. Whenever i reset my computer however, everything plays fine.

I've done a clean boot and clean install and none of those have helped the problem. Everything works fine in the beginning but the moment i turn off the computer and start it up again the problem returns. Anytime i do a restart instead of a shutdown everything is fine. The problem happens on every browser from edge to chrome and firefox. I've even downloaded and updated every driver on dells website which helps in the beginning but goes back to the same problem after a shutdown.

The problem happens on every website that has a playable video, any app i downloaded that streams videos, and any actual video file locally downloaded on my comouter that run on media players. I'm running Windows 10. Any thoughts on the problem?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Restart and Shutdown are different things because of Fast Startup. Shutdown is more like a hibernate and tries to reuse drivers without restarting them. I guess your PC has a driver that is incompatible. You need to first use Windows Feedback to report a Driver issue and say Fast Startup is not supported on your PC.

Then go into Power Options in the control panel and select "Choose what the Power buttons do".

At the bottom you'll see Fast Startup. Turn that off. (There is an option a the top to unlock the option).

It is possible that a driver update will later fix this and make it work on your PC, so perhaps in six months retry enabling, but for today disabling this will fix the problem.

dmoheisen

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! This worked great! I spent hours trying to figure out this issue, calling Dell technical support and Microsft technical support and you got it right in one simple response. I was about to give up on this computer but now I'll keep it.

Thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss