How can I fix this Windows Backup bug and get it to work?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that, for Windows 10 and its built in backup (File History), it has a rather bad bug.

Basically, when you go to the Advanced Backup Options menu and it lists the backup folders that it will backup this whole mechanism is a mess.

1) If you start removing those folders it will just close the menu and refuse to open again.
2) If you manage to delete all the folders and add your own backup folders, after you click 'Backup Now' the screen exits and you cannot access it again
3) If again you add your own backup folders the Windows Backup menu never remebers them and reverts back to its default list.

How can I fix this or does anyone recommend another backup solution?

Thanks.

Ian.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that, for Windows 10 and its built in backup, it has a rather bad bug.

Basically, when you go to the Advanced Backup Options menu and it lists the backup folders that it will backup this whole mechanism is a mess.

1) If you start removing those folders it will just close the menu and refuse to open again.
2) If you manage to delete all the folders and add your own backup folders, after you click 'Backup Now' the screen exits and you cannot access it again
3) If again you add your own backup folders the Windows Backup menu never remebers them and reverts back to its default list.

How can I fix this or does anyone recommend another backup solution?

Thanks.

Ian.

What is it that you're trying to backup, where are you backing up and what size is it?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Essentially, yes. But it contains my music colle ction which I always update so I want a way to just back it all up regulalrly and automatically without having to think about it. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Ian

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Essentially, yes. But it contains my music colle ction which I always update so I want a way to just back it all up regulalrly and automatically without having to think about it. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Ian

yes, it does actually. I was hoping that it would be something static. I'm afraid I'm out of devices. Could you try microsoft contact centres for more help? Do a chat with the technical team and see if they can help you out

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Can I just ask how they would be able to help me? I seem to have always had this issue with Windows 10, regardless of what USB device I use for the backup. This bug lead me to use the built in Dell Backup Solution but, ideally, I want to use Windows 10.

Thanks.

Ian

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I just use the file history instead. Seems more intuitive. Automatic and works for me to an external hard drive. And it is more fine grained.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I just use the file history instead. Seems more intuitive. Automatic and works for me to an external hard drive. And it is more fine grained.

Sorry, I apologise. I meant that this bug happens with the File History option. Can you replicate the bugs I have mentioned above?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Xcopy?

Right click the desktop, create a text file and enter the following: (Once finished change the filename from notepad.txt to backup. bat) (You'll have to have extensions set to show)

Example:
xcopy /c /h /g /r /s /k /e /d /j /y c:\Docs\*.* D:\Backup

if it gets complicated with spaces within folder names you'll have to enclose each part with "c:\My Documents\Folder list\*.*"

You can also add the shutdown option to shutdown the computer.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks eeryone for the suggestions.

Synctoy sounds interesting. Right now I have to use the built in Dell backup tool to achieve my goal.

Out of interest, can anyone else replicate the bugs I mentioned on their Windows 10 PC?

Thanks.

Ian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb