Status bar showing "L" instead of "LTE" after hard reset

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Extremely minor issue but, after a hard reset on my 950XL dual-sim, the status bar shows "L" where it used to show LTE. I'm on the .218 build. Now, it's possible that the update to .218 changed it but I could swear it showed "LTE" and "Bell LTE" in the status bar before the hard reset, even on .218. And it definitely showed LTE before that. Now it shows "L" for connection status and "Bell L" for sim 1 status. I'm still getting LTE speeds.

Anyone else seeing this? Can it be changed without another hard reset?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Extremely minor issue but, after a hard reset on my 950XL dual-sim, the status bar shows "L" where it used to show LTE. I'm on the .218 build. Now, it's possible that the update to .218 changed it but I could swear it showed "LTE" and "Bell LTE" in the status bar before the hard reset, even on .218. And it definitely showed LTE before that. Now it shows "L" for connection status and "Bell L" for sim 1 status. I'm still getting LTE speeds.

Anyone else seeing this? Can it be changed without another hard reset?
my 950xl single sim showed "L" on 14322 insider build and shows "4G" on 10586 production build....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is actually received from the carrier in the message signaling. For rogers i've always had L for their LTE-advanced network. It could be based on many things in the signaling messages, to tower connected to. MS can truncate the header though or choose "4G" on the carriers behalf if the carrier doesn't provide the info in the messaging.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
This is actually received from the carrier in the message signaling. For rogers i've always had L for their LTE-advanced network. It could be based on many things in the signaling messages, to tower connected to. MS can truncate the header though or choose "4G" on the carriers behalf if the carrier doesn't provide the info in the messaging.

Interesting. I find it odd, given the association of "LTE" with speed in public perception, that Bell would choose to change it to a less-meaningful initial intentionally.

No matter - all is good and I have received the needed confirmation that I am not going crazy.

By the way, poopyfinger, you can see from my orginal post in this thread that I followed your advice to do a hard reset and it has solved my main issues. Just waiting now for battery usage to stabilize - still seems higher on standby since I did the reset last Saturday evening.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I find it odd, given the association of "LTE" with speed in public perception, that Bell would choose to change it to a less-meaningful initial intentionally.

No matter - all is good and I have received the needed confirmation that I am not going crazy.

By the way, poopyfinger, you can see from my orginal post in this thread that I followed your advice to do a hard reset and it has solved my main issues. Just waiting now for battery usage to stabilize - still seems higher on standby since I did the reset last Saturday evening.

Get the speedtest app if you are worried. Rogers is the only one who has implemented LTE-advanced. This is what they consider true LTE. It's blazing fast. The best part is if you get any reseller that piggy backs off their network you get the same speeds. public mobile gives you unlimited talk, texting, 1 gig of data for 30/month on a 90 day contract. Best part is you use rogers network.

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
My 650 has always had just the L for my LTE connection. I don't really care what it displays, as long as I keep getting my 30+ MB/s speeds :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium