continuum (dock) vs compute stick

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I was looking for a laptop in amazon. I stumbled upon Intel's 'compute stick' the price had me wonder (it was on sale too) how microsoft's own display dock fares against it. Share your thoughts on it.

Does continuum have an advantage over stick pcs or is it a niche feature.

pdaneophyte

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Personally, I would take the stick, so I can use the desktop PC version of programs I use. Which version of the stick is this? The old Atom Baytrail CPU? If it is I would get the big storage version (I think 32 GB and 2 GB RAM) and wipe out the OS and install a lightweight Linux distribution on it.

Using continuum or compute stick you would still need a keyboard, mouse and monitor (or HDMI port TV/monitor for compute stick) to be productive. If wherever you go you will ALWAYS get access to that, then go ahead use it, otherwise get a laptop.

Continuum dock makes sense if you can borrow a PC. It is good if you don't have a desk on your workplace, or you are a traveling support or salesmen who can get access to customer PC without leaving any virus / security leak on the host. That's about the only usefulness of it.

Compute stick makes sense driving a display for advertising, kiosk or whatever. Or making power point presentations on other people projectors. It might work as an MS Office VDI terminal for a call center or bank tellers. Otherwise it is currently lacking as a HTPC or a PC replacement.

I would prefer Intel's NUC personally, the Skylake CPU ones are looking nice for HTPC, but it's price is almost the same as a good laptop. Not good enough for a gaming LAN party or Xbox / PS4 replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon